• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From any Country-Put a free US VOIP Number on your Android Phone-Free US/Canada Calls

Ok, I'm having problems.

Phone: Motorola Droid

I'm using SIPDroid downloaded from the google code page.

I've followed the instructions three times now, installing/uninstalling, and rebooting my phone between each try, just to be safe.

I don't have a GV app installed.

I can make Outbound calls, but 1 of two things happens. Either I'm unable to hear them, or they can't hear me. Edit: Sometimes it's both, but then I put them on speaker and I'm able to hear them fine. The same doesn't work for the other side.

I can't receive calls, as they're sent directly to voicemail. I've deleted all voicemail settings in SIPGate.

I have both WiFi and G3 enabled, and I'm currently connected to my house's WiFi.

Any ideas on what's happening?

Here's a question, I have free outgoing long distance on my cell and home phone so google voice doesn't help me a lot there. But can I get a number in an area code in another state so my parents can dial it local to reach me?

Hi!
I just tried this out and I got a lot further than I expected with zero understanding of this when I read it!

OK...so I tried to make an outgoing call. I dialed the number and i got the fast busy tone. Sipdroid then hung up. About 2 seconds later my softphone on my PC popped up and completed the call....I could hear the voicemail of the number I just called from my droid over the softphone....so it appears I am controlling the softphone from my cell phone??

I got am email from GV telling me I had 5 voicemails. I checked them and the voicemails were of the call I should have been hearing....of myself picking up the phone I was calling saying "hello"

Under my dialplan tab I put exactly what you have in the first post. I am using Motorola Droid/Sipgate/Google Voice/Sipdroid. And again....I have no understanding of this at all! Please help me if you can. I am going to Costa Rica for a week soon and where I am staying has free wifi...id like to be able to make free calls (or just calls at all) from my droid.

See posts 16 and 18 in the thread and follow the instructions in the Sipgate site and in your dialplan in the SipSorcery site, based on if your Sipgate number is set up as a home or work number in GV.
Let me know if it fixes it for you. If you can't get it working before the trip, still delete your Sipgate softphone SIP location and set up a new one. And partially follow this tutorial. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wtpBeUhep3IkVYYxw&sig2=Nhu_cUXW3S8Kww9gWsXx5g
You would need to sign in to Sipdroid with your SG SIP credentials and use Evan's GV app to get callbacks on your Sipdroid app. Doesn't really function like a real phone, as the tutorial from this thread does, but it does the job.

Hi!
I just tried this out and I got a lot further than I expected with zero understanding of this when I read it!

OK...so I tried to make an outgoing call. I dialed the number and i got the fast busy tone. Sipdroid then hung up. About 2 seconds later my softphone on my PC popped up and completed the call....I could hear the voicemail of the number I just called from my droid over the softphone....so it appears I am controlling the softphone from my cell phone??

I got am email from GV telling me I had 5 voicemails. I checked them and the voicemails were of the call I should have been hearing....of myself picking up the phone I was calling saying "hello"

Under my dialplan tab I put exactly what you have in the first post. I am using Motorola Droid/Sipgate/Google Voice/Sipdroid. And again....I have no understanding of this at all! Please help me if you can. I am going to Costa Rica for a week soon and where I am staying has free wifi...id like to be able to make free calls (or just calls at all) from my droid.

So I have a HTC Touch that I installed 1.6 on it. So this phone doesn't wifi, but I do 3g plan. When I try to make a call using sipdroid it gives me the "no suitable data network available" error. I have the 3g option checked in the settings and not edge of wlan. So i don't know if it's registration error with sipsorcery or what. How do you know if it is registered with the sip provider? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob.

Good Thread! if i didnt have unlimited everything... well, i'd use it!

Me too. but what about international calls????? :confused: I am placing calls via tel3advantage but it is a nuisance. They developed an app for blackberry shortly before I changed to the droid :(
And while on the subject of international communications, does anyone know of an alternative for international SMS? I refuse to incur the vig for sending and receiving from international numbers. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom