• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2.2 OTA update

I am rooted and I just got the notice today.. so it can take some time to get around t users

to answer some general questions here

- yes you can root this of course
- a rooted version of this updated ROM FRG3D is even available from pete
- yes this would unroot you if your rooted and let it run
- yes you can stay rooted and blow off this whole update and stop the OTA noitce

Upvote 0
Same problem. Update came in last night around midnight. I loaded it and swype no longer works. I have a stock droid.

Any suggestions?

Although I am not installing this OTA update since I am rooted, I had this same problem with previous updates. I found the best thing to do was to uninstall Swype and the Swype installer. Then, I went to the Swype webpage, logged in with my email registered for the beta program, downloaded the installer, then installed Swype. Last step was to go into the keyboard settings to set Swype as my default keyboard.

This process worked for me with the past two updates.

Good Luck.

Reactions: GlassJoe
Upvote 0
I received my update a couple days ago in the morning. After this update is my droid supposed to say 2.2.2 in "about phone?" Cause it says 2.2.1.

I clicked on the update button and it seemed to take not even a minute before it was done. I haven't noticed much of a difference. The only thing I DO notice is that my loud speakers now sound like they are blown when playing music at full volume. I've had the phone since its release date with no issues, so maybe just a coincidence?

Upvote 0
Although I am not installing this OTA update since I am rooted, I had this same problem with previous updates. I found the best thing to do was to uninstall Swype and the Swype installer. Then, I went to the Swype webpage, logged in with my email registered for the beta program, downloaded the installer, then installed Swype. Last step was to go into the keyboard settings to set Swype as my default keyboard.

This process worked for me with the past two updates.

Good Luck.

This worked perfectly, thanks.

Upvote 0
I received the update this morning and swype stopped working. Anyone else have this problem? I'm unrooted if that matters.

The Swype beta from December expired March 9th.
Uninstall both the program and the installer and re-download/install, both.

I got the update today but since I had already updated Swype on the 9th, nothing changed.
Still worked just fine.

Upvote 0
As long as your are running the original stock ROM you should get this. If you have deleted a number of systems apps (and the update modifies them) or if you have an alternate recovery it will not update properly. The alternative recovery will block the update and if your missing systems apps that are needed that may create a problem.

Either way updates have always removed root (not a big deal as you can re-root but a pain in the neck anyway.)

What happens if this is happening to me? Is there anything I can do? I had my phone rooted a while ago and then unrooted it according to very careful instructions. And the OTA update stops halfway through installation. Please tell me I am not screwed.

Upvote 0
What happens if this is happening to me? Is there anything I can do? I had my phone rooted a while ago and then unrooted it according to very careful instructions. And the OTA update stops halfway through installation. Please tell me I am not screwed.

Does it give you an error? If so what does it say?
How did you unroot?
Did you remove any system apps or bloatware before unrooting?

The answers to these question will help us help you.

Upvote 0
Does it give you an error? If so what does it say?
How did you unroot?
Did you remove any system apps or bloatware before unrooting?

The answers to these question will help us help you.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't give me an error message, but it begins installing and then stops and has a picture of the folder with a "?" next to it. Then I have to pull out the batter in order to get my phone to work again.

I rooted with: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...olution-most-android-devices.html#post1732132

One of the things I had put on my phone when it was rooted was a particular keyboard. I didn't like it, so I decided to delete that file from my phone to get it back to normal.

Then I decided to unroot it using the same method I used to root it. There is an "unroot" feature to the application.

This was a few months ago, and now I am trying the OTA update and it is not working. My guess is I goofed when deleting that keyboard file. I must have deleted something I wasn't supposed to.

Upvote 0
Got my update a couple of days ago, and now I am having a problem where I will get both the wifi icon and the 3g icon on my status bar (when I am in a place where I can access wifi). The bigger problem is when this happens, I no longer recieve calls, texts or emails, nor can I make calls. Only a reboot fixes it. Anyone else see this issue?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help.

It doesn't give me an error message, but it begins installing and then stops and has a picture of the folder with a "?" next to it. Then I have to pull out the batter in order to get my phone to work again.

I rooted with: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...olution-most-android-devices.html#post1732132

One of the things I had put on my phone when it was rooted was a particular keyboard. I didn't like it, so I decided to delete that file from my phone to get it back to normal.

Then I decided to unroot it using the same method I used to root it. There is an "unroot" feature to the application.

This was a few months ago, and now I am trying the OTA update and it is not working. My guess is I goofed when deleting that keyboard file. I must have deleted something I wasn't supposed to.

That is probably a good guess. The best thing I can think of to do would be to install ROM manager, flash clockwork recovery, make a backup of your rom, goto Peter Alfonso goto the downloads section and download the frg83g .zip Stock System Files (either odexed or deodexed will work), put the .zip file on your sd card, (you can do this first if you want to just download it directly to your phone) re-verify that you still have clockwork recovery after the backup, and from the recovery menu wipe data and cache, then flash the .zip file. You should now have the updated and rooted version of 2.2.2.

If you don't wipe data and cache you may keep the same corruption that is causing the current problem.

One other thing to try before this is a factory reset, but I don't know if that will work with the damaged system files or if it will hang your phone up forcing you to use rsd lite.

If you don't understand what I just posted please ask for clarification or help before doing it. There are plenty of people who will be happy to help you and it's better to ask first than have to try and talk you through a botched flash.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones