• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 for Tesco?

o2 don't actually support the wildfire.... they dont sell it so i dontg think we can rely on them...... sigh, just want this update now
 
hey guys...got the wildfire on tesco mobile yesterday - i just got it because it was a really cheap deal (20 quid a month, 750 mins, unlimited texts and 500 mb on internet on a 12 month contract - 50 quid for the phone on the day)

anyway - i knew the phone itself was getting great reviews but I wasn't really on the ball when it came to android - a shame when I found out that apps couldnt be transferred to an SD card! apart from that i'm pleased with the phone so far, although it can't really cope with an app game like angry birds - unless anyone knows how to speed it up? pretty laggy...

sorry - back on topic, so like everyone else, i've done abit of research and see that everyone is eagerly awaiting the 2.2 update (froyo?) people have mentioned..and through the "system update" it keeps saying nothing is available....slightly annoying!

i think i'll ring tesco mobile tonight...but by the sounds of it they're not gunna know what I'm talking about - good product training eh? i'll let you know how i get on

ed - just read that HTC said that the 2.2 rollout will continue until February, maybe we'll just have to sit tight and wait!
 
I have had my wildfire for over a month (great phone), but I have not had an update to 2.2 yet. I bought it from Tesco (PAYG) but then transferred it to Virgin contract. I had to unlock the phone to do this. So not sure if I am waiting for Tesco roll out or Virgin.

One other problem that I have had is that I can not see some apps on the Android Market. I particularly want Robo Defense (a well known tower defense game). I would be very interested to know if other Wildfire's purchased from Tesco (or indeed other retailers) are able to see this game on the Android Market
 
I gave HTC a call yesterday and was informed that if the Wildfire was bought from Tesco, it's been 'locked' down for Tesco (O2 i'm guessing).

So, I rang Tesco mobile and they informed me that there's no release date, but they're aware of it. I pressed them, but not even idea of any timescales. Annoying to say the least... but not as annoying as being told by the person on the phone that maybe I should try another network if I need the features found in the update! :eek:
 
got a reply from HTC:

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to 2.2 update.
I can help you with that. HTC Wildfire users will be notified that the over-the-air update is available to download when their phone next automatically checks for software updates. The update won
 
mines locked on tesco.... ive tried everything even resetting the phone to factory settings, nothing works, HTC seemed sure when I spoke to them that tesco would be rolling it out on their own and hopefully pretty soon..... my tesco wildfire has tesco mobile internet so i guess it is branded........ just keep hoping lol


When you ring HTC you have to give them your IMEI number, on their system they can check if your phone is branded or not the told me locking to the network and bring branded is different, they said branded is when you actually have the network logo on the phone and your phone has specific network looking things.

I am on tesco the mose I have is tesco wap and cannot use other sims and thats it.

HTC said the branded i.e. vodafone, orange is getting from network providers. unbranded i.e. Carphoneware house, tesco brought etc will recieve OTA from HTC they said we have to be patient.

one of my post previously an other tesco wildfire user said they have already had the update.
 
From what ive seen on youtube,hacked versions of 2.2 and 2.3 dont run right;As your probably aware from all the wildfire froyo sites weve visited to sort this Tesco nightmare,well incovienience..
I guess all we can do is,wait and wait and wait...I have even found it hard to get unlocking code for this imei,3 companies returned my fee to say they cannot do.I wanna bang my one out on ebay,but how much for tesco and the grief....
I sold my Htc hero for this wildfire ,the hero ,which my wife still has is a much better phone,smoother......and can find apps on market that dont appear on my wildfire,(why is that).
i guess in car terms the hero when was like a top range motor,whereas the wildfire is a budget pegeuot,with fibre glass wings ,and a neon gearshift.
 
From what ive seen on youtube,hacked versions of 2.2 and 2.3 dont run right;

Could I suggest that you might be better off, if you want to find out about other ROMs, to look at the sites providing them rather than YouTube. I have been running "CyanogenMod-6.1 Stable" since mid December which gives me as described - A Stable running 2.2.1

 
Just checked on my Tesco branded phone and update was available. Currently downloading and hope all is going to be okay. Fingers crossed.
 
Well it took 33minutes, but its all done!! Not sure what I expected but everything looks the same as before!! Definitely 2.2.1 though.
 
From what ive seen on youtube,hacked versions of 2.2 and 2.3 dont run right;

Could I suggest that you might be better off, if you want to find out about other ROMs, to look at the sites providing them rather than YouTube. I have been running "CyanogenMod-6.1 Stable" since mid December which gives me as described - A Stable running 2.2.1
yes i was looking just at wildpuzzle,thanks for heads up !
"ill await a relible gingerbread "

Well you white tesco wildfire bunch,Froyo is here,what do you think ??????
im just waiting for my battery to charge....
 
All done on daughters and girlfriends wildfire....Just happy to be able to move apps to SD card now....Been using froyo on my Desire since launch and very happy...
 
Is anyone who has just done the update able to say if there are any differences other than moving apps to SD card? Any new apps/widgets added?
Cheers
 
To be honest, it doesn't look any different to me whatsoever. It might be different, but there are no obvious changes as far as I can see.
 
I've been trying to reply for over a week, but the site is blocked at my workplace...

Anyway, while on the phone to HTC again to let them know what Tesco told me, the update suddenly came through.

So my Wildfire now runs froyo. Very nice, but I'm not sold on HTC Sense and you no longer have the option to 'disable' it. Still, good to be up to date. Tethering is really nice! :)
 
not wanting to sound thick but.... what does the update do? do i need it? where do i get it? (im on tesco) and whats this about it stopping you disabling htc sense? whats that?!!
 
HTC Sense is the user interface that HTC put on their phones. It's what makes what's on the screen look like an HTC. It includes the big clock with the weather and the curved bit at the bottom and friendstream, and the ringer silencing when you flip it over and the text reflow when you zoom in on web pages.

Because 2.1 for wildfire has been out for long enough it has been hacked into and users can load other versions including basic/pure versions without HTC's sense user interface. Some of these versions give you full access to areas of the phone that are usually locked down.

Version 2.2 (froyo) hasn't been hacked into yet so there is only the official HTC version of it. Also when you upgrade to 2.2, it is virtually imposible to go back to 2.1
 
The update doesn't change much, For me the phone runs a little bit smoother and the battery lasts a tiny bit longer.

I have noticed that:

The screen rotates to landscape both ways (but not upside-down)

The camera will always take pictures the right way up (even if the phone is upside down)

There is a new torch (flashlight), it's less fiddly that the old one.

There is a new app called wifi hot spot which turns the phone into a MiFi type hotspot so that you can use the mobile internet data plan of the phone and connect wifi devices like your iPod-touch or laptop to the phone

And best of all you can now move some of your downloaded apps onto the SD card. This is good because the phone doesn't have loads of memory so if you download loads of apps you evevtually get low memory errors.
 
Hey getting my wildfire for christmas and i cant wait! Ive got a tesco mobile pay as you go and also a sim contract plan, was just wondering if anyone has got the froyo update for tesco? how does it work, does it go through o2?

Thanks,
Phil

I got my update ages ago. but Tesco signal is really bad..............:mad:
 
Back
Top Bottom