• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus to Maxx...VZW exchange ???

breynolds007

After speaking with VZW last night about the data connection issues with my Gnex and with a little persuasion, they offered to let me trade out for a Razr. Upon asking for the Maxx, she said absolutely not but gave me until tonight at 8pm to make a decision. I worry that I won't be happy with the regular Razr without a switchable battery, but the Maxx would be a great option due to the battery life. I'm already struggling with missing ICS and the GNex screen, but it's been over 5 months with no update...kinda defeats the purpose of having a Nexus. Has anyone been successful in switching out to the Maxx?

I have read either in this or the Nexus forums at least a couple people have been successful in making that same swap. I don't remember if they did it in-store or not, but I'm guessing it's just luck of the draw depending on who you talk to. My advice would be to call Verizon and keep calling until you get someone who will agree to make the swap.

After speaking with VZW last night about the data connection issues with my Gnex and with a little persuasion, they offered to let me trade out for a Razr. Upon asking for the Maxx, she said absolutely not but gave me until tonight at 8pm to make a decision. I worry that I won't be happy with the regular Razr without a switchable battery, but the Maxx would be a great option due to the battery life. I'm already struggling with missing ICS and the GNex screen, but it's been over 5 months with no update...kinda defeats the purpose of having a Nexus. Has anyone been successful in switching out to the Maxx?

I literally just took my lunch break from work and called Verizon and got transfered to Tier 2 tech support where they let me change to the Maxx. He was going to switch me to the regular Razr but I made a very good case for battery life (which wasn't good at all on my GNex) and I told him that I paid $300 for my GNex and I wanted a phone of equal value. He said that normally they wouldn't be able to do the Maxx for me, but he said that after looking at my account and seeing all of the calls I've made to them about this phone, that his supervisor (who he said is really cool) would have no objection letting me change to the Maxx. It will be in the mail tomorrow via FedEx.

I have been really disatisfied with Verizon over this GNex debacle, but I told him that since they let me switch to the Razr Maxx, they have totally made me a satisfied customer once again. They want their customers happy and satisfied. That is VERY important to Verizon, for quality assurance and ratings purposes. Tell them you won't be satisfied unless you have the Maxx. Just be cool, but reason with them that since you spent 300 bucks on the GNex you should be able to get a phone of equal value. That's what I said and he agreed.

Keep in mind, the tech guy I talked to was very nice and extremely helpful and he, himself, has the Razr Maxx. So, it may have just been the perfect combination to allow me to get the Maxx like I did. Keep calling and try to get someone more "cool" and I bet you can land the Maxx like I did. Best of luck!

I just got the Maxx a couple weeks ago (exchanged for gnex via phone with verizon). Went through 3 Gnex's trying to get one that wouldn't drop calls. I simply asked if the Maxx was an option. I also stated that I had purchased an extended battery for my Gnex. They didn't give me any hassle. I do miss some of the ICS but I wouldn't give up my Maxx to go back. The battery life on this thing is awesome.

That's strange. I called and explained my issues and the guy OFFERED maxx, I didn't even have to bring up wanting to swap phones and they didn't say anything about having to have a replacement nexus. I was only on the phone with them for 20mins

Edit: I want to add that I also told him I was on the IMM76K update and that my phone received it OTA and the signal issues were still not fixes. The update didn't show up in their system but he did a Google search and "verified" that it was available, this is when he offered me a maxx. He also was very apologetic because he said that he knew the signal problems were one of the original issue and that's it sucked that they weren't fixed. So he knew where I was coming from, he seemed like one of the more informed employees. I was very happy with the way they handled it

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to try some more and see if I can get someone to switch for the Maxx...which I think would keep me a happy customer.

Insist on a supervisor. Unfortunately, Maxx is difficult to get. My third one was an early upgrade, and it took a supervisor to push it through because it was on backorder.

I guess it really does just depend who you speak to. I called back and told the rep about my conversation last night and she immediately transferred me to tech support. The guy was super nice, when I explained that I appreciated the offer to switch to a Razr, but now I carry an extra battery to get me through the day with my Gnex, I'm just not sure I would be happy with the phone if I can't get through the day and cannot change the battery out.

His response was that he understood completely and suggested the Maxx as it's the same phone but wouldn't have the battery problem. I didn't have to even ask for it, he took care of ordering it quick and was very understanding and professional.

So different from the lady last night who was nice but first told me there was no way her supervisor would allow any device change...even if I was on my 15th device. But, then when checked with her supervisor, he gave her the discretion to decide in which she offered the Razr. When I asked about the Maxx, she said no way, and that is the first time she had ever had her supervisor allow her to switch to another device and he would cancel the offer if I asked for anything else. LOL.

Anyways, it should be here by Friday and looking forward to not having to worry about losing data all the time or battery life. Loved my DX, so the Razr Maxx should be a great option...even better when ICS hits! Happy Verizon still cares about its customers.

Verizon just sent me a MAXX but a like new replacement which I was fine with. Didn't have to beg just said gnex was horrible. Lol.

Well, it wasn't as simple as I thought ...

Got a call back today telling me that final approval was needed before they could ship it, and the request was rejected due to limited supply. So after offering me the Maxx and stating it would be here Friday, he backtracks and says it cannot be that device. Tries to send me a regular Razr or Droid 4, that I don't want.

I'm reasonable, but I explained my frustration. Not so much that they can't send the phone as that I was told it was done...given an order # and told would have tracking # today...needing any kind of final approval was never mentioned. He merely acted yesterday like it was on the way.

I asked about other options and he said I can do an early upgrade, so I guess that will work fine. Guess I'll look for a good deal on the Maxx and sell the GNex myself.

Called and spoke to two different tier 2 reps, and couldn't get my Nexus exchanged to a MAXX. I'm having the same issues as others are having with the Nexus...should've never got this phone...

I called back and just did the early upgrade so the Maxx is being shipped Monday and I'll have it Wednesday. Cost me $350 after upgrade fee and taxes, but I should be able to sell my Nexus for around that. I did verify that if the price drops within the first 14 days (which it's rumored to soon), they'll credit me back the difference. Plus, we can do the same thing for my wife's line if she decides she wants one. Took a while to get done and would have preferred to just exchange to avoid having to sell the Nexus, but glad it's on the way!

I called back and just did the early upgrade so the Maxx is being shipped Monday and I'll have it Wednesday. Cost me $350 after upgrade fee and taxes, but I should be able to sell my Nexus for around that. I did verify that if the price drops within the first 14 days (which it's rumored to soon), they'll credit me back the difference. Plus, we can do the same thing for my wife's line if she decides she wants one. Took a while to get done and would have preferred to just exchange to avoid having to sell the Nexus, but glad it's on the way!

Good luck selling the Nex. Google is selling a GSM version for $399 with free shipping brand new.

Throw it on ebay. You will get the most there.

No go on the maxx for me either. Tried two different people and they would only do the OG RAZR. I'm happy with it just tied to a charger unfortunately.

I've been offered a maxx twice and twice I turned it down. If they can't give me a phone like nexus specs then I don't want it. Just keep wasting your time and send me another nexus. As soon as I told them my problem nexus stops charging. They know the problem and just want to dump the nexus.
Ive been told by tech the nexus has been a thorn in vzw side and they wished they didn't carry it.

Hope you go to verizon today and get some of your money back. I just upgraded and got it for $200. Of course this was a standard 2 year renewal

That's norm. Wait 3 months and phone prices drop to move old inventory and make room for new stuff.
Hope you go to verizon today and get some of your money back. I just upgraded and got it for $200. Of course this was a standard 2 year renewal

Yeah, I knew a price drop was imminent so asked about it when placing the order. She said that if there is ever price drop with-in the 14 day return window, they'll credit back the difference as long as you ask for it. Makes sense...otherwise, people would just return and repurchase at the new price.

No go on the maxx for me either. Tried two different people and they would only do the OG RAZR. I'm happy with it just tied to a charger unfortunately.

Get Verizon to send you a replacement Nexus. It won't solve your problem, but if Verizon figures out you are going to keep asking for a replacement Nexus they will realize it is cheaper to send you a replacement RAZR MAXX, then a replacement Nexus every other week. I went through three Nexus (two replacements) and then I called and told the tech support person I had to have a phone that worked as a phone. Period. All the other great things about the Nexus didn't mean a thing if the phone was a turd. They are sending me the RAZR MAXX overnight at no shipping cost to me, arriving this afternoon.

I just had Verizon switch me from the Nexus (reception problems) to the maxx yesterday. the rep that i spoke with on Friday night wanted to give me the regular razr but i told them i wanted the maxx. after a few minutes came back and said the supervisor said it was alright to do. got the phone yesterday. couldn't be happier with the battery life so far and reception.

How has anyone gotten a rep to give them the switch from the gnex to the Max? I said I had terrible battery life and they wanted to give me another gnex. I asked if they could do a similar replacement device(didn't even mention razor Max). The rep told me ahe cant do that because it would be like "getting a Toyota, having it break, then taking it back for a ford". Any advice on how to get the maxx? Thanks!

I have been complaining to Verizon since early January about the one-way audio issues on the Nexus. When I called a few weeks ago with the same issue post-4.0.4, I told them we are going to do something that resolves my issue. I said we have three options: 1. Tell me when this issue is going to me fixed, if ever; 2. Send me a new-in-the-box Nexus; 3. Put me in another device. The tech support rep told me that Samsung no longer lists the one-way audio issue as an open issue, and his internal Verizon screens show it's still an open issue with an unknown resolution date. He said as much as he'd like to put me in a new Nexus, he can't, so he said he'd send me a Razr Maxx. He offered, I didn't ask. I accepted without hesitation. What choice did I have?

Back
Top Bottom