• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

For anyone looking to replace their softkey images, this thread is awesome. Gonna do the piexlated ones tonight.

exampleqg.png

[SOFTKEYS] Softkey Collection [GSM/LTE] [Huge Update 29-12] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
So I downloaded this, and ran the exe. It put a samsung folder on my computer. So now what am I supposed to do. I don't see a folder for the nexus inside, although there are a lot of folders, and there isn't a readme file or anything.

What did you do next?

Plug in the phone, use windows explorer to find the phone then open'er up to see whats what?

All after the comp says the device is installed and ready, of course.

That's what I do.

Upvote 0
Well, I've been on roman's ROM for about half an hour. Don't even have most of my apps restored yet. And wow, am I impressed. I love the customizations.

How can one developer, in two weeks, get so many things right that Google, with all of its resources, didn't? I can't wait to see what kind of ROMs we'll have in a few months.

Haven't flashed a custom kernel yet. What's the chief advantage of something like franciscofranco's kernel? Battery life?

Upvote 0
I understand this!!! (Yeah, I'm still pretty happy about having finally watched Episode 4. )

The tag on the picture is 'Worst Toy Ever'
December-28-2011-04-35-36-ScreenShot20111228at1.jpg

I'd say this is:

Early Bird Certificate Package - Star Wars Collectors Archive

ebkit-front-thumb.jpg

Imagine being a kid all giddy about Star Wars, seeing these commercials for Star Wars figurines and asking Santa for them.. then finding a biiiig box under the tree showing a dozen characters.. only to open the box and find a display stand, some stickers and a mail in gift certificate to get the first figures when they were released.

I still get a bit miffed whenever I think about that Christmas... but probably even moreso when I recall my mom gave my nephew all of my Star Wars toys to play with while I was in college and he decided to blow them up with firecrackers. Turns out some of the ones I had are now worth thousands of dollars and one of them was the rarest figure of them all. Ah well.. not like I knew it back then...

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
I'd say this is:

Early Bird Certificate Package - Star Wars Collectors Archive

ebkit-front-thumb.jpg

Imagine being a kid all giddy about Star Wars, seeing these commercials for Star Wars figurines and asking Santa for them.. then finding a biiiig box under the tree showing a dozen characters.. only to open the box and find a display stand, some stickers and a mail in gift certificate to get the first figures when they were released.

I still get a bit miffed whenever I think about that Christmas... but probably even moreso when I recall my mom gave my nephew all of my Star Wars toys to play with while I was in college and he decided to blow them up with firecrackers. Turns out some of the ones I had are now worth thousands of dollars and one of them was the rarest figure of them all. Ah well.. not like I knew it back then...

Uh, I still have a LOT of my Early Bird collection! I think I'm missing the R2D2 with the clicking head (trying to replace it). Whats the "rarest" figure? Heck I may be sitting on a fortune here and not know it! :)

Upvote 0
So I downloaded this, and ran the exe. It put a samsung folder on my computer. So now what am I supposed to do. I don't see a folder for the nexus inside, although there are a lot of folders, and there isn't a readme file or anything.

What did you do next?

What i do is go into device manager. On Win7 connect phone:
start> right click computer> properties> top left device manager> android phone> right click samsung adb device> properties> driver> update driver >tell it what driver you want (the one you dnld'd). ymmv your method may vary :D

Well, I've been on roman's ROM for about half an hour. Don't even have most of my apps restored yet. And wow, am I impressed. I love the customizations.

How can one developer, in two weeks, get so many things right that Google, with all of its resources, didn't? I can't wait to see what kind of ROMs we'll have in a few months.

Haven't flashed a custom kernel yet. What's the chief advantage of something like franciscofranco's kernel? Battery life?

Fave rom glad you're liking it.

Kernels: franco's #7 is out and reports idle sleep states have been fixed. All his previous ones were lightning fast, albeit some versions a touch buggy for some (including me). Battery life wasn't 1-6's forte, but #7 is supposed to address this. I have not tried it yet. Imoseyon, well known for Thunderbolt kernels has an excellent one out as well. Super battery life and smooth. Both have optional UV tweaks using the app setcpu or similar. 'Undervolting' the cpu increases battery life further. HeyItsLou is a talented developer and has a .2 & a .3 version available. He does solid work and his stuff is as stable as it comes. There are more, but these are what I've played with.

EDIT: franco is presently working out a pc connection bug in #7 give it a little time before trying out.

EDIT: franco #7.1 should be available by 9 PM eastern if you wish to try it :)

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
So I found out that the $50 living social deal that I got never got processed when I got the phone...I got $50 dollars off and just figured that was the living social deal, turns out that was the loyalty discount that nobody used on the account and they used it for my upgrade...I have to use it tomorrow or else I lose $25 dollars at the start of the new year. I already have 3 cases and an extended battery. Anyone have any ideas what I should spend it on? In store only.

Upvote 0
So I found out that the $50 living social deal that I got never got processed when I got the phone...I got $50 dollars off and just figured that was the living social deal, turns out that was the loyalty discount that nobody used on the account and they used it for my upgrade...I have to use it tomorrow or else I lose $25 dollars at the start of the new year. I already have 3 cases and an extended battery. Anyone have any ideas what I should spend it on? In store only.

Would they allow you to put it towards your next bill? ;)

Upvote 0
So I figured out, what I think, is the best solution (for me) for movie playback. Simply transfer my .mkv files to my "movies" folder. Play using MX Video Player (with arm 7 codec installed from the market). Make sure it's playing on HW mode, and it's great.

If I have to fast forward or rewind, it will get out of sync. A quick and perfect fix is to tap the screen, change HW to SW, then back to HW. And it's in sync again. If there is no sound, I tap on the sound icon underneath "HW" and choose the right audio track, and perfect!

Colors pop, and I think it's the same quality as DVD Catalyst, if not a smidge better.

Watching season 1 of Boardwalk Empire on it.

Edit: I just saw that it's been updated today for better ICS support, too!

DVD Catalyst is great for encoding, but it takes a bit too long for my taste. I'll still keep it, though, to encode mp4's for my wife's iPad.

Reactions: vandyman
Upvote 0

I didn't like the car dock in person. Would that be an option for you? Portrait desk dock? Bluetooth earpiece?

Reactions: tluley51
Upvote 0
I didn't like the car dock in person. Would that be an option for you? Portrait desk dock? Bluetooth earpiece?

I have a universal car dock that I actually got off of eBay and I love it haha. I am thinking a desk dock is something I would definitely buy if they are in-store. I love to use my bluetooth keyboard for texting, but I am always trying to lean my phone on something, so a desktop dock would be awesome. Bluetooth earpiece is kind of a last resort. I do not own one, but I just don't really like them.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I think I'm leaning towards Hans with the regular ole battery that comes with a little stand/charger, so you can run two batteries, and charge the second one while you're running the other one in the phone.

I've got the extended battery /cover I've never used.

I think the portable charger may be handier so you could keep that battery cycling if you really start gobbling the juice.

Upvote 0
Uh, I still have a LOT of my Early Bird collection! I think I'm missing the R2D2 with the clicking head (trying to replace it). Whats the "rarest" figure? Heck I may be sitting on a fortune here and not know it! :)

There are three or four depending on where you look and what you think constitutes 'rare'. I managed to be lucky enough to have all of 'em.

First would be the Blue Snaggletooth: Super Rare 1978 Star Wars Blue Snaggletooth Spotted

While extremely rare, it does not fetch the highest prices. Goes for about $100- $400 (if you have the full set he came in)

Next would be Yak face: Kenner Star Wars Yak Face action figure - Wikicollecting

Was not sold in the US, only briefly overseas. Good story behind why I had one.. I was 17 in 1985 so obviously not collecting/playing with Star Wars figures. My dad was working in Saudi Arabia as a petroleum engineer helping them modernize their refining/pipeline/tanker systems. He had a lot of people working under him from other countries, one of them apparently thought I was 7 instead of 17 so to curry favor with my dad he bought Christmas presents for our family just before my dad came home on vacation.. mine was a bunch of Star Wars figures, one being Yak face. Yak goes for about a grand if you have him sealed in his package.

Next would be the vinyl caped jawa: 12back.com : Features : The Vinyl Cape Jawa

When the figures first came out, the jawa had a vinyl cape like Darth Vader and Obi-wan. Kenner changed to a cloth cape shortly afterwards, apparently due to the figure being smaller than normal yet the same price. An authenticated one of these in the package scored someone $3500 on ebay last month.

Last would be Luke/Obi-wan/Darth with a double-telescoping lightsaber:
eBay Guides - Star Wars Vintage Double Telescoping Lightsaber

The Luke version isn't as rare due to his being in the pack with the other early bird figures. Have a Ben or a Darth with their double-telescoping lightsaber and you could get around $15-20 grand a piece.

There's also a Boba Fett that fired a missile, but they were only prototypes from before they were distributed.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
So I figured out, what I think, is the best solution (for me) for movie playback. Simply transfer my .mkv files to my "movies" folder. Play using MX Video Player (with arm 7 codec installed from the market). Make sure it's playing on HW mode, and it's great.

If I have to fast forward or rewind, it will get out of sync. A quick and perfect fix is to tap the screen, change HW to SW, then back to HW. And it's in sync again. If there is no sound, I tap on the sound icon underneath "HW" and choose the right audio track, and perfect!

Colors pop, and I think it's the same quality as DVD Catalyst, if not a smidge better.

Watching season 1 of Boardwalk Empire on it.

Edit: I just saw that it's been updated today for better ICS support, too!

DVD Catalyst is great for encoding, but it takes a bit too long for my taste. I'll still keep it, though, to encode mp4's for my wife's iPad.

What are you using to convert to mkv?

Upvote 0
Last would be Luke/Obi-wan/Darth with a double-telescoping lightsaber:

eBay Guides - Star Wars Vintage Double Telescoping Lightsaber

The Luke version isn't as rare due to his being in the pack with the other early bird figures. Have a Ben or a Darth with their double-telescoping lightsaber and you could get around $15-20 grand a piece.

Doggone! I could SWEAR I have a telescoping Ben Kenobi... at LEAST Luke! That's the good news... bad news is that I have NO IDEA where in this house it may be :p

Upvote 0
Doggone! I could SWEAR I have a telescoping Ben Kenobi... at LEAST Luke! That's the good news... bad news is that I have NO IDEA where in this house it may be :p

A friend of ours had a husband who collected vintage and not so vintage toys. I went down into his basement once and he showed me his lair. The walls were covered with glass covered shelves. He must have had almost a thousand toys. Each display had its own little spotlight.

He also had a giant screen and three video game consoles. He used that basement as his alone/unwinding time almost every day after work for three or four hours at a time.

The marriage did not last very long.

Upvote 0
A friend of ours had a husband who collected vintage and not so vintage toys. I went down into his basement once and he showed me his lair. The walls were covered with glass covered shelves. He must have had almost a thousand toys. Each display had its own little spotlight.

He also had a giant screen and three video game consoles. He used that basement as his alone/unwinding time almost every day after work for three or four hours at a time.

The marriage did not last very long.

That's cause she didn't create her own alone space.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones