• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Ring Help Thread

Orthuvas

I noticed that people keep opening new threads when they have an issue with their phone, so I thought It would be a good idea to make this thread to lower the clutter. If you have any problems with the phone post the issue here or in the thread specific to your problem (Example: CWM issue in the cwm thread.). This will reduce thread clutter and maximize your chances of getting your issue noticed and resolved.

thank you, i was noticing the clutter lol

Yeah it was getting hard to manage using the phone app...all that scrolling.

When something is fixed I'll post the fix in the reserved area as well as links to everything in one spot. That way its easily accessed.

we need that, after the cm gets built and booting im sure we will have new threads popping up with problems wanting to be answered.

Continuing here from my MD5 error thread.

Loading into the cwm recovery there are several errors each along the lines of:

E:Can't mount(open) /recovery/.....

There are about 4 in all several related to recovery logs, I had initially typed them all out but my response disappeared.

In the process of creating a backup now. I believe I was getting an error with it as well before.

Backup of data completed.
No /sdcard/.android-secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
Backing up cache...
Can't mount /cache!

Backup of data completed.
No /sdcard/.android-secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
Backing up cache...
Can't mount /cache!

format the cache and then try mounting it under mounts and storage to verify that it worked then try again.

That got it. Same deal for doing a restore from it. Except system and cache have to be formated prior. Cache again after. Failure at any point leads to incomplete boot.

My mom has the same phone as me and her battery lasts for maybe one fifth of what mine does. It's not rooted (like mine) and when I check the battery thing in settings it says the screen is the highest power thing, but she says she keeps her screen off. I'm not sure if somehow the screen is making her lose battery, or just normal use and it's something else. Something I did find weird was that my mom's phone just ran out of power and she plugged it in. When I went to turn it on to double check the battery in settings and noticed that her phone was warm. More warm than my phone, and it's been on all day, versus hers just turning on.

im thinking that may be the reason. other than background running apps (you eliminated that possibility already) it has to be the kernel. well u have options, flash it behind her back or let her drain all day like she's been doing.

I've noticed a strange behavior on my Phone. Even though it's plugged in it seems to lose track. I'll look and see that the Charging led is not on. I need to unplug from the phone and plug it back in, then it resumes charging. And Yes, i am running your kernel.
Maybe your moms is doing this also, plus turning off unneeded radios helps. wifi/nfc/bluetooth, etc. Background syncing eats up battery as well. They claim that the Wifi is less draining, all I know is the phone lasts all day easily, and in constant use, my wife loves that candy crush thingy, all on my home wifi, [i use net only services, rarely use their mins or data].
Just some notes.
Ben

Ok so here is the easiest solution. Root the phone, and install Greenify from the play store. Run it once and then keep unneeded radios off. Set the brightness setting to auto and bam, better battery life.

I didn't quite know where to put this.
I was notified earlier that a new Nandroid backup script has been uploaded, those who want to, or do use, online nandroid for backups can now do a complete backup without needing to recycle their phones to do it. Online Nandroid , specifically the app Online Nandroid Backup has a new Nandroid script available as of yesterday. The script is for the Ring and Prevail2 m840, Virgin Mobile version. If you need a script for a diff. carrier leave a note, I'll need the dump file from the app.

Later.
Ben

After hours of fixing my botched lmde install it works!!! Now to get the build tools and repo's synced to try builing again rawr!!!!

So pray tel.....
What is your next secret project? I've gotten my wifes Ring back up properly, I'm modding the rom and kernel using the V6 SuperCharger, and 3g Supercharger from XDA. It seems to work, it can add a script to the init.d and these scripts can be added to new rom builds. You should take a look Hero, there probably is stuff you can make use of, truth is I am slowly figuring all this out. Most of the mods relating to networking i understand, but Android/linux mods, ie: entropy settings, i have no idea?!
Also Android Tuner is a VERY handy app, oh, thanks for unlocking the governers and cpu speed settings, I am working on setting up some govs according to my research, will see if they work,[or make any sense;} ].
Later peeps.
Ben

Newmiltech:
Here is a guide at XDA-University for adding features to a kernel.
Adding features to your kernel | XDA-University

I wish that guide was there when I was learning all this, but I had to learn the hard way on my own. Its not that hard, it just take determination and I'm sure the devs @ OUDhs thought I would've quit by now. (I used to bug them with THOUSANDS of questions)

I'm working on my own Kernel manager app (like Android Tuner). I forked the source for AOKP's managing app and I'm planning on theming it to integrate with Touchwiz (only launchable from settings menu).

Not sure what happened, but I was streaming music and it said memory space was getting low. Then the music stopped playing because there was no more space (I was like ??!!!, I'm streaming not downloading!). Then I went to check the memory or whatever, and my phone shut off. It gets stuck at the animation screen, and whenever I try to get into the phone where you can clear cache and flash things and what not, I get the screen

"FORCED KEY UPLOAD
LINE: 0
Format:
Qxdm_msg:

power_on_reason: KEYPAD......
debug level: LOW

Wait...Done!"
It also has the Android guy with a speech bubble and says "UPLOAD MODE".

So did I somehow brick my phone or something? How do I fix?

Not sure what happened, but I was streaming music and it said memory space was getting low. Then the music stopped playing because there was no more space (I was like ??!!!, I'm streaming not downloading!). Then I went to check the memory or whatever, and my phone shut off. It gets stuck at the animation screen, and whenever I try to get into the phone where you can clear cache and flash things and what not, I get the screen

"FORCED KEY UPLOAD
LINE: 0
Format:
Qxdm_msg:

power_on_reason: KEYPAD......
debug level: LOW

Wait...Done!"
It also has the Android guy with a speech bubble and says "UPLOAD MODE".

So did I somehow brick my phone or something? How do I fix?

No you did not, you are booting into upload mode instead of recovery mode
power off your device and hold the power and up volume keys only and your issue should be resolved.

No you did not, you are booting into upload mode instead of recovery mode
power off your device and hold the power and up volume keys only and your issue should be resolved.

Weird. I tried holding up and power earlier, but got the booting screen as well. I think it was because my phone case was one badly, lol. And just to make sure, I should wipe the cache partition, right? Or wipe the dalvik cache?

Weird. I tried holding up and power earlier, but got the booting screen as well. I think it was because my phone case was one badly, lol. And just to make sure, I should wipe the cache partition, right? Or wipe the dalvik cache?

cant hurt to do both althouh i do believe wiping cache clears both

Okay, so I tried wiping cache. It was stuck at "formatting cache". So I pulled the battery, wiped the dalvik cache, and tried rebooting. Android upgraded itself, and then got stuck at the boot animation. Turned it off, tried wiping cache again. It took forever to do, but it was able to complete it. I rebooted it, and I'm once again stuck at the boot animation. What now?

Edit: I'm leaving it on the boot animation to see what it does. It just upgraded aagain, and is now back at the boot animation.

Okay, so I tried wiping cache. It was stuck at "formatting cache". So I pulled the battery, wiped the dalvik cache, and tried rebooting. Android upgraded itself, and then got stuck at the boot animation. Turned it off, tried wiping cache again. It took forever to do, but it was able to complete it. I rebooted it, and I'm once again stuck at the boot animation. What now?

Edit: I'm leaving it on the boot animation to see what it does. It just upgraded aagain, and is now back at the boot animation.

if you still have my number send me a text and i can call and walk you through the fix.

EDIT: well im a dumbass, use another phone of course my number should be attache d to your google account accessible from gmail under contacts

Back
Top Bottom