• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy s3 battery problem

When I charge my phone all night it will appear to be at 100% then I will unplug and it will immediately drop to 20 Or lower. I ordered a new battery and put it in, it didn't do anything. I've tried different chargers but it doesn't really make a difference. Should I order a whole new phone?

When I charge my phone all night it will appear to be at 100% then I will unplug and it will immediately drop to 20 Or lower. I ordered a new battery and put it in, it didn't do anything. I've tried different chargers but it doesn't really make a difference. Should I order a whole new phone?

Welcome truemeyers22!!
When you say " it will immediately drop to 20 Or lower" do you mean it will drop 20% or it will drop to 20%?
Did this just start happening? Does the battery read 100% before unplugging, and then you see this drop?
Are you rooted?

It will show 100% then I will see it drop to 20% and sometimes lower after unplugging it. And no I'm not rooted, I've never damaged the phone either.it's about 4 months old and the problem recently started about 1 month ago, it's highly annoying haha

It will show 100% then I will see it drop to 20% and sometimes lower after unplugging it. And no I'm not rooted, I've never damaged the phone either.it's about 4 months old and the problem recently started about 1 month ago, it's highly annoying haha

Hmm, that's odd. Seeing as tho you have tried different chargers and a battery, I would surmise your charging port or charging circuit is funky.

Can you charge at all? Like via the computer port?

You can also download this app to monitor the charging history overnight:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw&hl=en

I use that app and it is sooooo useful:)

After a night of charging, check the history to see the charging process to see if it charges.

Meanwhile, since you are not rooted, I'm going to move this to the general forums instead of the root forum that it is currently in....no worries....stand by:)

Edit: done/moved :) I'll pm you

Thanks! I will download that! And yeah I usually use via usb on my macbook, it works better than my wall charger but still not to well.

When it drops to 20% like that, does the phone still die when it gets to 1%?
As Mike says, id just get a replacement instead of trying to find the cause. Make sure you have the samsung battery in it when you return it :thumbup:

I had this same problem only mine would drop to about 88% as soon as I would unplug it from the wall charger after charging all night. I tried a new battery, and a factory reset. Neither worked, called ATT and the tech looked over a few things and decided to have a new replacement phone sent out to me.

Got the new phone and the first two nights the phone wouldn't charge to 100% on the new replacement battery I bought. Put the factory battery back in the phone and then I got it to charge to 100%. I still don't think my new replacement phone holds a charge like it should, but it is better than it was before.

Back
Top Bottom