• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root General What should my next phone be? Should I ditch Virgin?

portezbie

Android Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2011
My triumph seems to be dying( I think my charging port is the problem) so I am looking for new phones.

First off, should I ditch Virgin mobile? I've generally been satisfied with it, but it's not great. I've heard good things about T-Mobile's no-contract plans.

Secondly, if I stay with Virgin should I try and get the Galaxy Victory or the Galaxy S2? They seem to be the best phones atm through Virgin. I'm leaning towards the victory because of the LTE, but the bigger screen and better camera on the S2 sound nice.

Thanks.

My triumph seems to be dying( I think my charging port is the problem) so I am looking for new phones.

First off, should I ditch Virgin mobile? I've generally been satisfied with it, but it's not great. I've heard good things about T-Mobile's no-contract plans.

Secondly, if I stay with Virgin should I try and get the Galaxy Victory or the Galaxy S2? They seem to be the best phones atm through Virgin. I'm leaning towards the victory because of the LTE, but the bigger screen and better camera on the S2 sound nice.

Thanks.

I think I am eventually gonna switch to T-mobile for the 30.00 100 minute/5 GB plan. I just have not bit the bullet yet

Upvote 0
Why post this here, you already made a duplicate post, this is the root/rom/dev section

Sorry, I realize I double-posted. I just have found that the people in this section are quicker to respond and have better input. You'll notice that my post here has already gotten a number of replies and my other post has gotten none.

Upvote 0
I think I am eventually gonna switch to T-mobile for the 30.00 100 minute/5 GB plan. I just have not bit the bullet yet

It depends on your area, but I am on the $30 /mo plan, and afer 1 month, I couldn't be happier

Virgin Mobile average speed:

screenshot-1341967419652.png

T-Mobile average speed:

Screenshot_2013-03-23-08-16-56_zpsccdc93be.png

Upvote 0
Interesting I didn't think it could be repaired. I'll have to google around for a good phone repair shop. Thanks.

I feel like repairing it will probably cost more than it's worth, but can't hurt to check it out.

Yeah, google for a good repair shop. I took mine in for a $50 replace charging port and they bricked it. Anyway they ordered a new board and 6 days later I had a working Triumph that charges.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's worth it for fifty bucks. It still works at the moment just a bit unreliably. Plus I got a optimus slider a few months back for twenty bucks as a safety precaution.

I'm on the fence about T-Mobile, how do people get by with so few minutes? Google voice or something?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if it's worth it for fifty bucks. It still works at the moment just a bit unreliably. Plus I got a optimus slider a few months back for twenty bucks as a safety precaution.

I'm on the fence about T-Mobile, how do people get by with so few minutes? Google voice or something?

That, or some of us really don't use anywhere near that amount of minutes :D Besides, if you need more minutes, either you can use Google voice or just pay a bit extra for more minutes. At 10 cents per minute, it's not too bad at all.

Upvote 0
I'm on the fence about T-Mobile, how do people get by with so few minutes?
I have a landline at home and at work, so I don't use minutes at those places. When I'm out, I usually use text or e-mail to communicate. I generally use between 5 and 15 minutes a month on my cell. In the last 5 years (or more) I don't think I've used over 100 minutes in a month on my cell phone.

The $30 T-mobile deal does sound tempting, assuming it sticks around, and assuming I can get a good deal on a good phone. I still have an active $10/year t-mobile non-smart phone plan.

Upvote 0
I have the MT bumped up to ICS, which is nice. (Thanks, developers!) I also am still grandfathered in to the $25/month plan. so it would be hard to leave any time soon.

That is where I sit. I'm in the extra benefit of having fun DEVing on this thing. It's open design has made it very easy to get started. Now if I could only find time to work on something substantive.

Upvote 0
That is where I sit. I'm in the extra benefit of having fun DEVing on this thing. It's open design has made it very easy to get started. Now if I could only find time to work on something substantive.

I know slacker! Get it together :) I am over here working on the HTC Evo V 4G, the Samsung Victory for sprint and virgin mobile and also lending a hand to the Virgin Mobile Elite. Lets not forget I am also in the works on a new ROM for the Triumph :D Where is your dignity as a Rom Developer?!?!? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones