• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure what S-off is, but thanks for the confirming what I pretty much knew was the case.

Just for info's sake, here is my current versions, prior to the update:

Android: 2.2
Baseband: 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16'
Build: 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys
Software: 3.26.605.1
Browser: Webkit 3.1
PRI: 1.70_002
PRL: 30070
ERI: 5

I have NOT let the new flash install, yet. Not sure that I want to. I depend on my rooted hotspot for my company, so I don't want to risk losing that for any extended period of time.

Read the stickied threads in the "All things root" subforum. They cover S-Off and re-rooting the 4.06 update if you accept it after successfully turning S-Off.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I held off and did not try 4.06 (actually I never even got a notification of the OTA). I continued to get the usual Low on Space notification which I could usually clear with annoying manipulations. I have a 32GB SD and had all possible apps on their as well as music, pics, etc. I have about 160 apps. About a month ago my SD got corrupted which I reformatted and fixed. Shortly thereafter I had to do a factory reset because a Verizon update got me in a boot loop. At that point I decided to keep all apps on the phone memory, not the SD. All is well now and I have not seen the LOS even once. Before, it was every few days. So is there going to be a 4.08 complete OTA or do I have to take my chances with the 4.06, and hope it doesn't screw up my phone. I also don't know long it will be be before the update to the update will be available. Past history says it might be a while and there's no guarantee it will work properly. In summary, just wait? or will I have to take my chances with 4.06 before I can get 4.08? Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Note: not rooted.

Upvote 0
'Low on space' definitely does not go away with GB update. In fact, it brought back the error on my phone.

When I updated to GB OTA, I immediately got the LOS message as well as not being able to see any APPs on the SD Card. However by using the phones software to UNMOUNT and MOUNT the SD Card, I was able to see the APPs on my SD Card "AND" the LOS message went away.

I cannot explain WHY the LOS message went away by doing the above, but I recommend you give it a shot. It cannot hurt! BTW...when you unmount your SD card, wait a few seconds before your remount. The first time I did it, nothing happened. The second time I tried the above, I paused a bit between remounting and all worked great.

Upvote 0
I got the OTA update from Verizon last night that upgraded my DinC to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. Very disappointed for the following reasons:

1. Now, when I go into app drawer & launch an app, the app drawer stays open so when I close the app I see the open app drawer. Previously, Android would auto close it and take me to the home screen when I closed an app I was using.
2. Lost the ability to set phone to vibrate only. Previously, I could hold down the power button and quickly mute phone or set to vibrate only. Now, it only gives the options for power off, airplane mode, or restart. I can't even find a widget or shortcut to be able to mute/vibrate my phone.

I do like the downloads folder and app management seems easier. I don't see what all of the excitement over the summer about Gingerbread coming to DinC was all about.

Upvote 0
Anyway, the phone seems much snappier to me. Screens load and scroll MUCH faster. And I like the "fade" transition thing going on. Is there a list anywhere of what is new? I'm talking about a list created by us, rather than the one published by VZW.

I agree, phone feels alot more snappier to me. I don't think the changes are anything major. I'd also like to see a list going from our members.

I am happy to report that for me, my bluetooth works like it did before, my car recognizes my phone and shows on my car navi, updates address book fine. I am so happy it didn't mess up bluetooth. :)

Here are some minor changes I've noticed:

1. battery life (its only been 6 hrs) it seems better to me, will continue to monitor

2. Android Power Control Widget- the icons are the same but they look sleeker, slightly diff than before. (wifi, bluetooth, gps, refresh, brightness)

3. When you you hit the menu button, the pane that pops up at the bottom is lighter color white, almost transparant, pretty cool.

3. When you go to about phone, battery, then battery use, the pane at the top is different, it now show how long the phone has been in use (battery on) for example 1 hr 45 m 52s on battery.

4. As mentioned Fading is now a cool feature.

5. Applications>Manage Applications> shows you a cool graphics at bottom with your internal storage readings

6. Fastboot option added to applications menu

7. New ring tones

8. Pocket Mode added to sound settings

9. Flip for Speaker added to sound settings

10. Hitting the side volume buttons up and down now sound like a ice pic (different than before)

11. Power off options are different. When you hit Power off it shuts off your phone very very fast.

Any others feel free to chime in. :)

Upvote 0
I've tried this a couple times and nothing. Guess I'll wait and see what happens this afternoon.

Yup.. same here.

It started the update, claimed it failed and got the triangle/exclamation point (even though I did a factory reset recently and the phone is as clean as it can be), rebooted and even pulled the battery, and so far the update has not popped up again even when trying manually.

Tried the *#*#checkin#*#* also.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to get the little circle email counter to show up for email? I don't have it anymore after update.

That was the first thing I noticed - the GMail icon is smaller and gray. I suppose it's not so bad, it not a huge icon in the status bar now.

Regarding new ring tones, I did scroll through then wondering if they changes.. but I'm not sure which are new / changed. Anyone?

And the top row of the About Phone -> Battery -> Battery Use screen is clickable to see exactly what was using the battery and when. Pretty cool.

Upvote 0
You can delete from within the downloads app. Just long press the file or go into Menu to delete.

When I long press, it just opens up whatever file I had my finger on (once I lift my finger). And when I hit menu, all I have is "sort by size"

Wait . . . now I see. When i hit the check mark box a menue comes up that lets me delete or clear selection.

Upvote 0
I got the OTA update from Verizon last night that upgraded my DinC to Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. Very disappointed for the following reasons:

1. Now, when I go into app drawer & launch an app, the app drawer stays open so when I close the app I see the open app drawer. Previously, Android would auto close it and take me to the home screen when I closed an app I was using.
2. Lost the ability to set phone to vibrate only. Previously, I could hold down the power button and quickly mute phone or set to vibrate only. Now, it only gives the options for power off, airplane mode, or restart. I can't even find a widget or shortcut to be able to mute/vibrate my phone.

I do like the downloads folder and app management seems easier. I don't see what all of the excitement over the summer about Gingerbread coming to DinC was all about.

the app drawer should be auto closing... any one else reporting this issue? I'd try rebooting the phone and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I

you've always been able to do this via the volume button on the side. HOld it down all the way. :)

also, I have noticed that my phone is flying along too. (update last night) Not so before the update - I was noticing how sluggish it had become.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones