• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread (aka Android 2.3) on Evo!

Are you excited for Gingerbread?!?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been going crazy trying to find a solution to the Full HDMI out mirror problem on the Evo. It doesnt make sense that the Incredible has this ability when its exaclty the same phone. I looked on XDA developers but you have intall Cynogen which I haven even rooted my phone and should not have to get this ability. I want to link my phone up to my indash in my car which would be amazing.

I figured if there is no solution for 2.2 that 2.3 has to have this ability right. Let alone the fact that I just saw 2.3 pics on a Versizon phone. So when are we finally going to be able to have the udate. So does anyone know if there is a solution to the HDMI problem without rooting or installing cynogen.

While similar these phones are not the exact same. Nexus S has 2.3 Gingerbread and is on T-Mobile. Link of 2.3 Verizon phone?

Why not if anything they should have been aiming for this. And on all android tablets supposedly have this ability. And by around the corner are we looking at weeks or months.

Weeks & months aren't really long in this type of industry. 2.3 has only been out for shortly over a month at this time. Based on previous HTC history getting 2.2 to the EVO I fully expect Gingerbread by the beginning of March (considering delays for Sense 2.0 and the Holidays in Dec.) This should give us an OS upperhand over the Thunderbolt for a short time.

Ok thanks. And I have no idea how to switch roms dont really have a use for rooting rather than use the free teather.

There is so much more to rooting that tethering. You haven't seen the abilities of your phone until.

Yes it would and dont understand why it is so complicated to acomplish

It is very complicated and it has taken hoards of professional developers to get this far with what technology they have at this point. I would hope that you could understand this. As daunting as rooting may seem to some of our members and maybe even you, developing software for millions of people that is stable & correctly working is tough. These people are writing code and script out of thin air based off of ideas and motives when there is no sure fire way to make hardware operate the way they wish. Whether your HTC, Google, or an individual it's not easy... give it time.

But than they would have not beeb able to get the incredible to have the ability. And Xda developers finally were able to find a solution so I dont think it has to do with hardware. What is the FPS you were talking about.

Once again, some hardware/software requirements and operation may be different. If it just ported over it would have already been in place. FPS means Frames per Seconds.

So can anybody confirm this

Confirm what?

Upvote 0
HDMI is not some sort of standard Android feature.

It's support varies by and is determined by each handset maker, for those cases where they offered it.

Its primary use as an interface is to play movies thru an HDTV.

I understand that but it just wouldnt make any sense that one of the best Android phones with HTDMI out would not have this ability. I wanted to confirm is weather is it possible or not to have full HDMI out on the Evo.

Upvote 0
While similar these phones are not the exact same. Nexus S has 2.3 Gingerbread and is on T-Mobile. Link of 2.3 Verizon phone?

Weeks & months aren't really long in this type of industry. 2.3 has only been out for shortly over a month at this time. Based on previous HTC history getting 2.2 to the EVO I fully expect Gingerbread by the beginning of March (considering delays for Sense 2.0 and the Holidays in Dec.) This should give us an OS upperhand over the Thunderbolt for a short time.

There is so much more to rooting that tethering. You haven't seen the abilities of your phone until.

It is very complicated and it has taken hoards of professional developers to get this far with what technology they have at this point. I would hope that you could understand this. As daunting as rooting may seem to some of our members and maybe even you, developing software for millions of people that is stable & correctly working is tough. These people are writing code and script out of thin air based off of ideas and motives when there is no sure fire way to make hardware operate the way they wish. Whether your HTC, Google, or an individual it's not easy... give it time.

Once again, some hardware/software requirements and operation may be different. If it just ported over it would have already been in place. FPS means Frames per Seconds.

Confirm what?
I know this but I have looked in many forums to get a full review of the advantages to rooting and havent found many that explain the full advantages.

I can understand that as well but arnt the internals and hardware HDMI cpabilities almost exact. What Iam having problems understanding why they would have not given this ability off the start t one of HTCs best selling Android phone.

Wow now I really feel stupid I have seen it before just thought it ment something else. So what software is in the Incredible that Evo doesnt have to make this possible. I figured they were the same which the HDMI port is without a doubt the same so it has to be a software. Yes I know just wanted to know anybody's educated guess around when we could be seeing this since things have been speeding up when it comes to OTAs and upgrades.

Confirm Weahter or not full HDMI out will possible on the Evo and if 2.3 has the ability of fixing this problem like Iam hoping for.

Upvote 0
What standard? The Droid X was initially announced as having only Gallery access for its HDMI. As competition occurs, features advance. That more devices have HDMI doing more speaks to its popularity. Whether a retrofit happens on first 4G phone with the first HQ YouTube ability and the first supported Froyo after the Nexus One will remain to be seen.

Upvote 0
My guess is that the world's first will be an Android 2.3 smart phone that works underwater, while Blaine holds his breath and uses the new phone... :p

alternately it could be the world's first Android Tablet that can be used to make calls, or the world's first cellphone the size of an iPod nano, or the world's first PixelQi screen cellphone, or the worlds first transformer, the phone turns into a 60" AMOLED Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV) or Ultra HDTV with 4320p.

figure out which ones I am serious about...

Upvote 0
Maybe they are turning out Gingerbread for the LG Optimus S because no one owns the LG Optimus S or knows what it is? Therefore, when it has tons of bugs no one will complain :)

On a side note: what is the LG Optimus S?

LOL...It's LG's Android phone on sprint that looks kinda like the desire, as far as form factor is concerned.

Upvote 0
According to PCMag, a Sprint tech support rep has pointed out the LG Optimus S may be getting the Android 2.3 update as early as February.
On a side note, a HTC tech support has stated that they don't know of any upcoming Android 2.3 update for the HTC Droid Incredible, HTC Evo 4G and HTC Evo Shift 4G, although they only get the word approximately 2 weeks before it actually happens.

So they only find out 2 weeks in advance but they somehow know the LG "might" get it sometime in February? Suspicious.

Upvote 0
If a little 600 MHz Optimus S can get the advantages of Gingerbread out to people in such a low cost alternative, then that means that LG is in the market to support people and also that the day is fast upon us where you can expect and get full Android goodness no matter what your budget is.

I see this is as nothing but positive for choice and nothing but positive for Android.

When I made my prediction, I'd forgotten all about MWC - it's posted here - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/235172-evo-getting-latest-sense-ui.html#post1997603

From an earlier page in this thread -

Just curious, why the 8th in particular? It looks like some random Tuesday to me (though I agree that seems to be a great guess for time frame based on historical performance by HTC, with a little extra time added in so there's no rioting :p).

^Yep.

Froyo came out on Monday, with a push due to competitors. I'd have said the 7th, but figured they could use the extra day, actually.

After all, February is a short month. ;)

It was based on the time difference from when Froyo went into the AOSP repository and when the Evo got it, and when Gingerbread went into the AOSP and the HTC phones might get it.

Upvote 0
If a little 600 MHz Optimus S can get the advantages of Gingerbread out to people in such a low cost alternative, then that means that LG is in the market to support people and also that the day is fast upon us where you can expect and get full Android goodness no matter what your budget is.

I see this is as nothing but positive for choice and nothing but positive for Android.

When I made my prediction, I'd forgotten all about MWC - it's posted here - http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/235172-evo-getting-latest-sense-ui.html#post1997603

From an earlier page in this thread -

It was based on the time difference from when Froyo went into the AOSP repository and when the Evo got it, and when Gingerbread went into the AOSP and the HTC phones might get it.

EarlyMon, I kept wondering where your logic was coming from and didn't put two and two together until just now! That's actually a really, really good point.

Nontheless, I'll be happy whenever it is released. I'm happy with Froyo, but always glad when I know that my phone will be keeping up with the times. I hope your prediction is right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones