• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread and Tracking question

alexander323bc

Android Enthusiast
I have been gone for few months So I am little out of the loop. Before I left there was this debate that gingerbread was going to have a kernel to possibly track wireless tether usage on rooted users. I just went back to the post and noticed it was closed in April. I am not trying to start anything or step on any toes but I couldn't find any other threads on the topic in the root section. Does anyone know if they can track or tell?

I have been gone for few months So I am little out of the loop. Before I left there was this debate that gingerbread was going to have a kernel to possibly track wireless tether usage on rooted users. I just went back to the post and noticed it was closed in April. I am not trying to start anything or step on any toes but I couldn't find any other threads on the topic in the root section. Does anyone know if they can track or tell?

The reality is nobody knows for sure...but...they have done a lot of work to block it...

I personally don't support the practice of illegal tethering whether they are tracking it or not

Putting the subject of tethering aside for the moment, I think the whole theory of VZW "tracking" us is just plain paranoia.

Putting the subject of tethering aside for the moment, I think the whole theory of VZW "tracking" us is just plain paranoia.

Paranoia for sure....however I dont think many people actually think about it much. If you are taking there data,they can track you,no way around it....what I dont understand is how people can be mad about this,AND buy a smartphone....doesnt make any sense.To think someone who buys an android or IOS device,with full mobile internet access,and a gps system,would think they could actually power up such a device,use the internet or GPS on it, and remain untracked and retain privacy of location....you cant have it all,and remain invisable! This is basic common sense,something thats missing more and more every day....its real easy if you dont want to be tracked,get rid of your mobile phones,especially smart phones!

As far as I have figured, they only track things such as purchases and visited websites (through cookie storage), this way they can market to you more accurately. If you don't want to be tracked, you only have one option; shut off your phone, computer, bank account, work under the table and move to an island in the middle of the ocean with no power.
You're being tracked no matter what you do, it's up t you as to what level of paranoia you're willing to allow yourself to live with.
Just my $0.02, of course, YMMV

Meh let em' track me, not bothering me any.

The benefit of having the whole intranetz at my fingertips outweighs the con of being tracked IMO. :D

Paranoia for sure....however I dont think many people actually think about it much. If you are taking there data,they can track you,no way around it....what I dont understand is how people can be mad about this,AND buy a smartphone....doesnt make any sense.To think someone who buys an android or IOS device,with full mobile internet access,and a gps system,would think they could actually power up such a device,use the internet or GPS on it, and remain untracked and retain privacy of location....you cant have it all,and remain invisable! This is basic common sense,something thats missing more and more every day....its real easy if you dont want to be tracked,get rid of your mobile phones,especially smart phones!

Just to add to that a bit, gps trackers where being placed on phones way back when 911 became a built in feature. So you could be tracked on even "dumb" phones. They just added the ability to see what you're doing with your data....;)

Back
Top Bottom