• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread on Vortex

Yeah, I saw that news. It was discussed in Optimus S threads. It's good news for Vortex for sure. But I'm not sure what exactly Vortex would benefit from 2.3.

Good stuff. I fail to see how that would really matter to any Vortex user though. Aside from the fact that we all want the newest OS available to us.

My buddy just picked up a Vortex and when I read up on it I see that it says the browser doesn't support flash even though froyo supports it... what's that all about? If the stock browser doesn't sport flash, how about Dolphin HD or Skyfire?

Vortex has android 2.2, but its MSM7267 CPU is a little older generation that doesn't support flash. You can use Skyfire browser to view flash video. It converts flash video to its own format and plays it. But I feel skyfire a little lagging and buggy at times. I think Dolphin (both HD and mini) and Xscope are better browsers.

Personally I don't see much point of flash video on smart-phones yet. It slows down your browser, drains more battery power. I use my laptop to view the full web pages with flash.

I haven't been able to get Dolphin to do flash videos where Skyfire can (such as the Southpark website to view episodes).

How is SkyFire as a browser compared to Dolphin? My wife was disappointed she couldn't watch a YouTube video the other day, I'm assuming because of lack of Flash.

How is SkyFire as a browser compared to Dolphin? My wife was disappointed she couldn't watch a YouTube video the other day, I'm assuming because of lack of Flash.
youtube works on my vortex, I didn't have to do anything special to get it working. I just use the YouTube app

Ok, maybe she was just doing something wrong then. I thought there was a youtube app on there, but I haven't played around with it in a while. Thanks.

Youtube works fine on the Vortex. The issue arises if someone has embedded flash video in a web page. The Vortex cannot play those videos. With Skyfire browser, you can because what it does is it senses if there is a flash video on the page. If so, it then downloads it to the Skyfire server which then converts it to a video format the vortex can handle and then streams it from the Skyfire server.

With the Dolphin browser, I cannot get it to work. I wasn't sure if the Dolphin browser requires Flash player to be installed? If so, then Dolphin browser won't work with the Vortex when it comes to displaying flash. It that is the case, then that's too bad because I really do like the Dolphin browser.

Back
Top Bottom