• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbreak Will Not Install ..android

CallBob

May 27, 2013
2 Days wasted now . Downloaded Gingerbreak and unzipped on my computer and also in my HTC Inspire 4g in the temp folder . Hooked up as a drive and checked that it's all where i put it in the android . I see it , it's there .
USB debugging is checked . Allow installations is checked for non market .
Used several File Managers and found it on the phone , no problem . Final was root explorer Pro . EVERY single time i click one of the gingerbreak files ..1 or 2 or C ... it opens up as a text and allows me to read it...GD it :mad:
Tried everything , hit multiples and lots of commands are there ,,EXCEPT install !!
Anybody go thru this and figure it out ? I have read about 50 pages on the internet on how to do this ... none worked . Still not installed .
Thanks
Bob

It might have been patched in the version you are running and thus not work. If I remember correctly, Gingerbreak was patched in 2.3.4, but I could be misremembering. You might have to find another exploit in order to obtain root. Maybe someone with your device can chime in with a more definitive answer.
Okay , but i tried clicking on version 1 and got a file reader also..that's not good
Thanks

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
It might have been patched in the version you are running and thus not work. If I remember correctly, Gingerbreak was patched in 2.3.4, but I could be misremembering. You might have to find another exploit in order to obtain root. Maybe someone with your device can chime in with a more definitive answer.
:mad:HTC Android cell phones have locked NAND memory, which means that it cannot be accessed by the user because of the security protocol program written on it. :mad:
http://www.ehow.com/info_12216322_nand-unlock-mean.html

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
:mad:HTC Android cell phones have locked NAND memory, which means that it cannot be accessed by the user because of the security protocol program written on it. :mad:
What Does NAND Unlock Mean? | eHow

that is correct. gengerbreak has not worked for a long time. if youre on the newest att sense 3.0 build,there is not a currently known working temp root exploit. best method is to htcdev unlock. if youre sure youre device came with froyo,you can downgrade all the way to a gfree exploitable firmware with the help of a gold card. this can be extremely risky if your device shipped with GB(read: DONT do it).

best way to set s off on an ACE model is this: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0
that is correct. gengerbreak has not worked for a long time. if youre on the newest att sense 3.0 build,there is not a currently known working temp root exploit. best method is to htcdev unlock. if youre sure youre device came with froyo,you can downgrade all the way to a gfree exploitable firmware with the help of a gold card. this can be extremely risky if your device shipped with GB(read: DONT do it).

best way to set s off on an ACE model is this: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

holler if you have questions :)

Okay , i did it all and wound up with " unlocked " .. but , i still have all the bloatware installed and it won't let me uninstall it ... just stop it ... i can't get rid of it . what do i do in this situation ?
Thanks
Bob

Upvote 0
Okay , i did it all and wound up with " unlocked " .. but , i still have all the bloatware installed and it won't let me uninstall it ... just stop it ... i can't get rid of it . what do i do in this situation ?
Thanks
Bob

have you installed recovery and superuser?(superuser is flashed with recovery,not downloaded from play store)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Yeup , the only thing that i can accomplish is that the apk files ALL will only open up with a file reader of any choice .. i see the entire code ..that's it , it will not .exe ..

Does this make any sense to you ? How To Root Android Phone Without A Computer - YouTube

When i do this , i only see a page of code when i run it ..

why are you still messing with gingerbreak?? :thinking:

that video is from 2011,on a phone running froyo.

you need to follow the htcdev guide to unlock the bootloader,then install recovery,then install superuser.

you can then follow the second guide to set the secureflag to off. (s-off)

you do not need to be opening or insatalling any .apks on the phone to make this work. with exception of using ext 4 recovery to flash the superuser files, the process is largely done in the command window.

seems our wires have become crossed somewhere...

Upvote 0
why are you still messing with gingerbreak?? :thinking:

that video is from 2011,on a phone running froyo.

you need to follow the htcdev guide to unlock the bootloader,then install recovery,then install superuser.

you can then follow the second guide to set the secureflag to off. (s-off)

you do not need to be opening or insatalling any .apks on the phone to make this work. with exception of using ext 4 recovery to flash the superuser files, the process is largely done in the command window.

seems our wires have become crossed somewhere...

Yeup , bootloader is unlocked .. but i still only get editable code when i click on any apk files . superuser also does this to me . Aw ... nuts .. Time for a break .. Coffe might help ? :bike::bike::bike::bike:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones