• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glu Mobile horror story-- don't buy from Glu.

Honestly, I fail to see how this is Glu mobiles fault. It's good to know why G1 isn't on the market anymore, but honestly, nobody ripped you off.
You paid for a game and got it. Because of licensing issues, it is now not available anywhere, so it's more like you had something special, that you weren't supposed to get in the first place.

Being able to download a file again and again is a free service we get on Android and iPhone, it is in no way guaranteed.

A few years ago I published games for O2 in Germany and we had a 30-day download link, so customers could get their game as often as they liked. We were the only supplier that gave you the possibility for a second download, nobody would give you another download, even if the first download didn't work.

The possibility to redownload something came back with the iPhone and even there you can't redownload banned apps. People who have a app that disappeared from the market are usually happy that they got it in time.

So my tip for you is to see it that way, you had a special game, that not many people could play. And I'm sure if you asked nicely, Glu will give you another game from them, if they have a way.
It is a little hard to give away games for Android, without circumventing your copy protection, because there still are no codes for games on the Android market.

I totally disagree with this. He didn't pay for the game with the idea that he was renting it until he had to wipe his phone. One of the big points of the market is that it saves your purchase information so that if you do lose the app, you can download it again.

Google needs to tighten up on restrictions so that this doesn't happen as much, and companies like Glu should be forced to refund purchase for items that are removed from the market for reasons like this.

Upvote 0
I recently downloaded "Contract Killer", thinking the title was pretty cool. When I saw that you could get points faster by purchasing them, I thought that was pretty nice, too. So I purchased 90 points for $4.99. The money came out instantly, and the points a second later. After I used them all, I decided it was time for bigger and better things, so I splurged. I purchased 400 points for $19.99. The money came out instantly, but alas, no points. I waited an hour, then another, then another. Three days later I decided to contact someone. So I email GLU Mobile, and get the automated response that says expect a response in 3 to 5 days. So I wait three......then five.....and then seven...Still no response. So I call corporate...and get their voicemail. Three different days, all within business hours (yes I checked the time zone differences). So I left messages, and then shot off a second, angrier email. Waited another week, still no email. So I log on to see if they added the points, and just never responded (wishful thinking, right?), but find a "welcome new player" screen after running my app. My character and points have all been erased completely. So not only did they ignore my requests and take my money for the points I never received, they actually took back the other stuff I paid for, and have yet to get a person via the telephone or through email. Does this company even exist?

Upvote 0
I got burned, too. Bought a dinc2 and had an issue with the power supply. Got a replacement phone but GLU says they cannot give in game credit to replace my weaponry. I'm out about 40$ on one game and $60 on another. It wouldnt be an issue if their prices weren't so crazy. If they are going to charge that kind of money for in game purchases, they darn well should have a saved user account feature. Strangely, my contract killer game was intact..just not the ck zombies. I am really disgusted with this company. Im the sort of player who would have purchased weaponry indefinitely. Foolish to alienate the paying customers.

Reactions: Pandamoniium
Upvote 0
I recently downloaded Frontline Commando on my Android Tablet and the game is great. So I decided to purchase some in game credits to upgrade my weapons. Paid 11.99 for 640 in game credits and purchased a sniper gun. Still had 205 credits to use for other stuff. Had problems with my Tablet and had to reset it and lost my apps. I downloaded it again and all my weapons, credits, and levels are gone.

Contacted customer support at GLU. As others here have experienced, NO SERVICE. The response was in essence, nothing we can do for you, sorry.

I dont even want my money back, I would like to get the 640 credits back on the game so I can continue to use what I paid for.

Seems unlikely that a large software company like GLU can take your money and put credit in your game, but they cannot put credit in the game as a courtesy to a paying customer.

Dont buy from GLU, because unlike any other ethical business, seems like this business is only about taking money without providing the common sense customer service to its paying customers.

Reactions: lealea03
Upvote 0
3 year old son purchased 640 credits of Glu ($9.99) on Blood & Glory on my Asus Tablet.

Yes, my fault that I did not have PIN number set up before hand to ensure no purchases would or could have been made without my permission. Still accidents do happen.

I've heard of parents dealing with this type of situation before and being able to receive refunds back with out any problems. Didn't think I would ever have to deal with this, but surprise surprise..I did. I was hoping this would be an easy process to notify the company of what happened and getting my money refunded, but I was very wrong.

Contacted Glu Mobile with a Email and received a reply stating the following:

Thank you for contacting Glu Mobile Customer Care.

We have detected that your inquiry is about an Android Market billing issue. We currently are experiencing a heavy volume of requests. Our response time by an agent is quite long but we do not want to keep you waiting. This auto reply should provide enough information to help you with your inquiry. If you still need to engage with our team, you can submit a ticket from our support page at: glu.com/support (Ask a Question is the link you want to click on).

-Glu Mobile has a no refund policy. This information is stated in our Terms of Use glu.com/terms)
-In-App purchases are non refundable. This is also stated in our terms of use.

-Unauthorized purchases / unintentional purchases:

Purchasing Apps and In-Game currency requires the device operator to select and agree to these purchases on the device that is being used. This action is initiated by the person using the device at the time of purchase.

The Android Market prompts the user with an

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones