• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Glu Mobile horror story-- don't buy from Glu.

EvilBit

Lurker
Jan 12, 2011
Just a warning, everybody. Don't buy any games from Glu Mobile.

A little while ago, I purchased the Transformers G1 turn-based strategy game from Glu Mobile. It cost $2.99, which isn't a horrible price and not at all something I suffered to afford. However, this doesn't mean I wasn't upset when it was effectively stolen from me by Glu.

Recently I had the memory of my phone wiped, and with it all of my installed apps. Not a problem, really, as all of my purchases are remembered by my Google account and easily reinstated. Except for one. For some reason, Transformers G1 was giving me an error message stating that the app could not be found on the Marketplace. I contacted Glu customer support about the issue, and their response was:
"Thank you for contacting Glu Mobile Customer Service.

This game has been removed from the Android Market due to licensing issues. It was requested from the makers that we remove the game. We are very sorry for this disappointing news. We are sorry we could not be of further help."
In short, my game was no longer available to me due to the fact that Glu somehow could not maintain their license with Hasbro over the Transformers property. I was no longer allowed to download or play the game I had purchased. $3 entirely down the tubes. Again, this is no huge amount of money, but on principle, I believe I deserved a refund for having my rights to the purchase removed without my consent. I sent another customer support request to Glu about it in hopes of getting a refund or some other compensation, but have thus far been ignored.

I think it's only fair that if they don't give me a refund, then I should tell the Android gaming community about their indifferent customer service policies so that maybe my $3 will come out of their pocket somehow or another. If there's a Glu Mobile game on the marketplace that's caught your eye, maybe just save your money and play some more Angry Birds instead.

Thanks for listening.

Reactions: Arni01
I would think that if you have a receipt for the purchase, that they should maybe offer you another game. I'm not aware of what guarantee's we have as end users, that games or apps will be available for re-download for xyz amount of time. I lost some apps when I did a factory reset of my phone, but had deleted the emails I received as receipts (I was new to Android). I'd be interested to read what others have for input...

Upvote 0
Honestly, I fail to see how this is Glu mobiles fault. It's good to know why G1 isn't on the market anymore, but honestly, nobody ripped you off.
You paid for a game and got it. Because of licensing issues, it is now not available anywhere, so it's more like you had something special, that you weren't supposed to get in the first place.

Being able to download a file again and again is a free service we get on Android and iPhone, it is in no way guaranteed.

A few years ago I published games for O2 in Germany and we had a 30-day download link, so customers could get their game as often as they liked. We were the only supplier that gave you the possibility for a second download, nobody would give you another download, even if the first download didn't work.

The possibility to redownload something came back with the iPhone and even there you can't redownload banned apps. People who have a app that disappeared from the market are usually happy that they got it in time.

So my tip for you is to see it that way, you had a special game, that not many people could play. And I'm sure if you asked nicely, Glu will give you another game from them, if they have a way.
It is a little hard to give away games for Android, without circumventing your copy protection, because there still are no codes for games on the Android market.

Reactions: lealea03
Upvote 0
Honestly, I fail to see how this is Glu mobiles fault. It's good to know why G1 isn't on the market anymore, but honestly, nobody ripped you off.
You paid for a game and got it. Because of licensing issues, it is now not available anywhere, so it's more like you had something special, that you weren't supposed to get in the first place.

Being able to download a file again and again is a free service we get on Android and iPhone, it is in no way guaranteed.

A few years ago I published games for O2 in Germany and we had a 30-day download link, so customers could get their game as often as they liked. We were the only supplier that gave you the possibility for a second download, nobody would give you another download, even if the first download didn't work.

The possibility to redownload something came back with the iPhone and even there you can't redownload banned apps. People who have a app that disappeared from the market are usually happy that they got it in time.

So my tip for you is to see it that way, you had a special game, that not many people could play. And I'm sure if you asked nicely, Glu will give you another game from them, if they have a way.
It is a little hard to give away games for Android, without circumventing your copy protection, because there still are no codes for games on the Android market.
Whilst I partially see your point you still have to bear in mind being able to re-download purchased apps is a feature of the Android market. Therefore we shouldn't need to feel grateful that we're able to do this. Unless of course there's some small print somewhere in the EULA I'm not aware of that relates to circumstances such as the OP's.

Upvote 0

My main issue with it is that I suffered a loss for something that was apparently mismanaged on their part. There's no good reason that a game should be released and then face licensing issues after the fact. That is something that should be accounted for when drawing up the licensing agreements. Once a property is in the wild, it should be there to stay, unless otherwise explicitly noted. Glu failed to handle this in a mature fashion and their customers took the hit.

Upvote 0
My main issue with it is that I suffered a loss for something that was apparently mismanaged on their part. There's no good reason that a game should be released and then face licensing issues after the fact. That is something that should be accounted for when drawing up the licensing agreements. Once a property is in the wild, it should be there to stay, unless otherwise explicitly noted. Glu failed to handle this in a mature fashion and their customers took the hit.

I agree with this, however to call this a "horror story" is kinda ridiculous don't you think?

Upvote 0
None of us have had similar instances of lost games or apps from other developers before... :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean it isn't something you don't want to happen to you, and this is simply my anecdote of Glu doing just that. Should I not have said anything and simply taken the hit? I think poor customer service should be exposed for the edification of the interested populace. If you don't care, move on.

Upvote 0
This is the dark side of "being so open" and the fact that the modern Wild West (the Android Market) exists. I prefer it open, even if I could lose money for buying an application that is then removed due to copyright issues.

When I see an obvious rip-off of a known IP on the Market, I don't download it, knowing very well that the fun might only be temporary.

Also, did you contact Google about this?

Upvote 0
You bought a bad cup of coffee and had to throw it out. Are you never going to buy coffee again?

Seriously?

I buy a cup of coffee that tastes perfectly fine. After a few minutes pass and I've only taken a couple of sips, the barista comes over and says, "Sorry, it turns out we brewed this with beans illegally imported from Colombia." He takes the cup of coffee and throws it out. Sure, I could have chugged the coffee before he took it, and maybe I could have brought another cup and smuggled some of the coffee away, but I didn't foresee the barista just walking up and tossing my drink. I'm offered no refund and no replacement coffee from another bean. They just sit and wait to see if I want to buy another cup of coffee from them. I don't.

Also, to address the previous post by gevrik, I don't see this being a matter of openness. To my understanding, it was not a rip-off that didn't belong on the market. Glu Mobile is a "respectable" mobile games developer that should not be falling afoul of IP rights.

Upvote 0
Seriously?

I buy a cup of coffee that tastes perfectly fine. After a few minutes pass and I've only taken a couple of sips, the barista comes over and says, "Sorry, it turns out we brewed this with beans illegally imported from Colombia." He takes the cup of coffee and throws it out. Sure, I could have chugged the coffee before he took it, and maybe I could have brought another cup and smuggled some of the coffee away, but I didn't foresee the barista just walking up and tossing my drink. I'm offered no refund and no replacement coffee from another bean. They just sit and wait to see if I want to buy another cup of coffee from them. I don't.

Also, to address the previous post by gevrik, I don't see this being a matter of openness. To my understanding, it was not a rip-off that didn't belong on the market. Glu Mobile is a "respectable" mobile games developer that should not be falling afoul of IP rights.

id say its closer to getting a coffe with illegal beans drinking most of it and then trying to get a refill and them going sorry we dont have it anymore.

They didnt take it. you had it and reset your phone. they just no longer offer it.

Upvote 0
WTH -- they still have it on their site...

TRANSFORMERS G1: AWAKENING | Glu Games

For iPhone, Palm and Mobile phones, not for Android specifically (which is a category on their site). It may return, but...sounds unlikely.

"In short, my game was no longer available to me due to the fact that Glu somehow could not maintain their license with Hasbro over the Transformers property. I was no longer allowed to download or play the game I had purchased."

If the above is truly the case, then it would effect all platforms. Not very likely that Hasbro says that it's OK to sell to iPhone, Palm, etc...but not to Android.

Upvote 0
"In short, my game was no longer available to me due to the fact that Glu somehow could not maintain their license with Hasbro over the Transformers property. I was no longer allowed to download or play the game I had purchased."

If the above is truly the case, then it would effect all platforms. Not very likely that Hasbro says that it's OK to sell to iPhone, Palm, etc...but not to Android.

I suppose the licensing could have been related to a piece of middleware or something instead. I misspoke when I directly attached it to the Transformers license. It's irrelevant though. I didn't cause the licensing issues.

Upvote 0
id say its closer to getting a coffe with illegal beans drinking most of it and then trying to get a refill and them going sorry we dont have it anymore.

They didnt take it. you had it and reset your phone. they just no longer offer it.

Yes and no. There was an expectation of continued availability, so it's more like one of those bottomless coffee mugs where you pay for a reusable cup and they refill it for free for a year or something.

Upvote 0
Yes and no. There was an expectation of continued availability, so it's more like one of those bottomless coffee mugs where you pay for a reusable cup and they refill it for free for a year or something.

Hello Evilbit,

Could you please contact me via the support email thread that was sent to you when you inquired about the game? or if you prefer, create a new ticket and mention that you are the person who posted on the Android forum and I will assist you with an acceptable resolution to this issue.

I apologize for the grief this unfortunate turn of events caused to you and I look forward to hearing from you and addressing the problem to your satisfaction.

Regards,
Gabriel T.
Glu Mobile Customer Service

Reactions: EvilBit
Upvote 0
Hello Evilbit,

Could you please contact me via the support email thread that was sent to you when you inquired about the game? or if you prefer, create a new ticket and mention that you are the person who posted on the Android forum and I will assist you with an acceptable resolution to this issue.

I apologize for the grief this unfortunate turn of events caused to you and I look forward to hearing from you and addressing the problem to your satisfaction.

Regards,
Gabriel T.
Just curious, but why was the game pulled from the Android Market and not any of the other markets?

Upvote 0
Hello Evilbit,

Regards,
Gabriel T.

Thank you for responding. I don't receive email notifications regarding this thread, and had assumed it was a dead issue. I received an email today seeking to resolve the matter and have replied.

I still have no idea what exactly happened or why, but I appreciate the efforts to make up for the error.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones