• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail question

Captain Sexy

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010
So I did a factory reset last night. Reinstalled everything etc. I noticed this morning in checking "mail" my Gmail email acct wasn't there. So I added it and and then tested it. My email will show up if I refresh it. However, it used to be I would get notification in the status bar without having to download it fully to mail.

How do I get that back?

Settings/Accounts & sync/

Make sure Background data and Auto-sync are checked. Google (with your email address) should be under Manage accounts.

I'm noticing that my Contacts aren't syncing for some reason, though.

Always the simple stuff, auto sync wasn't on for me. Thanks!

My contacts are synced not sure what's going on there for you.

Upvote 0
Settings/Accounts & sync/

Make sure Background data and Auto-sync are checked. Google (with your email address) should be under Manage accounts.

I'm noticing that my Contacts aren't syncing for some reason, though.

I've heard from several people of this problem. Might have to do with 200k Androids being sold per day - don't know for sure.

Meanwhile - on that same screen you describe - would highly advise that this is a good time for Sync All.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones