• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google “pauses” Android accessibility app crackdown after public outcry

Last month, Google started warning developers who were using accessibility services for anything other than providing apps and services which helped disabled people that they would no longer be able to use it. There was public outcry over the decision, so Google has since halted those plans to gather feedback. In the meantime, those developers will only need to place a disclaimer about why they're using accessibility services in their app's descriptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, apps can easily abuse the Accessibility services to mine user data or even completely take over a device. Google is trying to find a way to balance the supreme power and abilities an app can gain by leveraging an Accessibility service against the gaping security risk that it might pose.

Users historically suck at reading permissions and warning dialogs to figure out the risk on their own, but then are quick to blame Google when something bad happens.

Upvote 0
apps can easily abuse the Accessibility services to mine user data or even completely take over a device
Then the permissions are too broad or misdirected.

Google is trying to find a way to balance the supreme power and abilities an app can gain by leveraging an Accessibility service against the gaping security risk that it might pose.
Like I said, Ready. Aim. Fire. Their execution is terrible and they should feel bad. :p

sers historically suck at reading permissions and warning dialogs to figure out the risk on their own, but then are quick to blame Google when something bad happens.
Agree, but Google also ham fists this stuff from time to time (a lot of the time) killing legit apps for overly broad edicts that aren't well thought out.

Upvote 0
I really hope Google doesn't do this. Tasker is a godsend for phones that can't be rooted. I'm very hard of hearing and rely on Tasker to systematically disable the recurring safe volume limit enforced on my current handset, because neither Google or Kyocera give a crap about people who are deaf and listen to music.

I read all permissions. Those I'm not sure of, I look up. And that is why I don't install anything on my phone except the basics, nor do I link my Android to all of my banking and life info on social media like some morons who cry when their phone is infiltrated and point at Google do.

I love how everyone's solution is to eliminate accountability and just assume everyone is stupid. Apps should give full disclosure in layman's terms and Google should have an acknowledgement box.

If they disable Tasker I'm done with Android. If BlackBerry 10 had an Android 4.4 runtime capability I'd still be using them!

Upvote 0
I hear you, I'm a dedicated Tasker user as well. Over the years, though, Google has introduced other ways for apps to gain much of the functionality provided by using an Accessibility service without having to resort to an Accessibility service. This lets you manage permissions in a more granular way rather than just swinging the door wide open. Tasker should have already been updated to use the Usage Access APIs, for instance, rather than relying on the old Accessibility hack.

I hope that getting stricter on apps in this way will encourage developers to implement these features the right way rather than just the easy way (or the way they've been doing things for years).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones