• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google I/O 2014 Discussion / Coverage

Hey, all you non-Nexus elite. If the Android L Developer Preview (which arrived exclusively for the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7) got you feeling down in the dumps with all its glitz and glamor, don’t worry. It appears that many Android devs are working ’round the clock to bring some of those flashy features introduced […]

More...

Upvote 0
One of the many things Google talked about yesterday was Android Wear. They gave us a demo of the software, and announced two smartwatches that can be purchased right now. One thing that they didn't talk a lot about is what devices are compatible with Android Wear.

More...

Said my phone is compatible. Which is an Oppo F7a with CM11 4.4.4. Isn't it supposed to be compatible with any devices that have 4.3 or higher, and nothing proprietary to certain makes and devices? - unlike Sony's and Samsung's existing smartwatches.

Upvote 0
Just had a look. Is the app not exactly the same as Paranoid Android's "Hover'?

I haven't tried it yet (because <3 Hover), but it looks like the big difference is that the Heads-Up notification floats towards the top of the screen, while Hover docks it at the top. Personally, I prefer it anchored like PA does.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain what's fundamentally different from the pop-up notifications that iOS originally had (before they copied the Android version)?

I tried the app for a minute, thought "this seems more intrusive" and uninstalled it. Maybe I didn't give it long enough to find the killer feature?

It does seem pretty similar. I think the idea is that the Heads-Up notifications can be configured so that only the really important notifications show up that way, while everything else will use the same ticker that's always been used. Hopefully that would let you see important things front-and-center without interrupting you for app update notifications (for example).

Upvote 0
Said my phone is compatible. Which is an Oppo F7a with CM11 4.4.4. Isn't it supposed to be compatible with any devices that have 4.3 or higher, and nothing proprietary to certain makes and devices? - unlike Sony's and Samsung's existing smartwatches.
Yep. You can bet wear is an open platform.

Manufacturers aren't even allowed to skin it - Other than changing the watch face.

Upvote 0
I haven't tried it yet (because <3 Hover), but it looks like the big difference is that the Heads-Up notification floats towards the top of the screen, while Hover docks it at the top. Personally, I prefer it anchored like PA does.

I love how PA do it and Float View. And apps can be blacklisted in settings, apps.
It's especially good as I use expanded desktop (no status or nav bar)
I actually don't use PA, its been cherry picked :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I'm in a love hate relationship with this idea.

I think google may be doing this as a test run for their smart phones, leaving it quote unquote open source per the gnu licensing that they are required to have, but then saying no modifications shall be allowed..

Its a good idea because android will drop some of its fragmentation rate... Maybe.

And its a bad thing because the customized features of OEMS make android what it really is..... Sometimes.

Guess we just got to wait and see..

Upvote 0
I'm in a love hate relationship with this idea.

I think google may be doing this as a test run for their smart phones, leaving it quote unquote open source per the gnu licensing that they are required to have, but then saying no modifications shall be allowed..

Its a good idea because android will drop some of its fragmentation rate... Maybe.

And its a bad thing because the customized features of OEMS make android what it really is..... Sometimes.

Guess we just got to wait and see..
We will always have the skin options IMO. Googles just been trying to reel some of them in closer to the ship.

Its important android wear devices all work pretty much the same way.

If you take a look at android one, that's what I expect silver to look like when it debutes. Not the same pricing, but many manufacturers on board with stock android options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones