• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google issues after rooting Optimus V

JunieG

Lurker
I rooted an Optimus V running Froyo 2.2. using Gingerbreak, and it went through easily. Phone, messaging, Voip, all working.

I deleted some VM bloatware - but looks like I did something wrong.... I thought I could delete gmail and maps from phone, and download them from google play to load onto the sd, but this was a mistake.

Google play is no longer working. And I can't download a browser from anywhere. Lost access to gmail, google search, browser.:( Can't reload from google play. they see the device, and say the app is installed, but this is not true

Is this something I can fix within this root, or do I have to reload Froyo and start over again?

NOTE - I made an error installing Gingerbreak. It is installed on the phone, not on the sd. It was copied onto the sd and installed from there, from the phone, not from a data cable. Can I install it on the sd to fix things, or do I have to restore and start over again?

My Widgets are blazing - Wikipedia, Facebook, Yahoo Mail - I just seem to have lost ability to connect with downloading apps. Can't get anything google going on - gmail, Search, Play Store.

What can I do?

Trying to fix the problem now would be quite the undertaking with no success in sight.
It would have been better to have installed a custom recovery and made a backup of the stock ROM that could have been restored when you messed things up a bit.
Lesson learned I hope.

To straighten out, you have two choices:
1. Flash the ZV9 update which will straighten everything out, but will wipe root (can be rooted after).
2. Try to install a custom recovery and ROM.

Option 1 is the easiest and best.
Go to the All Things Root sub-forum (scroll down to bottom of this forum)/All things Root Guide sticky/Guides. Read the guide on the ZV9 update.

Thanks for replying. Lesson learned, to be sure.

The instructions you gave were very clear and I was attempting it. Bummer though - As I was downloading the files for the Flash to my PC, it didn't like something, and the hard drive failed, or maybe it just chose that time to die

I only have my Mac working now - so it doesn't look like there are any options open to me to flash via Mac, or otherwise add browsing and gmail.

Could be worse - at least only the web browser, google play, and gmail are gone. It still functions as a phone.

I looked into downloading .apks to my Mac and then onto the phone, but doesn't look like I can do that.

Thanks again for your help. The fault is mine - I did not go about it in a systematic manner.

YIKES - I got lucky. I put some .apk files onto the sd card - and what do you know - I have Market, gmail, and browser again.

Thanks for holding my hand throughout this crisis. I have learned my lesson and will go forth and do as few stupid things as possible.

My deepest gratitude.

YIKES - I got lucky. I put some .apk files onto the sd card - and what do you know - I have Market, gmail, and browser again.

Thanks for holding my hand throughout this crisis. I have learned my lesson and will go forth and do as few stupid things as possible.

My deepest gratitude.

Are you rooted, if you have superuser in your app drawer
then you should have root, if not you should try rooting again with gingerbreak.
Once you have root follow this guide http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/697813-how-install-flash_image-flash-recovery-rom-theme.html
Right now the MiRaGe rom is the most stable for our phone.

I don't know if you want a custom recovery and rom on your phone, but if you follow the guide to the letter it is very easy and you will be much happier with your phone.

You don't need a computer to do any of this. Just a suggestion, at least read the guide a few times, then ask questions before doing anything, we will be happy to help.

We have all done this before and bricked our phones so you don't have to.

+1 ^
Glad you got it working again.
Very resourceful with the .apk's I must admit. I didn't think the Google PlayStore could be installed from sd card when no PlayStore app in system and still function properly..
Lesson Learned.

Best place to go from here is the All Things Root Guide sticky. Most everything you would need to know about the V is compiled there.

Back
Top Bottom