• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps Location Issues?

Is anyone having issues with Google Maps being able to pinpoint your exact location while using the Evo?

I used to use Google Maps all the time on my MyTouch, and it would always find my exact location with no problem. But I used it for the first time today on my Evo, and it was always a couple of streets off (not "general" location with the transparent blue circle, but "exact" location w/no circle). This is very inconvenient when using Navigation because it keeps wanting to redirect from a place that I'm not at.

I made sure my GPS was on before I started using Maps. I haven't tried using Sprint Nav or any other Nav apps, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with Google Maps, or the Evo GPS.

Any suggestions?

Uninstall and reinstall? Got the latest updated Google Maps? Trying using Layars to see if it pinpoints you. Just 1 example of another program that can use your GPS. Or Google Sky? i think thats what its called.

Yeah I couldn't uninstall the full application, but I uninstalled/reinstalled the updates. Location has gotten a little better for me, but it still doesn't seem as accurate as it was on my other Android device. And I just plain don't like Sprint Nav so I use it.

Oh well, hopefully there is another update coming that will help with this, too.

I just noticed today when I was doing a 4G test. I wanted to map where I was and on Google maps it was way off, like 1/8th mile and the arrow was pointing north while I was facing south with the phone in my hand.
I did install the version via MarketPlace and it said it was going to update it, this was a week or so ago.

Mine was fine before the update the other day. After the update, ive noticed a lot of problems. When i first startup the app, it thinks my location is in two different spots, and keeps switching back and forth between the two. after about 2 minutes, it finally finds my location.

after that, it wont download the maps or get directions. all i get is the checkerboard white background. when i went to type in directions, it says "getting directions" but never finds them. sometimes i get an error that says i've lost the data connection, even though i have full bars and the 3g symbol is lit up. Ive tried reboots and that didnt help. google Maps and the navigatoin app both do this. I have to believe this is something to do with the update.

after that, it wont download the maps or get directions. all i get is the checkerboard white background. when i went to type in directions, it says "getting directions" but never finds them. sometimes i get an error that says i've lost the data connection, even though i have full bars and the 3g symbol is lit up. Ive tried reboots and that didnt help. google Maps and the navigatoin app both do this. I have to believe this is something to do with the update.
Mine started that today. I was almost wondering if Googles servers were having issues. I get the data connection lost too while having full bars. I can click over to the browser or a speed test and see that I'm getting great signal/speed. It's been taking forever to load the maps though.

As for the original question. My location is right on within about 5 feet. I looked at it earlier and it even had me in the exact parking spot I was in!

Back
Top Bottom