• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now Launcher

Does anyone know how to get it to show in the play store so that I can get future updates?

As per the Play Store entry for the Google Now Launcher...

"Available on Nexus or Google Play edition devices with Android 4.4 (KitKat)."

You will need to root your phone and flash the Google Edition ROM so that the Play Store recognises your phone as a GT-i9505G model.

Ironass, Thanks for all the downloads. I installed and set it up, but just wasn't as impressed with it as I am with Touchwiz. I know, most think that touchwiz sucks, but I particularly like it. Go figure. Anyway, I have it should I get the itch to change up again.

Thanks again for your help,

What's different in the launcher? I like touchwiz also and don't really see what all the complaints are about it. I guess I'm one of those people who don't need all the flashy stuff.

Ironass, Thanks for all the downloads. I installed and set it up, but just wasn't as impressed with it as I am with Touchwiz. I know, most think that touchwiz sucks, but I particularly like it. Go figure. Anyway, I have it should I get the itch to change up again.

Thanks again for your help,

Im going to be that guy also. What Is touchwiz? The stock launcher?

Burt, Actually Touchwiz is one of the flashier launchers that come on carrier branded phones. The Google Experience Launcher is not as flashy, but does have some features that I like. I have used Google Launcher before and liked it, but after giving it a shot this time, I prefer Touchwiz.

Colter, Touchwiz is Samsung's Stock Launcher. It is definitely not a Nova in terms of flexibility, but it is pretty good and I have found that it is very stable.

Overall, I appreciate Ironass providing the apk for the Google Experience Launcher. That, in and of itself, is the absolute beauty of Android. I wanted to try a different launcher, so I just popped it on the phone an off I went. The flexibility of Android is what keeps me interested. Some days I just download an app and give it a go to see what it does. The Google Launcher was slick and I love the "Now" homepage, but I can reproduce it on Touchwiz and Touchwiz has some features that I like. To each his own...

They said curiosity killed the cat but what the hell... what are the things you like in touch wiz?

It runs as smooth as any other launcher that I have tried. I have tried Nova, Google Experience, Holo and a couple of others and TW always seems smoother than the rest. I like the badges for Messaging, Email, etc... I don't have to jump through any hoops or install anything additional to get those and on TW they work from a folder also. SPlanner has a calendar widget the is only available with TW and it is by far the best grid based calendar that I have seen. I guess just little stuff like that. Opinions vary and I certainly don't think mine is the correct opinion, but it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom