• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Google Services" power hungry since Android 6.0 update

Does anyone have input/experience using the apps 'Greenify' and/or 'GserviceFix' to work with the issue of 'Google Play Services' consuming battery rather than doing a 'factory reset'????

We've given you what is most likely the best solution to your problem. You may not like the answer, but we can't do anything about that.

You can't greenify Google services. If you did then your phone would perform awful.

After every major software upgrade (ie... Change in OS) you should perform a factory data reset.

You can try not leaving sync on all the time if you are doing that.

Have a great day [emoji217]

I finally bit the bullet - doing a factory data reset as I am typing this!

One question at this time; How do I ensure that all of my calendar entries from Google Calendar move from [computer] Google Calendar to my phone's calendar?

I have been able to get everything working EXCEPT Amazon - cannot locate where to find my previously purchased apps to download them.
I used Helium to 'rebuild' my data intensive apps - worked great! That said, I have been at this for over 3 1/2 hours and not done (Amazon issue!).

I was able to locate the Amazon Underground App on the computer and then retrieve it on my phone. I was then able to retrieve my apps from the Amazon Cloud. Total time from start to phone totally restored was almost 4 hours! Don't want to have to do that again anytime soon!

Much THANX and appreciation to all those who encouraged and supported me while I tried to avoid the factory data reset - but I eventually performed to factory data reset!

Last edited:
I am now two days post Factory Data Reset: While the battery drain is SLIGHTLY better, it is still >3%/hr with Google Services the major drain and WiFi next (monitored by GSam Battery Monitor) with the phone sitting idle. Does it take "some time post FDR for the battery to settle-in?

Did factory reset one week ago. The battery drain by "Google Play Services" was greatly reduced for several days, BUT past few days it has been increasing its drain of the battery again. Any ideas as to why?

Google Services has continued to consume 10-15% of battery (post factory reset) even when phone idle. Any thoughts - is this normal or excessive? How can it be improved if excessive?

More than 2 weeks have passed since I did Factory reset - "Google Services" still consuming 10 - 15+% of battery power (per GSam Battery monitor). Is this normal? If not, any thoughts as to the way forward, or must I "Grin and Bear It"? [I have NOT added any apps to the phone in many months.] Update: Indeed, this morning "Google Services" used >20 20 % of battery use over 3 1/2 hours when the phone was in standby - on but no activity on my part.

This is VERY confusing! Or, "Is this the new normal for Android?"

Thanks for your help and insights!

Last edited:
After Factory Reset, Google Services dropped to about 10%. Recently, however, Google Services has increased to 15% or greater. I have not installed any new apps. (I actually have removed some of the apps I previously had installed.) Any thoughts why Google Service is again acting up as a "Juice Sucker"?

Google Play Service started acting up for me about a week ago. It's taking 61% of my battery life. I've tried clearing the cache, turning off sync and location, but there's still been no change. Is there a way to fix this without factory reset?

I did factory reset. It improved things for a few days, but Google Play Services is back to its draining power ways.

You all need to be more accurate when you say things like 61%.

61% of what? battery life? 61% of 20% in battery drop? over 1 hour or 96 hours?

Saying it takes 61% of battery life does not help

For my M8, GSam Battery Monitor reports that Google Play services usage ranges from 12% to >25% whether or not I am using the phone. I decided "What the Heck" and have concluded that "It is what it is - An apparent Android flaw!"

You all need to be more accurate when you say things like 61%.

61% of what? battery life? 61% of 20% in battery drop? over 1 hour or 96 hours?

Saying it takes 61% of battery life does not help

~61% in battery life over 6-8 hours and it'd drop from a 90% battery life to under 25% in that time frame with no usage.

Back
Top Bottom