• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice questions

zoxxo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
I'm getting ready to dump my home phone service and I have a few questions about Google Voice.

- Can I port my landline number over to Google Voice?

- I already have a GV account, if the number can be ported, can they change my GV phone number to my ported number? Would there be advantages to having both GV numbers? I don't use my GV account right now, but would be more active if porting was possible.

- If number porting is possible, how would I go about making it happen?

- Will I be able to receive text messages from both my Verizon account and my GV account or is it one or the other?

- Is there anything else I should consider/watch out for when porting my number over (if possible)?

I'm hoping to cut out the extra phone cost but also keep my old landline number since it's pretty well established. Thanks in advance for your feedback...

You can't port a home/landline number, just cell numbers. From GV faq/help:

Can a landline be ported at this time?

No, we currently are unable to port landline numbers.
Rats, I was hoping this would work. I've had my home phone for years, and while I don't use it that much, it would be so much easier if Google offered this feature...

Upvote 0
The way I understand it, even if you could port your # it would terminate the service with your cellphone provider anyway.
I think that would happen if I was attempting to port my cell number. In this case I was hoping to port my home (landline) number, so if it were possible, I would lose the landline service...

Upvote 0
The short answer is long. lol. You would have to add the actual routing number GV uses to FF for outgoing calls to be free, the trouble there is that they change often. Your best bet is to install a call-back app. I use GV Callback by Xinlu, it is no longer in Play but IS on Amazon. There are other similar apps though, I have not tried any. They intercept the outgoing call and call you back at your GV number so it is treated as an incoming call to GV and therefore, free. Sort of a PITA but it works and free is free!

Reactions: hosanna7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones