• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice, SMS, voicemail, et al

Headcase_Fargone

I recently decided to give Cyanogenmod a spin. While I love the general speed boost it provided, I'm having a hard time replacing some of the apps that came built-in with the stock Sense install.

The first thing that I noticed missing was Sprint Visual Voicemail. I saw a few APKs floating around and some claims that people were able to get it working under Cyanogenmod, but I've not been able to. I decided my only alternative was to begin using Google Voice for voicemail. After merging my Sprint number with Google Voice my voicemail needs have been satisfied.

The trouble now is that Google Voice has completely taken over my SMS functionality as well. I do not want this. I don't want SMS test messages going through GV at all if it can be helped, and at the very least I certainly don't want to get a notification from GV on top of the one from Handcent, my preferred SMS app. I DO, however, want notifications of arriving voicemails.

Basically the setup I'm looking for is thus:

Voicemail: Google Voice, new messages sent to notification bar
Voice Dialer: Sprint/Android phone launcher
SMS/MMS: Handcent via Sprint, new text messages sent to notification bar by Handcent (no GV involvement)

So far I'm not seeing a way to do this. Is it even possible?

I recently decided to give Cyanogenmod a spin. While I love the general speed boost it provided, I'm having a hard time replacing some of the apps that came built-in with the stock Sense install.

The first thing that I noticed missing was Sprint Visual Voicemail. I saw a few APKs floating around and some claims that people were able to get it working under Cyanogenmod, but I've not been able to. I decided my only alternative was to begin using Google Voice for voicemail. After merging my Sprint number with Google Voice my voicemail needs have been satisfied.

The trouble now is that Google Voice has completely taken over my SMS functionality as well. I do not want this. I don't want SMS test messages going through GV at all if it can be helped, and at the very least I certainly don't want to get a notification from GV on top of the one from Handcent, my preferred SMS app. I DO, however, want notifications of arriving voicemails.

Basically the setup I'm looking for is thus:

Voicemail: Google Voice, new messages sent to notification bar
Voice Dialer: Sprint/Android phone launcher
SMS/MMS: Handcent via Sprint, new text messages sent to notification bar by Handcent (no GV involvement)

So far I'm not seeing a way to do this. Is it even possible?

I'm assuming you have the google voice app downloaded to your phone. Open it, click on settings, makeing calls, and make sure it's set to "Do not use Google Voice to make calls".

This should get you to using google voice for voicemail only and your sprint number should disassociate with gv. This is how I have mine setup and works great. You should also be able to disconnect your sprint number from gv on the gv website too...

I'm assuming you have the google voice app downloaded to your phone. Open it, click on settings, makeing calls, and make sure it's set to "Do not use Google Voice to make calls".

This should get you to using google voice for voicemail only and your sprint number should disassociate with gv. This is how I have mine setup and works great. You should also be able to disconnect your sprint number from gv on the gv website too...

I checked this and it was already set to not make calls.

If anyone comes across this thread with the same issue, I ended up seeing on the GV web page (wasn't in settings in the app anywhere OR the mobile version of the site) a setting for sending SMS to the phone.

All appears to be well now. GV SMS transcription is pretty sweet, by the way.

Can you let me know how you did this? I have the exact same requirements and I can't seem to get it to work. I couldn't find a setting on the GV web page for not sending SMS to phone. The only thing I found was under "Edit" for a particular phone number, but I disabled that and I'm still receiving SMS through GV instead of the phone.

So, I've installed GV and like most people who have posted post GV install, I have some issues...

The biggest one is that it has taken over my SMS. I've searched and I found threads directing me to log into GV, click edit under my phone number and ensure that the checkbox next to "receive text messages on this phone" is checked. After that, I've gone so far as to reboot my phone.

Now, SMS are arriving in Handcent (finally), but still arriving in GV. How can I stop this?

edit: apparently, the issue is Sprint's new "integration" with GV. Great idea for new users, it seems, but sucks for those of us effectively using GV to have a 2nd # on our phone. Looks like newer installs will no longer allow this option, but force the user to choose between using either Sprint or GV#, with no option for both.

sorry for the noble post but this is my problem flash cm7 worked great than for some reason my incoming calls ask me to press 1 to answer a call and my voice mail want my pin i can't fine a way to change it evey call I have to do this before i just pressed answer and get my calls i have flashed my stock Rom and its still there Is this from me setting Google voice mail in step of Sprint voice just want to work like before thinking of factory reset

Back
Top Bottom