• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GSM] No OS on my Evo 3D. Please Help

So,

Let me start by thanking everyone in advance for all their help :)

I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of a jam here. I have an EVO 3D (on Rogers in Canada) which I unlocked for my sister to take to Australia (No Root). When she got back to Canada and returned the phone, I was prompted to OTA update my 3D to ICS. I excitedly accepted...Big (Rookie) Mistake! The OTA update seemed to have completely wiped my phone of all data including the OS.

When the phone is turned on, it goes straight into the HTC boot screen and stays there.

Now, I'm stumped. I've tried everything I can think of to get it back up and running again to no success. No backup files were created. I tried really hard to find the factory image from Rogers to no success. What now? Can the phone be rooted in this state to allow me to flash another ROM? Is it easier to install stock? Does anyone have a link with a ROM to download? I'm totally lost.

This is my first post on Phandroid and I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me. My GNEX's micro usb port decided to quit and I won't be getting my Nexus 4 for about 6 weeks.

P.S. I'm not technologically illiterate, but I'm not a tech genius either. I may get stuck on some of the more advanced jargon.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Hi Tyler,

Did you flash a custom recovery to the phone? To take an OTA you need the stock recovery, so I was wondering if you had flashed a custom recovery? If so, you can likely boot into recovery and flash a custom rom. The best idea would probably be to run the RUU for your phone and start over at stock and then decide if you want to unlock again and/or root.

You can find the RUU here:
RUU_SHOOTER_U_ICS_35_S_Rogers_WWE_3.28.631.1_Radio_11.77.3504.00U_11.25.3504.06_M_release_262715_signed.exe

You have to re-lock the bootloader before running the RUU. The RUU will return you to completely stock ICS.

Do a quick battery pull, then get into your bootloader by holding volume down+power. Once in that menu, use the volume up or down key to navigate to "fastboot" and then use the power button to select fastboot.

You should see fastboot in red letters. Plug into your PC and you should see fastboot usb. If so,
use the fastboot command fastboot oem lock
That should return your bootloader to say RELOCKED. If so then run the RUU that you downloaded and follow the instructions that it provides.

Can take between 10-20 minutes. After it's finished your phone should be updated to ICS and be completely stock again. Then it's up to you if you want to unlock the phone again or root it.

Brian,

Thanks so much for trying to help but I'm still having major issues.

The computer I originally used to unlock the bootloader is no longer in my possession. As a result, This computer no longer has the drivers for the Evo 3D. I have looked high and low for the drivers and have had no success. HTC even took the liberty of removing them from their website since they no longer sell the phone (Thanks a lot HTC). When I plug in the phone to my computer, the red Fastboot turns into Fastboot AC as opposed to the Fastboot USB in which you described. I downloaded the RUU from the link provided (Thank you for that) but can't run it until I can figure out how to relock the bootloader in this state.

When I run fastboot, it opens and closes very quickly.

Pulling my hair out here. LOL

Any suggestions? I thank you so much for your help thus far.

Hey Brian,

Thanks a lot for the drivers :).
Sadly, however, the computer still doesn't recognize the phone. It still says Fastboot AC the same way it does when I plus it into a charger.

Do you have any other ideas?

I'm stumped, but I'm not giving up. It'll feel awesome when it's working.

Hey Brian,

Thanks a lot for the drivers :).
Sadly, however, the computer still doesn't recognize the phone. It still says Fastboot AC the same way it does when I plus it into a charger.

Do you have any other ideas?

I'm stumped, but I'm not giving up. It'll feel awesome when it's working.

What cable are you using? There's not a chance that it's a charge only cable is it? Some cables will only charge and are not actually data cables... Other than that, the only thing I can think is that your computer is still not recognizing the phone.

Are there any other cables you can try?

Also, I still had my HTC sync exe from when I rooted so I put it on my dropbox. Here is the link if you want to try that as well....

Brian,

You are the man of the hour. I located another cable and plugged it in. Fastboot USB now shows up. for whatever reason though, when I try to open fastboot, nothing happens

Any suggestions?

Brian,

You are the man of the hour. I located another cable and plugged it in. Fastboot USB now shows up. for whatever reason though, when I try to open fastboot, nothing happens

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by open fastboot? you just need your phone in fastboot usb mode connected to the PC and then just double click on the RUU to run it. It should do everything else.

Brian,

It's working, It's working, It's WORKING.

Took some tinkering, a bit of frustration and a lot of help from you, but it's back up and running on ICS.

I can't thank you enough for your help.:D:D:D

Awesome!! :D so glad you are up and running! That went pretty smooth! I'm happy with this one :smokingsomb:

Back
Top Bottom