• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GSM] Rooting help

toflyin

Lurker
Wow, I think I have dug myself a deep hole this time. Decided to unlock and root my HTC Evo 3d (Rogers GSM). I followed the steps at "Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo 3D ROMs" including paying for and installing 4EXT. Everything was going great until I tried to install the Jelly Bean ROM cm-10.1-20130215-unofficial-shooteru.zip

The phone is looked in a boot loop and all I get to see is the white HTC screen and the CyanogenMod screen, one after another after another.

How do I break this loop?

Did you make a backup in recovery? Hopefully yes!

Do a battery pull and then hold volume down + power to get into the bootloader. Then use volume keys to navigate to recovery, use power button to select recovery.

Once inside go to the wipe menu. Format all partitions (except sd card)

Then go to back up /restore and restore the backup assuming you made one with 4ext recovery.

If not we will have to boot twrp so you can restore your twrp backup.

If no backup at all we need to find the stock rom to flash or run an ruu.

You can't flash a cm rom unless you are s-off and downgraded your hboot. That is why you are bootlooping. On your current hboot you can basically only flash stock based roms

Ok first thing you'll need to do is (as previously mentioned restore your stock nandroid backup. Once you do this I recommend doing the wire trick to get s-off. It does work but only if on stock rom. Then you should downgrade your h boit to 1.49007 or lower. Personally I think its the best version. To do so see this link
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535987
If after you try to flash the hboot file and it fais boot into recovery ( use twrp not 4ext) and use the option reboot bootloader. After that try to flash the hboot file again and it should work. Then once it downgrades you'll need to boot back to recover from the fastboot menu and go to your file manager in recovery and either move or delete the file. Then you can flash anything you want without a boot loop

Back
Top Bottom