• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Fixing MMS on Sense-based Sprint ROMS

Prinny

Resident Linux Nutcase
Hey, folks. I've had a request for this, and I figure this is a good idea to explain. Since I know I'm not the only one who wants to use Sprint ROMs.

Credit for this goes to Chingling, as I PM'd him asking how to do it. Thanks, Chingling!

Alright, so you have a new shiny Sprint ROM, and you want MMS to work, right? Well you've come to the right place!

We're going to need a few things, for you Windows users. Well, one thing I should say. That thing being 7zip. You Linux users, the default archive manager works fine.

So what we need, take out from /system the build.prop from a sense-based V Rom. One that MMS works on. I used Power ROM for my example. Put it somewhere safe. Mine is in my /home/ folder. Next, navigate to /system/framework and pull out framework-res.apk.

This is where 7Zip comes in. What we need to do is Right click > And it SHOULD say something like "Explore" or "Open Archive" (I cannot say for certain, as Windows and I don't agree ;)) What you need to do, is navigate to /res/xml and find the apns.xml file. Pull that out and put it with the build.prop I had you pull.

====================Intermission=============================

I'm giving you folks a chance to take a break from reading. Go have a sammich. ;)

======================END================================

Alright, we're back folks. What we need to do now, is grab your sprint SENSE rom! Whoo! Alright, so take your build.prop out, and put it somewhere else. (Or rename it) so you don't over-write the first one. What you need to do now, is find the lines that look like this:

Code:
ro.com.google.clientidbase.yt=android-virgin-us
ro.com.google.clientidbase.am=android-virgin-us
ro.com.google.clientidbase.gmm=android-htc
ro.com.google.clientidbase.ms=android-virgin-us

service.htc.bt.local_name=HTC EVO V
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin_Mobile
gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Virgin_mobile
gsm.operator.alpha=Virgin_Mobile
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311490
gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311490
gsm.operator.numeric=311490
and make them look like the examples. Yours will say Sprint, Evo 3D, and a different number.

The reason I had you pull the two build.props was so you can compare ;)

Next, the framework-res.apk! Out of your Sprint ROM, find the framework-res.apk. Use 7zip, and navigate to the /res/xml folder, and then you'll see the apns.xml file. Replace the Sprint one. You can even delete it if you want. So you put your Virgin one from the ROM (Power rom like I did) and put it into the Sprint framework-res.apk file.

Now, make sure you don't decompile the APK, or extract it. Just right click > browse archive or whatever the option may say for you.

Once you do the over-writing, you SHOULD be set!

As always, the disclaimer here is this:
I am not responsible for damage done to your device. Please, do this at your own risk. Should any problems arise, I will do my best to help you. Again, though, do this at your own risk.

Enjoy, and happy flashing kids.

Thank you! only problem I am having is that when I try to delete or replace the apns.xml in the sprint rom, it gives me and error "not implemented."

Just drag and drop the VM apns.xml into the directory. Don't try and delete it. That's how I do it, anyway.

Just drag and drop the VM apns.xml into the directory. Don't try and delete it. That's how I do it, anyway.

hmm...getting the same error. not sure what I am doing differently, other than using windows. :p lol
Edit: I fixed it, just pulled out the framework-res.apk out again and the new one seemed to have let me change the apns.xml. weird.

By the way, the build.prop bit isn't necessary, it works fine without the build.prop. Thought I might add this works for Sense 4/4.1 too, as I have been using this fix for ages haha

Code:
ro.com.google.clientidbase.yt=android-virgin-us
ro.com.google.clientidbase.am=android-virgin-us
ro.com.google.clientidbase.gmm=android-htc
ro.com.google.clientidbase.ms=android-virgin-us

service.htc.bt.local_name=HTC EVO V
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin_Mobile
gsm.sim.operator.alpha=Virgin_mobile
gsm.operator.alpha=Virgin_Mobile
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311490
gsm.sim.operator.numeric=311490
gsm.operator.numeric=311490

Where do you find these lines at?

I tried the fix in this forum and it didn't help. What else could I try?

MIUI ICS MMS doesn't work with this fix, they modified a LOT of code, even though it is Sense based, still doesn't work. Try pushing this Mms.apk and delete any others you may have in /system/app. Note- this will only work for receiving.

Back
Top Bottom