• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to root T-Mobile 6.0 update

I'm about to leave work, I wont have time to upload when I get home. by the power of grey skull if I do. how can I upload it here?

If some one post a backup does that let me flash that on my phone as a rom? (I'm just being lazy not wanting to hop on my pc.)

If some one post a backup does that let me flash that on my phone as a rom? (I'm just being lazy not wanting to hop on my pc.)

You will have to get on your computer to have a custom recovery either installed or booted on your device to gain root. And you will have to have a custom recovery to use a backup if one is posted.

Last edited:
Sorry about that other comment I'm just a dumbass after a read it a few times I noticed that this is just root.... Not the 6.0 ROM plus I'm on metro so no update yet...

Hey man just a system and boot partition backup are good, DO NOT make a data backup and upload that.... for obvious reasons.

Ok so restoring backup wont work or even builing a rom still leads to soft brick something is keeping system from booting havent figured it out but finally got official ota by flashing tmobile 10j kdz set up my device set time to 11:30 pm rebooted got notification for 10l update once that finished up wait to phone fully boots up change time back to 11:30 pm and you should get mm update works on metro devices

I think chainfires newest systemless root is the best option as of right now. Also, our fastboot is extremely stripped. Im testing some things for a friend who did some work on the g4 to extend fastboot functionality using fastboot boot.

Ok so restoring backup wont work or even builing a rom still leads to soft brick something is keeping system from booting havent figured it out but finally got official ota by flashing tmobile 10j kdz set up my device set time to 11:30 pm rebooted got notification for 10l update once that finished up wait to phone fully boots up change time back to 11:30 pm and you should get mm update works on metro devices

Damn, thought you would've had a rom ready lol. I was holding out customizing my phone until a rom is made.

Yeah me too but mm is being a pain plus havent had time to thoroughly look due to work but as soon as i have time ill see what i can do

This is because the bootloader was updated along with the update. If Metro PCS users are going to use a flashable zip when one is created they will have to "fastboot oem unlock" then "fast boot flash aboot.img" first before they flash the zip or it will not boot. But I am not telling anyone to do this as I do not want people blaming me for a bricked device is things go wrong.

I think chainfires newest systemless root is the best option as of right now. Also, our fastboot is extremely stripped. Im testing some things for a friend who did some work on the g4 to extend fastboot functionality using fastboot boot.

I am not sure why you say this as I used fastboot boot recovery.img" when I first rooted my device as I did not want to flash a custom recovery just yet. All fastboot commands I have tried have worked while in fastboot mode for me. But it may be because I did "fastboot oem unlock" on my device also. So if you just have the "Enable OEM unlock" switch in developer optioms turned on but have not fastboot oem unlocked your bootloader this maybe why you are experiencing issues with fastboot. Also the SuperSU.zip does systemless root for all 6.0+ roms. The below is from the updater-binaries.

"
# SYSTEMLESS - Do a system-less install? (true/false, 6.0+ only)
# PATCHBOOTIMAGE - Automatically patch boot image? (true/false,
# SYSTEMLESS only)"

Look in the build.prop. it check for device id at the end. Remove that line and it works fine...

Not sure why you say that cause it is the bootloader that is not letting it boot.

Last edited:
To give people a definitive answer here, this method works 100%. I have had no issues with any root apps or anything with SuperSU. Just follow the directions. The only issues I had were with windows drivers causing the cmd on Step 5 to not respond, but I ended up finding a fix for that. Also, I chose the optional "fastboot oem unlock" for mine just in case anyone is wondering.

Update: I've run into two issues.

1. SuperSU can't seem to lock cpu at the frequency I want without it changing back to normal. I think it's having trouble keeping a granted permission to it.

2. The root doesn't seem to work with the Pry-Fi app.

Update: I've run into two issues.

1. SuperSU can't seem to lock cpu at the frequency I want without it changing back to normal. I think it's having trouble keeping a granted permission to it.

2. The root doesn't seem to work with the Pry-Fi app.

Your first issue is probably cause by the kernel and has bothing ti do with roor permissions. If the kernel does not support the frequency you are trying to use this can happen. After all it ia the stick kernel and not a custon kernel.

Your second issue I am not aure about as imthe Pry-Fi app is made by Chaindire and the SuperSu.zip is made by Chainfire. He is very good about updating all his apos whenever something about how root is handled is changed. But I noticed his last updated for that app was in Feb 2, 2014. So he may need to update the app. I advice to read through the thread on XDA to see if you can find any advice on the issue.

Not sure if i have different version of fastboot but isnt..

Step7) fastboot flash recovery.img

supposed to be

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Not sure if i have different version of fastboot but isnt..

Step7) fastboot flash recovery.img

supposed to be

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

You are correct, a complete mistake on my part and I will fix it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Can you make a video? I installed minimal ABD and Fastboot program for windows. When I open up and type "adb devices" it's a no go. Any ideals?

Back
Top Bottom