• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How To Root your ZTE Grand X Max+ & All Things Root Guide

Masterchief87

Android Expert
Hello Grand X Max+ owners. I decided to post this since there does not seem to be an existing root guide for the Grand X Max+. Here, I will tell you step by step how to root your device the right way so that you don't end up with a shiny new paperweight.
EDIT: EVEN THOUGH KINGROOT HAS WORKED PERFECTLY FOR THIS PHONE FOR QUITE SOME TIME, PEOPLE ARE NOW REPORTING THAT IT HAS BRICKED THEIR PHONES. THIS COULD BE USER ERROR OR THIS COULD BE A SIDE EFFECT OF KINGROOT USING A DIFFERENT EXPLOIT THAN BEFORE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

[1] Download and install Kingroot.
You can get Kingroot from http://www.kingroot.net

Download and Install ZTE Zmax TWRP app by Hroark13. Be sure to hit the like button and thank him for his work. I promise you it's free!
You can get ZTE Zmax TWRP from http://goo.gl/WwJzYW

Download the SuperSU recovery zip from http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
If you are running lollipop 5.1 then make sure the option to enable OEM unlocking in developer options is checked.

[2] Open and run Kingroot in order to get temp root (temp root means that as soon as you reboot the phone you will lose root). It may take several times to work. If Kingroot fails you need to open your app drawer and long press on the Kingroot icon and drag it up to the top of the screen where it says "app info" and then clear cache and data in that order then power off the phone and then turn it back on by holding the power button. Then run Kingroot again. Do this as many times as you have to in order to get temp root.

[3] Open ZTE Zmax TWRP app and press the button that says "Install Recovery". If you get a prompt asking for root access then allow it. You should then get a notification saying " Success". This means that you have now replaced your stock recovery with TWRP custom recovery.

[4] Now uninstall Kingroot and reboot into TWRP. You can reboot into TWRP by bringing up the power menu and selecting the reboot option, then confirm that you want to reboot, then hold the volume up button until you enter TWRP recovery.

[5] Once you have booted into TWRP, make a nandroid (TWRP backup) of system, boot, and data. This step is important.

[6] While you are still in TWRP recovery, go back to the main screen and select the "Install" option. Navigate to the Download folder on your internal storage and select UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and swipe to install, then reboot system. Once you reboot you will have permanent root.(The exact version of SuperSU that you have may vary. At the time I wrote this post it was v2.46 but has since been updated to v2.76)

[7] Reboot back into Android and install Terminal Emulator from the Play Store and open it. You need to do 2 commands to remove the system write protection and gain full root capabilities. First, type
and grant root permissions to terminal emulator. Next type
reboot disemmcwp
and once the phone boots back up you will have full root without the need for switcher zips, apps, or scripts. All credit for this method of disabling the write protection goes to hroark13.

If I have helped you please hit the like button.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If I took the OTA from ZTE, is there curently a way to root lollipop, or if not, can I flash the original KitKat img, root, then flash your rooted 5.1 update? I know it used to be impossible to downgrade.

No and no. If you already took the official update you can't root or downgrade to KitKat.
EDIT:This is no longer true lollipop can also be rooted now

Last edited:
Is there anyway around the locked out /system ? I cannot install any boot animations always comes back failed

Never mind, I found the other post with the zips..

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thank you for all the work that has been done to get this phone rooted i have been following this sence i got my phone and have rooted me and my wifes phone. So thank you this was fun everything worked great

Hello.....I was wondering is there a way to move apps to sd on the z987?

I have the space on external sd but system apps and some downloaded apps remain on the internal. I'm rooted....and some of the apps in the market don't preform as they suppose to. Please help if you can!

Thank you for the guide also....! !

Thank you for this nice guide, wish I had known NOT to update to 5.1 until I had root access.
Stuck with a bloated 5.1 for now.
:(

Index of ROMs, Recoveries, & Resources

-Recoveries-

TWRP 2.8.6.0(Built by hroark13 for the ZMAX but also works on the Grand X Max+)
http://androidforums.com/threads/zte-zmax-twrp-new-version-2-8-6-0.918537/

-Roms-

Full Stock KitKat ROM & Recovery
http://androidforums.com/threads/z987-stock-rom-recovery.936309/

Rooted 5.1 Lollipop Update
http://androidforums.com/threads/lollipop-5-1-pre-rooted-update.937791/
can you find a zte grand xmax+ cyanogenmod ik hoark13 made 1 for xmax and you told me to edit build.prop but I can't edit it I'm currently on the lolipop ROM u gave us BTW I'll take cyanogenmod pacmanrom and aokp ROM for xmax thank you

Ok, I've looked every where for the recovery switches you had on here. I need them to switch back to the original boot. If you could please help, would be appreciated. Thanks

I used king and downloaded a emulator and rooted my ZTE z987 cricket 4.4.4. With no as card or booting mode didn't have to reset phone either.... thanks masterchief. And hoark................

So here is what I want to do. I have a rooted Z987 already. I did these steps a while ago. Now I am getting a continuous annoying update. I want to update but I get transferred to the twrp. I want to unroot my phone, uninstall twrp, install said new update, reroot phone. Is this possible? I know how to unroot with kingroot, but I really really really don't want to brick my phone lol. Kinda need it. One more thing, Has anyone had a problem with editing the system files? I try to change it to r/w but never sticks. For those wondering, trying to change build.prop in order to fix the "no tethering until I pay" option.

So here is what I want to do. I have a rooted Z987 already. I did these steps a while ago. Now I am getting a continuous annoying update. I want to update but I get transferred to the twrp. I want to unroot my phone, uninstall twrp, install said new update, reroot phone. Is this possible? I know how to unroot with kingroot, but I really really really don't want to brick my phone lol. Kinda need it. One more thing, Has anyone had a problem with editing the system files? I try to change it to r/w but never sticks. For those wondering, trying to change build.prop in order to fix the "no tethering until I pay" option.

What version of Android are you on?

Back
Top Bottom