• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How To Root your ZTE Grand X Max+ & All Things Root Guide

I tried this on mine, could not reboot into TWRP.... [4] Now uninstall Kingroot and reboot into TWRP. You can reboot into TWRP by bringing up the power menu and selecting the reboot option, then confirm that you want to reboot, then hold the volume up button until you enter TWRP recovery.
The reboot just sits at the ZTE logo. And yes I did uninstall Kingroot as instructed.
Am I missing something?
Does it need more time at the ZTE logo screen?
I've recovered and back to 5.1 stock for now....

I tried this on mine, could not reboot into TWRP.... [4] Now uninstall Kingroot and reboot into TWRP. You can reboot into TWRP by bringing up the power menu and selecting the reboot option, then confirm that you want to reboot, then hold the volume up button until you enter TWRP recovery.
The reboot just sits at the ZTE logo. And yes I did uninstall Kingroot as instructed.
Am I missing something?
Does it need more time at the ZTE logo screen?
I've recovered and back to 5.1 stock for now....

Hmm, try just shutting the phone off and holding power and volume up for about 6 seconds. I've read that twrp can act up a little on the grand x max + because of the fact that you're actually using a recovery that was made for the zmax. How long did you wait while the phone sat at the zte splash screen? I don't think it should sit at the zte splash screen for more than 10 or 20 seconds before booting into twrp recovery.

I waited a few minutes. So I powered off and all was fine with the reboot. I DID however fired up KingRoot and deleted my bloatware. I've rebooted a few times and nothing has come back. Running fine the only thing I really want to remove is the ZTE launcher, which would not let me do. But I use Nova launcher anyways.

[6] While you are still in TWRP recovery, go back to the main screen and select the "Install" option. Navigate to the Download folder on your internal storage and select UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and swipe to install, then reboot system. Once you reboot you will have permanent root.(The exact version of SuperSU that you have may vary. At the time I wrote this post it was v2.46 but has since been updated to v2.76)

I get to this step, it starts to unpack the zip, but fails saying that the package is bad?
Not sure how to get around this.

I think my problem is that Kingroot is only giving me partial access.
King root NEVER said 100%, yet root checker shows success?
I can access the root file system with Root Explorer.
Soon as I reboot I loose everything.
Anyone have a hammer?

[6] While you are still in TWRP recovery, go back to the main screen and select the "Install" option. Navigate to the Download folder on your internal storage and select UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and swipe to install, then reboot system. Once you reboot you will have permanent root.(The exact version of SuperSU that you have may vary. At the time I wrote this post it was v2.46 but has since been updated to v2.76)

I get to this step, it starts to unpack the zip, but fails saying that the package is bad?
Not sure how to get around this.
Are you sure you installed twrp recovery? It sounds like you're trying to flash supersu with the stock recovery.

I am using the V2.8.6.0 of the ZTE ZMAX TWRP
When I go to install recovery, I am asked to grant Root Permissions, I say yes, then I get the "success" message.
When I click the REBOOT RECOVERY, it does nothing.
If I manually force a reboot into recovery, it is the STOCK Android recovery NOT TWRP.
Maybe I should try the TWRP off the play store?
Soon as I reboot I lose whatever root I had.

I am using the V2.8.6.0 of the ZTE ZMAX TWRP
When I go to install recovery, I am asked to grant Root Permissions, I say yes, then I get the "success" message.
When I click the REBOOT RECOVERY, it does nothing.
If I manually force a reboot into recovery, it is the STOCK Android recovery NOT TWRP.
Maybe I should try the TWRP off the play store?
Soon as I reboot I lose whatever root I had.
No don't use twrp manager. That only installs official builds and won't have the correct twrp for your device.

If kingroot isn't getting all the way to 100% that could be the cause of your problem. You also need to make sure OEM unlocking is turned on in developer options because it that isn't turned on that might cause issues as well.

OEM unlocked is Checked.
I will just have to keep trying Kingroot. Have tried both PC and Android versions.
I am on Android 5.1 build 2.3.15
Just POs me. I have done this on other phones, it is not rocket science.
Thank you for your help.

Kingroot progresses to 100% for me, on 5.01...
I then have access to remove bloatware, such as Hangouts, Touch wiz, and such.
No permissions to remove system files while still in the Kingroot app.
That is the best that I achieved.

I just want to remove some bloatware, Maybe get at the FM chip.
I also need to modify the FramworkRes file so I can add some color to my notification bar, I hate all white icons.

No and no. If you already took the official update you can't root or downgrade to KitKat.
EDIT:This is no longer true lollipop can also be rooted now

Hey guys I manage to rooted on the 5.1 but it needs a supported twrp .. KingRoot did rooted my phone on the computer but won't reboot in recovery cause there is no twrp support for the 5.1 , I know its a old phone but still...

Are there any Roms for this phone? I just got this phone a few days ago and finally obtained permanent root. I'm on 5.1 lollipop. Also I keep getting the new update poppup and wish I could just permanently tell it no for now. Its annoying.

Are there any Roms for this phone? I just got this phone a few days ago and finally obtained permanent root. I'm on 5.1 lollipop. Also I keep getting the new update poppup and wish I could just permanently tell it no for now. Its annoying.
Use the ZMAX Roms. According to Masterchief the Roms do in fact work with the Max+. Just have to edit the build.prop from the ROM itself. Also the Camera does not work. Other than that it's a mystery whether or not the Phone works, That is honestly my concern.

Hey guys I manage to rooted on the 5.1 but it needs a supported twrp .. KingRoot did rooted my phone on the computer but won't reboot in recovery cause there is no twrp support for the 5.1 , I know its a old phone but still...
I honestly don't know what to tell you.. I recently installed the TWRP Chief sent, That maybe is because I was on KitKat.. I can only tell you the ZMAX TWRP is your only hope.

Yeah I have the twrp installed. I had to in order to have full access. I was just hoping someone made or are making Roms. I love this phone and want to play with it more.

Yeah I have the twrp installed. I had to in order to have full access. I was just hoping someone made or are making Roms. I love this phone and want to play with it more.

We do have in fact the Custom ROMs but they were mainly meant for the ZMAX. Maybe we can port it to the Max+ and we could be a little more safe with flashing the ported ROM if it ever gets made.

EDIT: And maybe we'll have the camera too lol

Back
Top Bottom