• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Restore your Galaxy Light to stock MJA

Are we (metropcs) your next customers? Hard to tip someone for their work when your worried about a metro phone that only accepts tmo sim.The metro radio to odin would be nice.

i said taht before it was known that the phone was available on metro.

i made the mistake of leaving sprint to switch to tmobile and had teh light, i wont be leaving sprint again. i pay 70 bucks a month for 2 lines with everything i need. i dont have teh device and i dont have any of the partitions so not much i can do about making tars for it.

I did this after an unsuccessful root, but my carrier is Metro PCS and this is a T-Mobile recovery method. Now my phone is not working on either network!

I wish I would have known that this method does not work for Metro PCS locked phones before I did it. Now I don't know what to do. I didn't create a backup like I should have.

Very strange problem--ROM and Network Lock are two completely separated thing. But I encounter the same thing. I flash my MetroPCS SGH-T399N with Light Wave:

[ROM][Galaxy Light T399][ANG6] LightWave V3[… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Everything booted up fine, but unlock code request came up. I restored my Stock Rooted Backup, but network is still locked. I ended up paying $18 for code on Ebay, it unlocked the network--back to normal.

Unlock Code at T MetroPCS T Mobile Samsung Galaxy Light SGH T399 SGH T399N | eBay

Hey, Shabby. Thanks for all the work on this! I have what I hope isn't an obvious question. I'm new to all of this and my SGH-T399 is stuck in a boot loop. I can get to the download screen, and I've followed your instructions carefully. Odin gives me a "FAIL", so I'm wondering, should the device be rooted before following your instructions on restoring to stock ROM?

Hey! Thanks for this! I can get all the way to pushing the start button, but then it gets stuck on "Initialization"

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..

I tried different USB ports. I tried it several times, but it never moves on from initialization. I've let it sit for 20+ minutes

Any ideas how I could get it started?

Thanks!

How to return your Samsung Galaxy Light to stock

These instructions should fix your semi-bricked or broken phone as long as you can get it into download mode. Make sure you have drivers already installed on your Windows computer before starting. Please read them all the way through and then begin. pay no mind to minor changes in the images, they are taken from the last big odin guide i did. i have configured the odin settings file so all you need to do is click the pda button.

You will need:
SGH-T399-Stock-MJA.zip

Set up the software:
Extract the zip
Run Odin3

Put your phone in Download Mode:
Power your device off
Make sure the usb cable is not connected (it tends to mess up due to charging animation)
Press and hold volume down, home and power
You will see a warning screen
Press volume up to continue to download mode
Connect USB cable :)

Odin should now look like this:
B4zZo.png

Dont mess with the settings, i have it configured via the ini file :)
Click on PDA and load T399UVUAMJ4_T399TMBAMJ4_T399UVUAMJ4_HOME.tar.md5

You should now look like this
xGNny.png

Now you should be able to click Start.

When you click start you should see something similar to this:
3llmM.png

Your phone should auto-reboot when finished and should be working 100%!

Troubleshooting:

Odin isn't detecting the phone?!

It seems frozen and hasn't made any progress for 15 minutes

I proformed many procedures on my phone in the last two weeks; To no avail. This afternoon I ran into the post; How to restore your Galaxy light to stock MJA. I was just setting up an old PC of mine. Looking for the tools I would need to root my Galaxy Avant. I seen this link and decided to give the Galaxy Light one more run. It worked. My phone works again. I have to take the time to thank someone for this. It would have been a shame to toss the phone. It has been a good strong phone for the last three years. Anyway, Thanks. Thanks for your time, and thanks for your work. Maybe it was the new PC I don't know. If anyone is having the issues I had. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to switch machines, but I definitely say follow that link. It will at least give you a new starting point for whatever it is your trying to do.

McK67;

am I not waiting long enough? I keep getting "
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T399UVUAMJ4_T399TMBAMJ4_T399UVUAMJ4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS.."

I've clicked start at this point and I get "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)"

am I not waiting long enough? I keep getting "
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T399UVUAMJ4_T399TMBAMJ4_T399UVUAMJ4_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS.."

I've clicked start at this point and I get "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)"
It usually shouldn't take too long, but it's not succeeding or failing so you're doing something wrong.

Hi all, first off thank you for all your hard work, this looks like the fix I am needing. T-Mobile released a fix for the Stagefright bug, so I updated my phone, its a few days later now, and my Light will only allow me to access the software download menu and refuses to boot past the "Galaxy Light" title startup screen. I don't really want to pay for a new phone right now, I'm a novice, but I am willing to try anything to get my Light back up.

Anyway, when I click on the link in the first post, I cannot find any of the downloads for the .zip or the .tar files on ShabbyPenguin.com, all that I see are warning messages. Am I doing something wrong? or does anyone know of a alternate download location for the SGH-T399-Stock-MJA.zip file that ShabbyPenguin made?
Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
Hi all, first off thank you for all your hard work, this looks like the fix I am needing. T-Mobile released a fix for the Stagefright bug, so I updated my phone, its a few days later now, and my Light will only allow me to access the software download menu and refuses to boot past the "Galaxy Light" title startup screen. I don't really want to pay for a new phone right now, I'm a novice, but I am willing to try anything to get my Light back up.

Anyway, when I click on the link in the first post, I cannot find any of the downloads for the .zip or the .tar files on ShabbyPenguin.com, all that I see are warning messages. Am I doing something wrong? or does anyone know of a alternate download location for the SGH-T399-Stock-MJA.zip file that ShabbyPenguin made?
Thanks!! :)
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong, the link just has a billion of those nonsensical malicious adds attached to it that say your phone has viruses, you're being tracked by the NSA, etc. And need to download an app or follow some instructions. Needless to say you shouldn't follow any of them.

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

idk if i did this right. halp :/

I can't find the T399UVUAMJ4_T399TMBAMJ4_T399UVUAMJ4_HOME.tar.md5 file..

All downloads are here http://www.shabbypenguin.com/files/Galaxy_Light_(SGH-T399)/Stock/

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Removed!!

idk if i did this right. halp :/

What did you try to flash?

I'm having the same issue as ndcruz, I conduct the hard reset using the volume down button and Odin hangs on "Initialization"
I have also tried several different USB cables, ports and two other computers with no success.
If I do the reset using the volume up button, Odin gets to:
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004>
<ID:0/004> There is no PIT partition.
Again, several cables, ports, update drivers, no success. Running Windows 10

So I rooted my phone around a year and a half ago but removed it soon after I installed it. I only just realized I can't update to the newest version (only reason I noticed is because of Pokemon Go lol). When ever I go to the Odin screen it immediately goes to a downloading screen. Is that normal?

So I rooted my phone around a year and a half ago but removed it soon after I installed it. I only just realized I can't update to the newest version (only reason I noticed is because of Pokemon Go lol). When ever I go to the Odin screen it immediately goes to a downloading screen. Is that normal?
Looks like 5/6 Cables I was trying were only charging cables not data cables. JEEZ lol.

Back
Top Bottom