• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide][Root] How to root Connect LGMS840VV5 - with working links

Xieon

May 27, 2012
I just recently purchased a new phone from Metro, because my motion screen cracked. I was tight on money and should have spent the extra 40 to have a 4.1 phone but money is tight.

After getting it I realized that it came with LGMS840VV5 as the firmware, and that it is "unrootable". Needless to say I was pretty pissed, because without root the phone is useless imo.

After a few hours of searching dead links and different sources I figured out the steps needed to get root on this phone, I'll update the guide with the links and everything.

******GUIDE*********

All the newly purchased phones that have the MS840VV5 firmware are really MS840VV3. They even put one sticker over the other. That's the reason people have so many problems, the extra step is the factory reset after flash firmware v3.

Step 1: Download the MS840VV3 firmware to your computer. Here is one source: MS840VV4

Step 2: Download these drivers, and follow the instructions on this page to flash the VV3 firmware. (You have to use VV3 for this to work)
How to get into emergency mode (Download Mode):
1. Phone must be off and unplugged
2. Hold Volume Up+Down and plug in USB cable.

To get out of e-mode, pull battery and unplug USB cable (do not do this while flashing firmware!)

Before you start flashing firmware, please make sure you charge your battery for at least 30 minutes/over 50%

These are the instructions to convert the cab to a KDZ and flashing it:
  1. Install phone drivers
  2. Install msxml.msi
  3. Disable antivirus software
  4. Open UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe
  5. Wait for the program to open
  6. Look for "Encrypt cab file to kdz file"
  7. Click the folder icon
  8. Choose the location of the cab you downloaded for the firmware
  9. Encrypt cab -> kdz Program will freeze up. DO NOT EXIT until program says Done!!! Otherwise it won't finish converting.
  10. Close program
  11. Open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  12. "Type" choose CDMA
  13. Choose in "Phonemode": Emergency
  14. Click the folder icon and choose the kdz file that UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe just made.
  15. Click Launch software update and enjoy!

Step 3
: Do a factory reboot on your phone. Turn on holding power button and - volume key.

Step 4: Install the LG Spectrum Drivers from THIS LINK

Step 5: Download the one click root from one of the links in this thread

Step 6: Make sure phone is in USB Debug Mode & USB Setting is to internet, then run the one click root.

Step 7:
Enjoy a rooted LG Connect with MS840VV3 firmware.

Note: Yes, you have to install 2 sets of drivers. The first set is the actual LG Connect Driver which is used to help flash the VV3 firmware to the phone. The second set of drivers is used in the Spectrum Root Exploit. Yes - even though you are using Verizon drivers, and Spectrum drivers, it will not mess up your phone/brick it.

It's also a good idea to save all of these files somewhere. If you brick your phone you can simply redo these steps to end up back at Stock VV3 root.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones