• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Had an interesting experience with the TP last night...

Martimus

One bite at a time...
Last night I got the pleasure of having to reload my TP... all because of a rather temperamental free app. My TP has been running Alpha 3.5 since it came out and was running quite well. In order to give it more of an ICS feel, I had installed an app from the market called ICS Launcher

https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwyLDEsIm1vYmkuU3luZGljYXRlQXBwcy5JQ1N2MiJd

Not exactly the best ICS look-alike but the price was right and it ran on the TP. Well yesterday the author came out with a significant update to the app. From the notes it looks like there was a significant re-write and the addition of a number of ICS-like features. Well the notes also stated that, once installed, if the app FC's a lot to uninstall and then re-install.

I installed the update and the app started FC'ing... and FC'ing... and FC'ing. It got itself into an endless loop of FC's. Despite this I was able to reboot the TP. No difference! As soon as it rebooted it started FC'ing. I would not let me use the stock launcher, or get into the market app (or settings) to uninstall the app.

The only thing I was able to do was reboot. So I rebooted... into recovery. Since it was well after midnight and I was really tired my first thought was to restore my most recent backup. So I did. Rebooted the TP to make sure it resolved the FC loop. It did. Rebooted it again into recovery. Re-applied the Alpha 3.5 update. Rebooted and then re-installed all of my app updates. I updated everything except ICS Launcher. I then uninstalled ICS Launcher... and reinstalled ICS Launcher. Now all is better.

I think I'll be glad when CM 9 is released as that was more work than I had intended to do in the middle of the night.

I've been in FC-Hell before and it's no fun. When you get a FC every 2 seconds, like you said, you can't do anything.

I will NOT be trying your ICS launcher. :D

Yea... that wasn't exactly an example of it's "finest hour"!

All in all it's actually not a bad launcher... given that the app is free and I'm thinking the author may still be in school. For me it's just something to mess with and it looks more like ICS and less like stock CM7.

Last night I got the pleasure of having to reload my TP... all because of a rather temperamental free app. My TP has been running Alpha 3.5 since it came out and was running quite well. In order to give it more of an ICS feel, I had installed an app from the market called ICS Launcher

https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwyLDEsIm1vYmkuU3luZGljYXRlQXBwcy5JQ1N2MiJd

Not exactly the best ICS look-alike but the price was right and it ran on the TP. Well yesterday the author came out with a significant update to the app. From the notes it looks like there was a significant re-write and the addition of a number of ICS-like features. Well the notes also stated that, once installed, if the app FC's a lot to uninstall and then re-install.

I installed the update and the app started FC'ing... and FC'ing... and FC'ing. It got itself into an endless loop of FC's. Despite this I was able to reboot the TP. No difference! As soon as it rebooted it started FC'ing. I would not let me use the stock launcher, or get into the market app (or settings) to uninstall the app.

The only thing I was able to do was reboot. So I rebooted... into recovery. Since it was well after midnight and I was really tired my first thought was to restore my most recent backup. So I did. Rebooted the TP to make sure it resolved the FC loop. It did. Rebooted it again into recovery. Re-applied the Alpha 3.5 update. Rebooted and then re-installed all of my app updates. I updated everything except ICS Launcher. I then uninstalled ICS Launcher... and reinstalled ICS Launcher. Now all is better.

I think I'll be glad when CM 9 is released as that was more work than I had intended to do in the middle of the night.

was my entirely experience with 3.5 12 hours after it was applied.

Back
Top Bottom