• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Half-Rooted after B13

walpow

I've got a Warp Sequent that I updated to Jelly Bean some time ago. I rooted it with whatever the current method was last spring - frankly, I don't remember, and I also don't remember if I had to reroot after the JB update and, if so, how. Sorry. I'm 65. You start forgetting things.

My wife's Sequent came with JB installed. I rooted it using Framaroot and the Gandalf exploit. Recently I discovered her phone wasn't rooted anymore and that it had some new apps. I discovered it had updated to B13. (I guess she told the update to go ahead.) I rerooted with Framaroot and all is well.

Today the B13 update came for my phone. I told it to go ahead. The update ran fine, but I was unrooted and had the three new apps. I forgot I had OTA Rootkeeper and figured I'd reroot using Framaroot. It said it was successful.

Now I'm half-rooted. Titanium Backup says it can't get root access. OTA Rootkeeper reports I'm rooted but that root permission has not been granted. Superuser reports that the latest binary is 3.1.1 and that I'm on 3.0.3.2. When I tell it to update, it downloads, but then fails at gaining root access. I've screwed around with a bunch of stuff (details upon request) and remain in limbo.

I suspect I may have multiple copies of Superuser (if that's even possible), because originally when I looked at it in Google Play, it didn't give me the option to uninstall, and now it does.

When all else failed, I tried Framaroot with SuperSU, figuring maybe I could skirt the whole Superuser thing. When I start it, it says it needs to update the binary, but the installation fails.

Thoughts? I'm willing to wipe the phone if necessary - I've got good backups - but don't want to go through the hassle if someone can come up with a solution.

In my opinion, it would be easiest to install cwm recovery and flash a rooted B13 ROM. There are a few to choose from on the first page of this forum. Let us know if you need help ;)

I can install CWM without being rooted? Can you point me to the best way? The ones I found that looked promising seemed kind of old ... like maybe pre-JB. Thanks.

Hi, SuperR, and thanks for your help. The CWM installer isn't working. It appears to work and says CWM is installed. But when I boot the phone to recovery, it's still stock recovery. I tried it three times. Ideas?

By the way, it was kind of cool having Linux on my Windows machine, if only for a little while.

Hi, SuperR, and thanks for your help. The CWM installer isn't working. It appears to work and says CWM is installed. But when I boot the phone to recovery, it's still stock recovery. I tried it three times. Ideas?

By the way, it was kind of cool having Linux on my Windows machine, if only for a little while.

Try a different usb port. For some reason, fastboot (the application that allows flashing recovery) only seems to like certain usb ports. If none of the ports on your current pc work, you can try the same thing on a different computer. If that doesn't work, I have some other ideas for you while you have the live cd booted up.

edit: FYI, 1 of 6 usb ports work with fastboot on one of my pc's, 3 of 3 work on my laptop, and 2 of 4 work on my other pc.

Tried six ports on my desktop (from three different groups) and two on my laptop (from separate groups). With one desktop group, it just freezes; I've noticed I've not been able to do any PC-Android stuff with it. With all other ports on both computers, it appears to work, but it's only a few seconds between when it says it's flashing CWM and when it says it's done. In each case, standard recovery remains.

What next, O Guru?

Tried six ports on my desktop (from three different groups) and two on my laptop (from separate groups). With one desktop group, it just freezes; I've noticed I've not been able to do any PC-Android stuff with it. With all other ports on both computers, it appears to work, but it's only a few seconds between when it says it's flashing CWM and when it says it's done. In each case, standard recovery remains.

What next, O Guru?

How about using rom manager to install cwm?

It downloaded CWM, then "An error occurred while flashing your recovery." Because it's not rooted, maybe?

What next, O Guru?

Ok, download the rom you want to flash and put it on your sdcard. With the live cd running and your phone connected via usb with usb debugging enabled, open up a terminal by clicking on the black icon at the bottom left of the screen. Type the following and press enter after each line waiting until it finishes before proceeding to the next line:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot cwm.img
This should boot your phone into cwm recovery. It does not install it but it boots to the image on the live cd. From there you can make a backup, wipe data, and flash your rooted rom.

You, my friend, are a freakin' hero. Booting CWM off the image on the disk did it. I had to try several times ... it finally worked when I typed the second command as soon as I got the prompt back from the first. I flashed the stock rooted B13 ROM, booted back up, and I was back in business. I installed CWM via ROM Manager.

Again, thanks for your invaluable help.

All the best,
Nathan

Back
Top Bottom