• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Handcent SMS Custom v3

This is fantastic and lots of hard work - thank you! Two questions though:

1) How can you tell if you have the most current version when you download the apk from Mediafire? Example: I downloaded yesterday (6/5) is that the most current one

2) I have been using a swype theme apk and it always had my smiley face key in the bottom right corner when texting and not for email - where did it go when I updated to the 3.0 version without swype?

Thanks so much - DONATED :)

Upvote 0
Arush,
Hey, I love your work on the skins. I also love the program. I have one huge problem with it, that I was wondering if you could help me with. I'm running the Dark Edge Theme over a steam ROM and all the text is white by default. Since the text box for Handcent is also white, my text does not show up! Is there any way I could make a small donation to get a skin where the text box was dark gray or where the text color for the text input field could be changed to black?

Upvote 0
This is fantastic and lots of hard work - thank you! Two questions though:

1) How can you tell if you have the most current version when you download the apk from Mediafire? Example: I downloaded yesterday (6/5) is that the most current one

2) I have been using a swype theme apk and it always had my smiley face key in the bottom right corner when texting and not for email - where did it go when I updated to the 3.0 version without swype?

Thanks so much - DONATED :)

First of all, thanks.

1) The one in the thread is always the latest. I will always put what version it is in the thread, and you can verify this by going into Handcent, menu, more, and about to see which version you have.

2) Go into Handcent settings, application settings, and then tap action key-type. Then tap the smile button, and the smile key will be in the corner instead of enter just in Handcent.

Btw, I didn't get a donation from you. Just saying. Haha.

Reactions: cmerrtt
Upvote 0
Cool program, but you really need a graphic designer on your team. Compared to the default android sms app or the standard iphone app, this is behind. Basic things like typeface spacing and icon design need a second look. Keep it up!

I'm not the one that designed this app. I took what was an ugly app, and made it look less ugly. I am in no way the designer of this app, I know exactly how I would design the app, all I simply did was change it up from what it already was.

Upvote 0
Are there going to be any more updates for this?

Well, really the only reason I started customizing this is because I wanted it to look closer to the stock vanilla messaging app. Now that I'm rooted, there's no need to use Handcent anymore for me.

That being said, I can update it if you really want me to, it's just not necessary for me to do it for myself anymore.

But it's all about you guys! :D

Upvote 0
Well, really the only reason I started customizing this is because I wanted it to look closer to the stock vanilla messaging app. Now that I'm rooted, there's no need to use Handcent anymore for me.

That being said, I can update it if you really want me to, it's just not necessary for me to do it for myself anymore.

I'd really appreciate it myself. :) I switched to a newer rom, and was disappointed with the rather average speed of the stock handcent app. :D
But it's your call. ;)

Upvote 0

could you do a swype themed vanilla mms? I tried and failed :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones