• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Happy Thanksgiving 2022

well so my Thanksgiving plans are slightly ruined. my mom has a 4 month old multipoo puppy that apparently ate some cloth. the cloth unwound in the stomach and got stuck in the stomach but also got entangled in the intestine. she had to be rushed to the vet emergency and she had an operation. the operation was successful until 2 days afterwards. the intestine became septic and the poor puppy had to have another operation to remove the bad portion of her intestine. right now its day 2 after her second operation and seems to be recovering well. the next 2 days will be critical.

soooooo we were planning on going to my cousins house where i was going to be cooking the rib roast. now my mom wants to stay home in case something happens to her dog. so now i will be cooking my rib roast at home. it will be just me and my mom and maybe my cousin might come over later on. i think hopefully we can see the puppy on Thanksgiving and i probably will be bringing food for the doctors and staff at the pet hospital.

tomorrow, i'm hoping i can get an apple pie at Marie Callendar's as i love their pies.

Upvote 0
well so my Thanksgiving plans are slightly ruined. my mom has a 4 month old multipoo puppy that apparently ate some cloth. the cloth unwound in the stomach and got stuck in the stomach but also got entangled in the intestine. she had to be rushed to the vet emergency and she had an operation. the operation was successful until 2 days afterwards. the intestine became septic and the poor puppy had to have another operation to remove the bad portion of her intestine. right now its day 2 after her second operation and seems to be recovering well. the next 2 days will be critical.

soooooo we were planning on going to my cousins house where i was going to be cooking the rib roast. now my mom wants to stay home in case something happens to her dog. so now i will be cooking my rib roast at home. it will be just me and my mom and maybe my cousin might come over later on. i think hopefully we can see the puppy on Thanksgiving and i probably will be bringing food for the doctors and staff at the pet hospital.

tomorrow, i'm hoping i can get an apple pie at Marie Callendar's as i love their pies.
Hope all goes well with the puppy

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I am probably going to spend it in some rest area or hopefully find a spot at truck stop. As far as the meal if I am at a truck stop that is serving a thanksgiving meal I will probably do that. However if I am at a rest area or a truck stop with no restaurant, then I will probably warm something up in the hot lunch box, stew, maybe make spaghetti and meatballs.

Upvote 0
Thanksgiving this year falls on my youngest daughter's birthday. With that in mind, we'll be having a party and a dinner rolled into one. I'm baking scratch sweet potato pies today. They have become a traditional Thanksgiving treat for us and far better than any birthday cake. I'll be smoking the ham tomorrow AM and then my obligations will be complete. Then it will be time to relax and enjoy the grandkids.

Upvote 0
I was forced to do the turkey and goodies last year because my wife was recovering from a recent knee surgery. The turkey was easy enough with meat probes to ensure it was done and not too done. I cheated and did store bought gravy. I make a great flour gravy but far too unexperienced in turkey gravy to subject my company to my experiment. :) Dressing is a can't miss deal though I never bake it in the bird. Good luck! Keep in mind that your meal will be well received no matter the quality. I proved that last Thanksgiving. :)

I have a humorous dressing story to share. When I was dating my wife I was invited to her mother's Thanksgiving dinner. It was a traditional dinner but she made a point to elaborate about her oyster dressing that she made just for herself. She also made a traditional dressing for the rest of the family. I thought her oyster dressing tasted extremely nasty but I bragged it up and made sure I had a second serving and a bit more of the terrible dish. Little did I know that I would end up marrying her daughter and have to eat that crap every year after that... made especially for me. She went to her grave thinking I loved that dressing. Oddly enough, after a couple of decades, I actually acquired a taste for that nasty stuff. :)

Upvote 0
Milo and his friends are staying at Milo's little house, Milo's mother is prepping up everything tonight, Milo is thankful for his outstanding family and friends, who has supported him, has so much on cloud nine right now, that Milo cannot feel sorrow right about now :) Milo cannot stop talking about himself as a third person apparently :)

Upvote 0
An 8lb turkey breast, store bought mac and cheese, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie and chocolate satin pie. There will be homemade mashed potatoes (with Bob Evans as a back up, new recipe lol), pigs in a blanket and deviled eggs.

There will only be 4 of us, so, and the kitchen isn't big enough for a ton of chaos, so we do what we must.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Upvote 0
Got the Turkey in the oven by 8:30, Baked the pies last weekend, the rest is just details. This will be the first Holiday without my mother-in-law and the kids are doing the in-law thing -- I would never force a double dinner on them -- so it will just be 5 of us for dinner, but that's okay. I welcome a bit of calmness these days.

Upvote 0
ok so the roast is in the oven. i am going to slow cook it at 275 F for a few hours until it reaches 115 degrees. i decided to encrust the roast with some herbs and spices (rosemary, thyme, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper). then i will light the coals and sear the roast using a honey bmustard glaze until it reaches an internal temp of 120 degrees F.....so it should finish some where between rare and medium rare.

the rest of the menu will be sauteed broccolini with shallots and garlic, mashed potato gratin, and glazed carrots, and some grilled zucchini and corn.

we are also gonna pop open a good Bordeaux and a nice white wine.

and to finish off we are going to have Costco pumpkin pie.

i hope all of your Thanksgiving will be a feast as mine will be later today.

Upvote 0
20221124_155955.jpg

20221124_155756.jpg

food coma anyone???????

Upvote 0
A pic while I was preparing the stuffing:

2BA8336E-D317-45C6-B1DD-5B37A3657493.jpeg

We should have added more of the red bell pepper. ;)

All in all the meal was a success. Unfortunately I overcooked the bird, so the white meat was a little dry, but gravy helped with that, of course.
And in the big scheme of things, I would far prefer to overcook the bird than to undercook it!

I hope everyone had a pleasant day … and got enough to eat. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones