• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has the HTC EVO 4G LTE met you expectations? Thinking of returning? Discuss

Coming from the iPhone 4S, I was first planning to keep both active for 30 days to see if I would keep the EVO or not, but yesterday I called Sprint and put my iPhone account on hold. I had added a line instead of upgraded so I could play with both at the same time and decide which to keep.

I can still use the iPhone on wifi so everything works but calls and maybe sms.

Upvote 0
Coming from the iPhone 4S, I was first planning to keep both active for 30 days to see if I would keep the EVO or not, but yesterday I called Sprint and put my iPhone account on hold. I had added a line instead of upgraded so I could play with both at the same time and decide which to keep.

I can still use the iPhone on wifi so everything works but calls and maybe sms.

I sold my 4s yesterday. Missed having android definitely keeping the evo.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
I can't get over the beautiful screen and how thin it is. I never thought I'd be that dude who harps over the thinness of a phone. I've always appreciated a little heft. But, this phone is so sleek and smooth that I can't help but gush over it.

I was at a Sprint store yesterday when I overheard two little girls playing with Siri on the iPhone 4S on display. When they were done, I walked over and placed my LTEvo next to the 4S. I literally laughed out loud. I'm not taking anything away from the iPhone...for the right person, it's an excellent device. But, there's no way in hell I'd choose that lil' fella over this beast.

I have a co-worker who is an Apple fanboy. I showed him my LTE and the look on his face was priceless. I won't go into everything...but, the kicker was when I played The Dark Knight and handed him the phone. His eyes bugged out and he just stared at it for about 30 seconds in silence. Afterwards, he just muttered: "I reeeeealy like this phone." Since he's with AT&T, I forwarded him info about the One X and said: "You're welcome."

Reactions: simcha and 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Probably the one thing that is swaying me is space. When I had the of evo and they allowed apps to be saved to the sd card, I had a lot of room. Now we have 9 gigs. Yes I have a 64 gig card, but you cannot move the apps to the sd. I know that's an ics thing, but still. I already sold my iPhone 4s, and I love having android again.

Upvote 0
Definitely worth keeping. There is a slight learning curve to this android compared to the 4 s or even the galaxy 2, but love this phone completely. The screen is glorious, phone is fast, gps lock is rediculously fast and on point, texting is fluid, and even the text to speech feature is accurate as well. I love this new version of HTC sense. It's not as graphic intensive nor overbearing. the upcoming galaxy s 3 will have the same specs. The only difference I think is s voice which is supposed to be their version of siri

Upvote 0
Probably the one thing that is swaying me is space. When I had the of evo and they allowed apps to be saved to the sd card, I had a lot of room. Now we have 9 gigs. Yes I have a 64 gig card, but you cannot move the apps to the sd. I know that's an ics thing, but still. I already sold my iPhone 4s, and I love having android again.

are you talking about something different other than what seems obvious?? I have moved my apps to my sd card no problem...

Upvote 0
I have the Asus Transformer Prime, and this thing is far more responsive and faster than it...

My family moved up from the EVO 4G and my 27 yo step son said, "THIS is what I was expecting when on got the original EVO. THIS is what I was expecting a smart phone to be."

Definitely keeping.

Upvote 0
I was going to return mine (told my wife about it, she was happy to have a the extra cash for our upcoming beach trip) until I read this thread (basically working on a mod to remap the softkeys and remove the menu bar). I made my decision to get rid of the LTEvo when I realized that I have spent nearly every minute on this phone trying to restore the basic functionality that exists on my OG Evo. What's the point in upgrading if I have to make so many compromises just to get back basic functionality?

Now, if they have that button-remapping/bar-removing fix within my 14day return period, then I will happily keep my LTEvo. If not, well, as it is the LTEvo can't beat my OG Evo's efficiency (or screen size when the menu bar appears) by any decent margin. So IMO there's no point in keeping it when there's no substantial improvement (the increases in hardware are significantly offset by the decreases in functionality).

Here's the gist. And as it stands,
- LTEvo has a screen that is higher quality, but not larger (when the menu bar is displayed).
- The LTEvo has the same internal memory as my OG Evo with the partitioned SD card.
- The LTEvo has slightly more upgradeable memory, but my OG Evo has WiMax to make use of the memory (I do not, and will not have LTE in my area for some time).
- The LTEvo has more processor power and to run what I want to run, but my OG has more softkeys and shortcuts and quick settings in the notification bar to significantly speed up access to what I want to run.
- The LTEvo has a better kickstand, but my OG has better micro USB placement.
- The LTEvo is much thinner, but my OG is much shorter (and again has the same size screen).
- The LTEvo has a larger battery, but my OG's is replaceable.
Frankly, as it is the stock LTEvo can't beat my rooted OG Evo by enough to justify the purchase.

If the dev at XDA can make that fix work, then the LTEvo will officially have a larger screen AND it will be significantly more efficient. If I can have the larger screen and increased speed that I was promised, then I'll keep it :)

I'm sure many will disagree, but I personally don't want to have the newest phone because it's the newest. I want to have it because it is simply the best and most efficient/effective.

Upvote 0
I was going to return mine (told my wife about it, she was happy to have a the extra cash for our upcoming beach trip) until I read this thread (basically working on a mod to remap the softkeys and remove the menu bar). I made my decision to get rid of the LTEvo when I realized that I have spent nearly every minute on this phone trying to restore the basic functionality that exists on my OG Evo. What's the point in upgrading if I have to make so many compromises just to get back basic functionality?

Now, if they have that button-remapping/bar-removing fix within my 14day return period, then I will happily keep my LTEvo. If not, well, as it is the LTEvo can't beat my OG Evo's efficiency (or screen size when the menu bar appears) by any decent margin. So IMO there's no point in keeping it when there's no substantial improvement (the increases in hardware are significantly offset by the decreases in functionality).

- LTEvo has a screen that is higher quality, but not larger (when the menu bar is displayed).
- The LTEvo has the same internal memory as my OG Evo with the partitioned SD card.
- The LTEvo has slightly more upgradeable memory, but my OG Evo has WiMax to make use of the memory (I do not, and will not have LTE in my area for some time).
- The LTEvo has more processor power and to run what I want to run, but my OG has more softkeys and shortcuts and quick settings in the notification bar to significantly speed up access to what I want to run.
- The LTEvo is much thinner, but my OG is much shorter (and again has the same size screen).
Frankly, as it is the stock LTEvo can't beat my rooted OG Evo by enough to justify the purchase.

If the dev at XDA can make that fix work, then the LTEvo will officially have a larger screen AND it will be significantly more efficient. If I can have the larger screen and increased speed that I was promised, then I'll keep it :)

I'm sure many will disagree, but I personally don't want to have the newest phone because it's the newest. I want to have it because it is simply the best and most efficient/effective.

I'm sure that will be taken care of by our wonderful XDA devs sooner then later.

plus CM and other devs will surely make this beast even "beastier" when they will come out with custom roms. I too was rooted on CM7 on my OGEVO and miss it quite a lot. just need a lil patience. until then I'll enjoy the screen quality and other positives on my LTEVO

but I'm sure you can give it back and reclaim one when everything custom is available but I for one will not let this baby out of my sight anytime soon!

Reactions: PattiCakeUS
Upvote 0

I have all my apps reinstalled on this phone that were on my og evo, and I'm not even half full (I got the "low memory" warning constantly). That's without using the "sd card" 9 gigs. You can have too many apps, you know.

Upvote 0

is this right? The screen is bigger and it has more than double the internal memory?! I know you miss your voice search button, but the market must have a solution for you.

Upvote 0
Z8Gd0.jpg

That was my old phone and the pen I needed just to hit my home and back keys.

lol, hell yes i'm keeping this Evo.

Upvote 0
Well after thinking about it. I have made a choice.

Things I loved is the big screen, the ability to take a 64 gig card, android and of course these forums.

The kickstand is great, but I never used it on the og and im ok not using it here.

Things I don't like. I know it will come, but the ability to move the apps to the actual sd card...not phone storage. I know this is more of an ICS thing, but that is just me.

The non removable battery...I thought I would be ok with this. But I don't want to have to carry a battery pack, when I got 2 kids and a wife and trying to take their pic and worrying about a battery pack. We will be going to Disney World and I would rather just swap the battery.

Build quality maybe awesome on the LTEvo...but mine is in an Otterbox Defender. So that is hid behind the case. Also, the awesome screen has the built in Otterbox screen on top of it.

I honestly thought about this. I still love the forums and will still be a part of it, but I have already called Sprint. I am returning the phone and going with the Samsung S3. Even though it may have some of the same specs, some of the features it offers is more to my liking. S voice, the knowing when you take a pic and the phone knows who it is you are taking a pic of and then shares it with them and the fact it knows if you fall asleep. Gimmicks....possible...but again it's what I like.

Even though I am more of a sense fan, there are things I can do to make it my own. That is what is great about Android, regardless of the maker of the phone. Don't like, change it. I still dislike Crapple for that they have and tried to do, but again we have to do for us and what we like. What you like I may not and vice versa.

Some people may call this crazy...some may say you gotta choose the right phone.

And now to return the otterbox Defender back to best buy. LOL.

Upvote 0

1st off, great post! Well written, well thought out, you make excellent points and i think it will be sooooo helpful for people on the fence about upgrading.

If you completed a 2 year contract & it were free to upgrade, that would be completely different, but if you have a perfectly working (rooted : ) OG EVO, why fork out $199.00 just to have the latest and greatest? The differences (once the newness wears off) aren't THAT significant, and not because the New EVO is lacking anything, but because Og EVO is just THAT great, she was wayyyy ahead of her time....

On the other hand, for newcomers, THEN that is where the New Evo really shines & i think offers the BEST Android experience on a phone available today.

To me OG EVO was a groundbreaking phone that helped to quickly elevate the Android Experience to what it is today A LOT faster than had that phone not been made. Android was slowly and steadily coming to the masses, but when EVO came on the scene EVERYONE sat up and took notice. She really raised the bar, all this NEW EVO does is "stay on par with the bar", as awesome as it is, its not all that revolutionary (to me : )

And also, New Evo is great phone, l'est we forget she took away our cute Android Robot emoticons and replaced them with butt-ugly yellow smiles, and ICS took my dang menu button...lol

Critical Critic: Nice Post, nice name also : )

BTC

Upvote 0
1st off, great post! Well written, well thought out, you make excellent points and i think it will be sooooo helpful for people on the fence about upgrading.

If you completed a 2 year contract & it were free to upgrade, that would be completely different, but if you have a perfectly working (rooted : ) OG EVO, why fork out $199.00 just to have the latest and greatest? The differences (once the newness wears off) aren't THAT significant, and not because the New EVO is lacking anything, but because Og EVO is just THAT great, she was wayyyy ahead of her time....

On the other hand, for newcomers, THEN that is where the New Evo really shines & i think offers the BEST Android experience on a phone available today.

To me OG EVO was a groundbreaking phone that helped to quickly elevate the Android Experience to what it is today A LOT faster than had that phone not been made. Android was slowly and steadily coming to the masses, but when EVO came on the scene EVERYONE sat up and took notice. She really raised the bar, all this NEW EVO does is "stay on par with the bar", as awesome as it is, its not all that revolutionary (to me : )

And also, New Evo is great phone, l'est we forget she took away our cute Android Robot emoticons and replaced them with butt-ugly yellow smiles, and ICS took my dang menu button...lol

Critical Critic: Nice Post, nice name also : )

BTC

I my Evo works fine, but I can't get that many apps or I'm constantly reminded that I'm running out of space....delete this, delete that! I'm upgrading! Just have to wait until Sprint corporate stores get them!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones