• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Has the HTC EVO 4G LTE met you expectations? Thinking of returning? Discuss

I my Evo works fine, but I can't get that many apps or I'm constantly reminded that I'm running out of space....delete this, delete that! I'm uupgradingpgrading! Just have to wait until Sprint corporate stores get them!

Ya, that surely can get old quick.... But a lot of ppl rooted Evo and just partioned sd card, so space was a non issue.... But it is completely understandable if you don't wanna, for me i spent a year doing nothibg but customizing Evo on a daily basis, got so burned out, u couldn't pay me to root a phone these days.... Its either close to perfect out of box or back she goes....lol

BTC

Upvote 0
is this right? The screen is bigger and it has more than double the internal memory?! I know you miss your voice search button, but the market must have a solution for you.
When the black menu bar appears, it does not have a larger screen.

My OG Evo is rooted, and I have my SD card partitioned to act as an additional 2GB of internal memory (this is not the same as the apps2SD feature introduced in Froyo [or was is Eclair?], and I could go much more than 2GB of course). So there are no memory issues on my OG for saving apps.

Sure, Vlingo can act as Voice Search, and Wave Launcher can act as a substitute for the search button, but this goes back to my original point of why should I have to compromise so much just t reintroduce basic functionality to this phone?

1st off, great post! Well written, well thought out, you make excellent points and i think it will be sooooo helpful for people on the fence about upgrading.
To me OG EVO... really raised the bar, all this NEW EVO does is "stay on par with the bar", as awesome as it is, its not all that revolutionary (to me : )

Critical Critic: Nice Post, nice name also : )

BTC
Thanks and thanks!

I don't think my observations won me any friends. And honestly, I did forget to mention that the LTEvo simply stomps my OG when comes to the camera. I have nothing to balance against that. I really really really like the new camera, and I could see myself using it often.

If I had picked the LTEvo for the $50-100 BB deal that I have seen people mention, I wouldn't consider trading it back in. But is the upgraded camera, NFC feature, increased sound quality, and the higher quality screen worth $200? Not to me. Not at the cost of basic functionality being removed. So I need that basic function put back into my phone.

What I'm really afraid of is that Android/Google will realize their huge F-up with adding the menu bar and removing the long presses, and next year's Evo will go back to the old layout and force HTC to have to spend more time rigging future upgrades to this gimped softkey layout. Oh well, in all respects only time will tell.

Upvote 0
When the black menu bar appears, it does not have a larger screen.

My OG Evo is rooted, and I have my SD card partitioned to act as an additional 2GB of internal memory (this is not the same as the apps2SD feature introduced in Froyo [or was is Eclair?], and I could go much more than 2GB of course). So there are no memory issues on my OG for saving apps.

Sure, Vlingo can act as Voice Search, and Wave Launcher can act as a substitute for the search button, but this goes back to my original point of why should I have to compromise so much just t reintroduce basic functionality to this phone?

Thanks and thanks!

I don't think my observations won me any friends. And honestly, I did forget to mention that the LTEvo simply stomps my OG when comes to the camera. I have nothing to balance against that. I really really really like the new camera, and I could see myself using it often.

If I had picked the LTEvo for the $50-100 BB deal that I have seen people mention, I wouldn't consider trading it back in. But is the upgraded camera, NFC feature, increased sound quality, and the higher quality screen worth $200? Not to me. Not at the cost of basic functionality being removed. So I need that basic function put back into my phone.

What I'm really afraid of is that Android/Google will realize their huge F-up with adding the menu bar and removing the long presses, and next year's Evo will go back to the old layout and force HTC to have to spend more time rigging future upgrades to this gimped softkey layout. Oh well, in all respects only time will tell.

I've read the devs are working on mods for remapping the capacitive buttons. You'll be able to Press and hold for one function or just tap for another. So in all we could have 6 capacitive buttons. :)

Upvote 0
I'm not happy about the button change at all, but I recall what someone said in September 2010 -

I hate my evo because I finally have it exactly how I want it. It operates perfectly and I have pretty much finished customizing it! And customizing it was half the fun :eek:
Now I can't move on to anything else for a new project, because EVERYTHING else is a downgrade :(

I hate my Evo because customizing IS endless.... soooo much to customize! (And im yet to root!)

...if you haven't rooted, you haven't even started :eek:

;) :) :D

What? Like I could actually resist?

PS - meanwhile, QuickDesk and a long home press for anything especially needed, I guess. Or maybe SwipePad.

Upvote 0
I was going to return mine (told my wife about it, she was happy to have a the extra cash for our upcoming beach trip) until I read this thread (basically working on a mod to remap the softkeys and remove the menu bar). I made my decision to get rid of the LTEvo when I realized that I have spent nearly every minute on this phone trying to restore the basic functionality that exists on my OG Evo. What's the point in upgrading if I have to make so many compromises just to get back basic functionality?

Now, if they have that button-remapping/bar-removing fix within my 14day return period, then I will happily keep my LTEvo. If not, well, as it is the LTEvo can't beat my OG Evo's efficiency (or screen size when the menu bar appears) by any decent margin. So IMO there's no point in keeping it when there's no substantial improvement (the increases in hardware are significantly offset by the decreases in functionality).

Here's the gist. And as it stands,
- LTEvo has a screen that is higher quality, but not larger (when the menu bar is displayed).
- The LTEvo has the same internal memory as my OG Evo with the partitioned SD card.
- The LTEvo has slightly more upgradeable memory, but my OG Evo has WiMax to make use of the memory (I do not, and will not have LTE in my area for some time).
- The LTEvo has more processor power and to run what I want to run, but my OG has more softkeys and shortcuts and quick settings in the notification bar to significantly speed up access to what I want to run.
- The LTEvo has a better kickstand, but my OG has better micro USB placement.
- The LTEvo is much thinner, but my OG is much shorter (and again has the same size screen).
- The LTEvo has a larger battery, but my OG's is replaceable.
Frankly, as it is the stock LTEvo can't beat my rooted OG Evo by enough to justify the purchase.

If the dev at XDA can make that fix work, then the LTEvo will officially have a larger screen AND it will be significantly more efficient. If I can have the larger screen and increased speed that I was promised, then I'll keep it :)

I'm sure many will disagree, but I personally don't want to have the newest phone because it's the newest. I want to have it because it is simply the best and most efficient/effective.

Thanks for this post. I'm currently on the fence about getting one, and though I'm sure the pro's will normally overshadow the cons, threads like these help identify the cons that people typically don't read/think about. Though some may find them small or easy to adjust to, they're still valid cons and a very much appreciated opinion.

Upvote 0
Ya, that surely can get old quick.... But a lot of ppl rooted Evo and just partioned sd card, so space was a non issue.... But it is completely understandable if you don't wanna, for me i spent a year doing nothibg but customizing Evo on a daily basis, got so burned out, u couldn't pay me to root a phone these days.... Its either close to perfect out of box or back she goes....lol

BTC

No it's not that, I've been rooted day one! My SD card is already filled with music, video and pics and a few apps I squeeze in...It's only 8GB that came with the phone but the card is full!

Upvote 0
The physical sd card isn't dealt with the same way as on normal phones when you have an extended storage phone like this one.

While this is new to us on Sprint it's an old problem on many Verizon phones, and the filesystem on ICS may not be what many expect.

The mods are possible but inaccessible to most without developer support.

Upvote 0
I'm not happy about the button change at all, but I recall what someone said in September 2010 -

;) :) :D

What? Like I could actually resist?

PS - meanwhile, QuickDesk and a long home press for anything especially needed, I guess. Or maybe SwipePad.
HAHA That's great! Did you really remember that off the top of your head? Remind me to hire you if I ever go into politics. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with you... but it would be better than letting the other guy have you ;)

I expect to root this phone at some point if I keep it. But I'm still disappointed that I'm forced to root it in order to regain basic functionality that was available in the stock OG Evo.

Upvote 0
HAHA That's great! Did you really remember that off the top of your head? Remind me to hire you if I ever go into politics. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with you... but it would be better than letting the other guy have you ;)

I expect to root this phone at some point if I keep it. But I'm still disappointed that I'm forced to root it in order to regain basic functionality that was available in the stock OG Evo.

I actually have good memories of the many chats I had with you and other cats in the Evo forum, and the why I hate my Evo thread was a classic.

I do think that you might be a little unkind here, so let's revisit -

I think that those of us that got in early on the Evo rooted it for 3 primary reasons - out of the box the battery sucked out loud, it was laden with bloatware, and it wasn't smooth (remember the original frame rate limiting kernel?). Four reasons if you count the Sense haters (but I tend to class those as the combo of the first three).

EL TEvo has none of those issues. Frankly, if you handed me one back at the Evo launch, I might have remained a lurker, never joined, and would have adapted to the buttons. I adapted to the Evo buttons coming from a Moment.

So my point is maybe that change is constant and if you must root to get what you need here, you are already starting out with a far, far superior platform than the Evo ever was.

Google is making many of us crazy with their new UI directives. They started specifying fewer buttons a few months after the Nexus release, and speaking of that, it could be worse, we could have gotten stuck with soft buttons only like the Nexus. HTC could have saved a buck on that, but they didn't.

I fully understand the concept of just working without root. WifelyMon's Evo Shift is that way. It's smooth, it's quick and the battery lasts without babysitting a thing.

I don't recall when you rooted your Evo. I did mine early on, when it took 78 steps (the actual, not made up number) to do the whole job, including getting the engineering bootloader to get s-off.

The only thing that I am staring down for root while I wait to get mine is s-off.

And I am hating the button change with a passion. I think that I am definitely going with SwipePad as one of my first apps to mitigate that pain.

But Android is all about choice, and life is too short to sweat it if your mileage varies on this phone or my opinions stated here. ;) :)

Upvote 0
I actually have good memories of the many chats I had with you and other cats in the Evo forum, and the why I hate my Evo thread was a classic.
They were good times. And I too love the sarcastic threads

I admit that I'm being highly critical of the device. Unkind? Maybe a little, but I feel like my complaints are well grounded. Besides, I seem to be the only person in this forum being critical of the device... someone needs to point out the flaws :p Again, I know I'm not winning any friends with these arguments. But it's not a perfect device and I feel that it would have been much closer to perfect if the layout had not changed.

I think that those of us that got in early on the Evo rooted it for 3 primary reasons - out of the box the battery sucked out loud, it was laden with bloatware, and it wasn't smooth (remember the original frame rate limiting kernel?). Four reasons if you count the Sense haters (but I tend to class those as the combo of the first three).
Wow, I had completely forgotten about the frame rate restriction! That was annoying. But yeah, I agree.

EL TEvo has none of those issues. Frankly, if you handed me one back at the Evo launch, I might have remained a lurker, never joined, and would have adapted to the buttons. I adapted to the Evo buttons coming from a Moment.
Had I never had an Android before this, I would have just adapted to the buttons. The problem is that I know how much better they were before. There were 4 buttons with essentially 6 functions (yeah, there was the option to pull up the keyboard, but that wasn't very practical). Now we have three buttons (good) but only three functions (cutting our options by 50%, and cutting productivity but significantly more given the things they chose to remove). I simply want my 3 buttons to have the 6 functions I previously had.

So my point is maybe that change is constant and if you must root to get what you need here, you are already starting out with a far, far superior platform than the Evo ever was.
That's the thing... I agree that it's superior, but not $200 worth of superior (as it is). It may be starting in a place that is far superior to where the stock OG Evo ever was, but not a rooted OG (with respect to the partitioning of the SD card and the customizable rosie that brings the two platforms closer to equals). If we had the full screen available to us, and the long-press shortcuts, then I would say that the LTEvo (1)meets the basic functionality of the rooted OG, if not (2)significantly improving all of it, and also (3)adding additional wonderful features. But as it stands, IMO the LTEvo actually comes in below the rooted OG Evo with respect to #1, which discounts the greatness of #2 and #3. Once the fix comes along and I can root the LTEvo to bring #1 up to par, then it will be $200 worth of superior IMO. But is it too much to ask that my 3rd generation stock Evo be all-around better than its 2 year old rooted predecessor? Maybe if you take into account certain advantages of root (such as free wifi hotspot, and notification-bar quick settings), but I'm not.

Google is making many of us crazy with their new UI directives. They started specifying fewer buttons a few months after the Nexus release, and speaking of that, it could be worse, we could have gotten stuck with soft buttons only like the Nexus. HTC could have saved a buck on that, but they didn't.
True, and if there is enough consumer backlash, Google may backpedal on this layout. I hope they do, or at least I hope to see a future Android update adding the long-press features back in.

I fully understand the concept of just working without root. WifelyMon's Evo Shift is that way. It's smooth, it's quick and the battery lasts without babysitting a thing.
I intend to root, but I would prefer not to root at first and just run with the phone for a while until the dev community has expanded. But now I find myself waiting for the dev community just to get back basic functionality.

I don't recall when you rooted your Evo. I did mine early on, when it took 78 steps (the actual, not made up number) to do the whole job, including getting the engineering bootloader to get s-off.
Wow. Even though I was waiting for the Evo since the day it was announced, I didn't pick it up until a couple months after release. As for rooting... I rooted somewhere between that nasty 78 step process and before the simple unrevoked stuff. I vaguely remember needing to copy some code from the DIY, but I doubt it was anywhere near 78 steps worth of material.

The only thing that I am staring down for root while I wait to get mine is s-off.

And I am hating the button change with a passion. I think that I am definitely going with SwipePad as one of my first apps to mitigate that pain.
I used SwipePad for a long time (LOVED it!) until Amazon released Wave Launcher one day for free. They are both good, but since I only needed it for 3 shortcuts I found Wave Launcher to better suit my needs.

But Android is all about choice, and life is too short to sweat it if your mileage varies on this phone or my opinions stated here. ;) :)
Very true.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
As you have said, at a lower price point you would find it acceptable.

Ultimately, that's taking a subjective measure and repeating the other points as if objective.

By getting the Evo a few months after its release you missed the worst of it.

You're comparing a rooted Evo with the missing launch frustrations against an unrooted, bleeding edge, just launched LTEvo and really setting your own price on lost button functions.

Less than being unpopular for being critical, you're simply repeating subjective measures.

Return the phone and see what happens to the price and in root development in a few months. Then you can compare oranges to oranges at a more palatable price for you. :)

Meanwhile, it's new, it has quirks and bugs - business as usual for every major launch of every top end phone. That's not news.

The brave one here was crow11ad who, after being a staunch supporter, simply announced that he had to return his and move on over a single feature critical to him.

The buttons are the buttons, and they are what they are.

And the screen, camera, ram, storage, ability to fit in with the Sprint Network Vision upgrade and operating system upgrades are what they are. ;) :)

Along with the bugs and changes.

Upvote 0
As you have said, at a lower price point you would find it acceptable.

Ultimately, that's taking a subjective measure and repeating the other points as if objective.

By getting the Evo a few months after its release you missed the worst of it.

You're comparing a rooted Evo with the missing launch frustrations against an unrooted, bleeding edge, just launched LTEvo and really setting your own price on lost button functions.

Less than being unpopular for being critical, you're simply repeating subjective measures.

Return the phone and see what happens to the price and in root development in a few months. Then you can compare oranges to oranges at a more palatable price for you. :)

Meanwhile, it's new, it has quirks and bugs - business as usual for every major launch of every top end phone. That's not news.

The brave one here was crow11ad who, after being a staunch supporter, simply announced that he had to return his and move on over a single feature critical to him.

The buttons are the buttons, and they are what they are.

And the screen, camera, ram, storage, ability to fit in with the Sprint Network Vision upgrade and operating system upgrades are what they are. ;) :)

Along with the bugs and changes.

Well I took one for the team. I also had a problem with trying to use gps and music at the same time. It wouldn't do it. So I returned to a store and they don't have them yet and was told that is the first one they had in the store.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Yes but it offloads apps to the internal user storage (just over 9 GB) rather than the physical sd card, not enough for some of us.

maybe i am missing something...

but i would prefer that it moves apps to the internal memory.

that way, i can swap out memory SD cards when ever i want.. and my apps that are moved still work just fine.

doesnt it make more sense that way?

Upvote 0

I think this is pretty spot on. I was stoked to get the EVO when it first came out, but there were some serious limitations, many of them seemingly needless like the framerate limiter. Rooting was the only way to turn the EVO from a cool phone to a truly great phone. And, frankly, I can't imagine any phone being so good out of the box that I wouldn't want to tinker with it. After all, you can't make a phone that pleases everyone in every way.

And one big advantage of the LTEvo over the OG is that while the screen may be the same size when the on-screen menu pops up, there is no contest between the two when you factor in pixel density, resolution, and daytime viewing. I loved the OG but the screen looked like a blank slate when viewed in direct sunlight. It was the main reason I switched to the Nexus S 4G (which turned out to be a loser of a phone in pretty much every other way). For that alone the LTEvo is worth the upgrade to me. I also know I will be rooting it not to get "basic" functionality, but to get the functionality that matters most to me, the same I would do with any new phone.

Upvote 0
maybe i am missing something...

but i would prefer that it moves apps to the internal memory.

that way, i can swap out memory SD cards when ever i want.. and my apps that are moved still work just fine.

doesnt it make more sense that way?

I think so, but also think a more flexibility would be cool, too.

~~~~~~~~~~

Button news :)

For root users, floating soft buttons.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smart.swkey

It'll take up real estate (screen has it), will duplicate hard buttons (can't have everything), requires root (all of the cool stuff does), not guaranteed to work on the new phone (but it's free to try for rooters).

:)

Android. There's always something! :D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think this is pretty spot on. I was stoked to get the EVO when it first came out, but there were some serious limitations, many of them seemingly needless like the framerate limiter. Rooting was the only way to turn the EVO from a cool phone to a truly great phone. And, frankly, I can't imagine any phone being so good out of the box that I wouldn't want to tinker with it. After all, you can't make a phone that pleases everyone in every way.

And one big advantage of the LTEvo over the OG is that while the screen may be the same size when the on-screen menu pops up, there is no contest between the two when you factor in pixel density, resolution, and daytime viewing. I loved the OG but the screen looked like a blank slate when viewed in direct sunlight. It was the main reason I switched to the Nexus S 4G (which turned out to be a loser of a phone in pretty much every other way). For that alone the LTEvo is worth the upgrade to me. I also know I will be rooting it not to get "basic" functionality, but to get the functionality that matters most to me, the same I would do with any new phone.

I don't quite understand why people make such a big deal about the on screen menu button... Imo its pretty useful.... And the argument that the screens are the same size I don't get either.. Nomatter whay ltevos screen is bigger.. Menu bar or not.... Just because that part of the screen is taken by the bar doesn't justify that argument... Atleast for me anyway.... When viewing pictures... Video.. Webpagws its huge.... Either way you look at it the screen is bigger...

Upvote 0
I think there's a beauty in the Windows and OS X standard gui for the user. You always know what the File and Edit selections provide.

I think that the 4 original htc buttons had that same beauty. Screens were clean, you got a gray menu popup only when asked for, search was in context of the program running.

To conform to ICS change was required, but I far prefer the old htc way to the new Google way. I think that it was cleaner and more intuitive.

I think CriticalCritic is saying that - in any case, that's the complaint. But change is constant.

Upvote 0
Yes but it offloads apps to the internal user storage (just over 9 GB) rather than the physical sd card, not enough for some of us.

Sorry if I sound dense here, but just to confirm....

So on the new LTEVO, the only way to move apps the the external physical SD card is to root ?

Considering that I am regularly running out of storage on my current OG EVO, that would be a problem. Especially since there is typically no way to remove Bloatwear (such as Facebook) without rooting (which I admit I am to chicken to do).

Please tell me that Google will fix that....

Upvote 0
How did you do this exactly?

I was incorrect. thought where I moved them was to Sd card. I read it wrong. so my question then is do we experience any performance issues with having apps stored on internal storage, even though we have 9 gee bees of space? my reason for moving apps to sd on 3vo, OGEvo, was to speed things up by way of freeing up ram etc. does the amount of space correlate to speed of OS?? if so then I'll await the roms that will open up true apps to sd. that being said, I'll never exhaust even remotely close to that much space with apps.

Upvote 0
I think people tend to forget, that the phone is already partitioned with its internal memory storage. X amount of the memory is used for storage, another amount is used for the phone itself for performance. I highly doubt that anyone it will actually be able to slow the phone down by putting so many apps on to it

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones