• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help find keyboard with CAPITAL letters only

I've not come across such a feature. But the question is, why do you need it?

Because I hate keyboards with low case letters, I like them to look like on physical keyboard, because otherwise the letters get mixed when they change appearance.

And I could ask you the same:
What's the point to change characters back and forward from uppercase to lowercase constantly on the keyboard?

Last edited:
I've never seen an Android keyboard with that option, show uppercase only.

Can you suggest keyboard for Android, which you can set to display uppercase latter only, like here on iPhone:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/09/18/how-to-keyboard-uppercase-iphone-ipad-ios-9/

I tried Gboard, Swiftkey, Cheetah Keyboard, but they don't seem to have this sort of feature.

Or if they do have, please advice how to find it.

I think the only reason why iPhone has it, is because the original iOS keyboard always showed uppercase, regardless. And Apple probably thought some iPhone users might still prefer it that way?

An all uppercase keyboard might be useful to aid the visually impaired possibly? Myself I prefer to see the letters I'm actually typing.

Searching the Play Store for "keyboard uppercase," I found some that were pictured in uppercase, but I couldn't tell from their descriptions if that's actually their normal appearance, or shifted.

This retro-style Typewriter keyboard should display as uppercase. However, it's a plugin for another keyboard, Cheetah, and I have a vague memory of hearing bad stuff about Cheetah...something...I don't know if they're related.

Every Android keyboard can do that @poutintsev.

It's a keyboard function not Apple exclusive.
I've not found such an option on any of my keyboards. The OP doesn't want to type caps but for the keys to display them regardless of whether you are typing lower or upper case. It's the opposite of what most of us want (I want to see what the key will do with both a short and a long press - not providing the latter I find even more annoying on apple keyboards than having to look at the shift key to know whether it will the upper or lower).

BUT THAT'S CAPS LOCK ;)

The OP wants the keys to show upper case even when typing lower case (as iPhones do).

I found a few others in the Play Store, but as with the one MoodyBlues found they are all Cheetah themes, and I'd never install any Cheetah Mobile app myself.

Because I hate keyboards with low case letters, I like them to look like on physical keyboard, because otherwise the letters get mixed when they change appearance.

And I could ask you the same:
What's the point to change characters back and forward from uppercase to lowercase constantly on the keyboard?

Instal GOKEYBOARD and set up as picture below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190815-120310_GO Keyboard.jpg
    Screenshot_20190815-120310_GO Keyboard.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 716
I've never seen an Android keyboard with that option, show uppercase only.

I think the only reason why iPhone has it, is because the original iOS keyboard always showed uppercase, regardless. And Apple probably thought some iPhone users might still prefer it that way?

An all uppercase keyboard might be useful to aid the visually impaired possibly? Myself I prefer to see the letters I'm actually typing.

Physical keyboard always shows capital letters all the time.
How do you type on it?

Last edited:
Okay, please tell me then, how to do this on G-board?
You can't. That suggestion was for a keyboard that supports a particular theming option (custom fonts for the keys). GBoard themes are limited to colours and backgrounds. Google tend to be limited in the customisation options they offer for their apps, which is one of the reasons people use third-party alternatives.

How do you type on it?
Physical keyboards can't really do anything else. But when software keyboards became available most developers figured that giving a better visual cue as to what a key does would be welcomed, and most users agreed. And that last is, unfortunately, why your choice of keyboards is limited: if this was a common preference all keyboards would support it.

How do you type on it?

Well physical keyboards can't really do much else...Doh!!

Physical keyboards usually have a CAPS LOCK light. Light is ON, uppercase letters, light is OFF, lowercase letters...easy. :)

Sure I read somewhere once the reason why the iOS keyboard only showed uppercase, was because that's what Steve Jobs preferred. And Apple originally didn't allow third-party keyboard apps on the iPhone. So users were stuck with it.

Last edited:
Well physical keyboards can't really do much else...Doh!!

Physical keyboards usually have a CAPS LOCK light. Light is ON, uppercase letters, light is OFF, lowercase letters...easy. :)

And they have similar light or marking on mobile keyboard, so what's the need to switch all buttons to lower case?

The Apple software keyboard does something like that: colour and shape of the shift key icon indicates whether it is off, on or locked.

Android software keyboards typically do this too, but also have the case of the characters as an additional (and for most more obvious) cue. As for the advantage, if I'm typing on a phone keyboard it's likely that the shift key is obscured by my left thumb, so the change of case is a more useful cue than the marking on the shift key.

Side tip, try the Google mic or speak. That could help a lot.
Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I don't see how this would help the OP. :thinking:

The OP wants a keyboard whose letters are always shown in uppercase, regardless of whether they're typing in upper- or lowercase.

Had to register just to post here. I am currently using Fleksy keyboard. It does what the OP had asked. And I've been using the said keyboard for years already.

Just signed up to say thank you!! It's not perfect, but it's the only keyboard I've found thanks to you that does what we want. You just helped so much with my transition to android. I'm surprised, if you can make keyboards, why has no one made an apple knockoff with the uppercase key option.

Just signed up to say thank you!! It's not perfect, but it's the only keyboard I've found thanks to you that does what we want. You just helped so much with my transition to android. I'm surprised, if you can make keyboards, why has no one made an apple knockoff with the uppercase key option.
because most of us never owned an apple product and are used to android keyboards to even care about cap letters.....LOL

I'm glad I was able to help you. Yes, Fleksy isn't perfect. But mind you, it's the best thing we can have.

By the way, there is a edit-jump bug that has been there for years now and the devs are slow in fixing the problem. This bug also exists in their beta version. Maybe you could help in rating them then include the said bug in your rating so we can be heard. But aside from that, Fleksy has been there for better my better typing experience ever since.

because most of us never owned an apple product and are used to android keyboards to even care about cap letters.....LOL

I never owned any apple product and will not consider having one in the future. But the all-cap-display keyboard is one that a number of people can get so we can type in a convenient way.

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple has a patent on that.

Back
Top Bottom