• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help needed with s4 constantly restarting!

Chippers

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
Hi,
I've looked all over the internet and whilst there seems to be similar problems of re-starting, I can't seem to find anyone having exactly the same problem, so was wondering if anyone could help!

I have had my s4 for just over a year and it has worked perfectly up until yesterday when I noticed the internet was being a bit slow so decided to just restart it as this usually sorts it out however it then began constantly restarting and has been ever since!
I am able to use the phone for between 30 seconds and a minute before it restarts itself again so it's stuck on a boot loop as such, it lets me on for a bit, but it's very frequent (a lot seem to have it happen every few hours or so). I have started it in safe mode and it still happens so I don't think it's an app (I installed one on Saturday but have deleted it and it still happens) and I have cleared the cache but it still happens... the only other thing is when it turns on I get a 'currently unable to download, try again later' message on the bottom of the screen...not sure what it's trying to download though!

I have bought a new battery in the hope that it could be that, failing that I will do a factory reset. As I really don't want to have to do a factory reset...do you have any other ideas what it could be?? I don't have much knowledge of phones really... I also don't seem to have much luck as my previous s3 also had a problem where it would randomly die and I would lose everything as I would have no warning and I'd have to send it to be repaired!

If anyone could offer any suggestions that would be great!! Thanks :)

Hi,
I've looked all over the internet and whilst there seems to be similar problems of re-starting, I can't seem to find anyone having exactly the same problem, so was wondering if anyone could help!

I have had my s4 for just over a year and it has worked perfectly up until yesterday when I noticed the internet was being a bit slow so decided to just restart it as this usually sorts it out however it then began constantly restarting and has been ever since!
I am able to use the phone for between 30 seconds and a minute before it restarts itself again so it's stuck on a boot loop as such, it lets me on for a bit, but it's very frequent (a lot seem to have it happen every few hours or so). I have started it in safe mode and it still happens so I don't think it's an app (I installed one on Saturday but have deleted it and it still happens) and I have cleared the cache but it still happens... the only other thing is when it turns on I get a 'currently unable to download, try again later' message on the bottom of the screen...not sure what it's trying to download though!

I have bought a new battery in the hope that it could be that, failing that I will do a factory reset. As I really don't want to have to do a factory reset...do you have any other ideas what it could be?? I don't have much knowledge of phones really... I also don't seem to have much luck as my previous s3 also had a problem where it would randomly die and I would lose everything as I would have no warning and I'd have to send it to be repaired!

If anyone could offer any suggestions that would be great!! Thanks :)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Chippers :)

In the first instance I would recommend a wipe of the cache partition as per #1.3 of S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. Also, you can try restarting your phone without the SD card to see if that is causing the issue.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Try these in the following order -

Clear the cache - https://www.androidpit.com/forum/608584/how-to-clear-the-system-cache-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s4

If that doesn't work, try powering off, remove the sd card, power on normally. Some things will probably not work but if it boots, your SD card has gotten screwy.

If that doesn't work, try the same with the sim card.

If any of those things, or a battery replacement, works then you might want to look into Helium Backup.

A backup considerably softens the blow of a factory data reset and besides, no phone is forever.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Hi both, thank you for your replies. I have cleared the cache (a few times!) but that hasn't worked and I don't have an SD card in my phone so it can't be that! Removing the sim doesn't help either.

I will try the Helium backup too, if it gives me enough time to download it, so I can then do a factory reset if the new battery doesn't work :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones