• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP!!!: Terrible Battery Life and Need Help With Juice Defender

tresean1

Hello fellow Android'ers,

My post is two-fold....I am new here so please bare with me :-)

1) My battery life sucks....if I take it off the charger at 7:15am with a battery life of 97%, by 12:45pm my battery life is down to 20%, that is sad.....by 2pm, my battery is DEAD. So basically I am getting barely 6 hours from my phone, which is unacceptable. Things about my phone: I downloaded ATK, Juice Defender, and Startup Auditor; I did the Airplane Mode trick; I have Sense Analog Clock widget with weather updates; I would power my phone off at night to charge it; I had 3G/data services on accept for when I am home, I use my WiFi; screen brightness is set to LOWEST POSSIBLE; screen/keyboard timeout is 15 secs; wallpaper is pitch black; I do not use YouTube or Facebook; I do minimal email checks; make very very few calls of less than 10 minutes; average amount of texting. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing...I am not even a "heavy user", yet I am hearing reports of people getting 24 hours out of their batteries even under heavy useage!!!!

2) What are you guys' Juice Defender settings? Call me stupid, but I cannot understand how to work this App...can someone walk me step-by-step on how to use it and how to "customize" the settings for optimal battery.....and what the pros/cons/purpose of each setting is....I have it on "default" now, but I want to get the full potential out of the app, but Dont want to go messing with settings that I have no clue what I am doing....

These are my major gripes with the phone/battery...someone PLEASE PLEASE help me, I have read the forums and the tips and tricks, but I still cannot get my battery life to "increase" like you guys have...am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for all your assiatance....

Hello fellow Android'ers,

My post is two-fold....I am new here so please bare with me :-)

1) Things about my phone: I downloaded ATK, Juice Defender, and Startup Auditor; I did the Airplane Mode trick; I have Sense Analog Clock widget with weather updates; I would power my phone off at night to charge it; I had 3G/data services on accept for when I am home, I use my WiFi; screen brightness is set to LOWEST POSSIBLE; screen/keyboard timeout is 15 secs; wallpaper is pitch black; I do not use YouTube or Facebook; I do minimal email checks; make very very few calls of less than 10 minutes; average amount of texting. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing...I am not even a "heavy user", yet I am hearing reports of people getting 24 hours out of their batteries even under heavy useage!!!!

During the day, how is your signal? If that is fading in and out, that will cause your battery to drain faster than normal.

What is the polling frequency on your email? Try setting that to 30 minutes or longer.

Widgets cause a drain on your battery as well. What kind of settings do you have on the Sense (?) Clock for your weather update? If you want to try a test, I would delete that to see if that helps the cause.

Also, try not using your WiFi, unless you are in an area where your 3G signal is not good.

^My signal is at 6 bars right now, which is sorta suspect....but I have seen it fluctuate between 3 to 5 bars...I have my email set for every hour...I just disabled the weather update on my clock widget so I will see how that plays out today and give an update...

Question: is everyone NOT using a clock/date/weather widget? Is that how people are saving battery life/is that the thing that drains battery? Do most people just use the clock in the upper right hand corner of the "task bar" (I dont know what it's called...lol)

i have the same analog clock and free juice defender. i use my phone alot during the day and i make it home after taking my phone of the charger at 8 am and get home around 6pm and still have 60 percent if not more left. was havin trouble with my battery at one point and it turned out to be an app draining mu battery. it was the homerun derby app free

i have the same analog clock and free juice defender. i use my phone alot during the day and i make it home after taking my phone of the charger at 8 am and get home around 6pm and still have 60 percent if not more left. was havin trouble with my battery at one point and it turned out to be an app draining mu battery. it was the homerun derby app free

I dont have that app.......and my battery is still draining...do you know what else could be causing it....i am at 60% before the morning is even over, much less making it to lunch time :-(

^My signal is at 6 bars right now, which is sorta suspect....but I have seen it fluctuate between 3 to 5 bars...I have my email set for every hour...I just disabled the weather update on my clock widget so I will see how that plays out today and give an update...

Question: is everyone NOT using a clock/date/weather widget? Is that how people are saving battery life/is that the thing that drains battery? Do most people just use the clock in the upper right hand corner of the "task bar" (I dont know what it's called...lol)

I use the Beautiful Widgets one for that function. You can access the alarm clock, calendar, and weather forecast. Is that the only widget you have on your phone?

ATK had issues, but that wasn't until 2.2 (on the Droid 1's), where that would actually do more harm than good. I'm assuming you were having the issue before. Personally, I have used JuiceDefender in the past, but I never seemed to get good results with (again on my Droid).

EDIT: What is showing up under your "Battery Use" when you check?

^I just have that widget and Program Manager and Battery widget...I just dont understand why my battery is not lasting me when other people have reported going the full day and still being at 90%

check ur running services under settings,apps,running services and see what all u have in there that can be turned off.

Program Manager widget, what is that? Check the battery usage under Settings - About Phone - Battery Use. That could tell you what is eating up the battery.

How about games like Words With Friends? There is a polling on the notifications that if set to a short frequency could kill the battery. Do you have any apps like this with a pull type notification?

EDIT: Are you on 2.1 Eclair or 2.2 Froyo?

froyo significantly increased my battery life... i unplugged my charger as a test while at work yesterday at 12 noon, plugged in at midnight to go to bed with 42% battery left... and i even use my phone as an mp3 player at work off and on, as well as having a weather / clock run, etc. I no longer use an animated wallpaper, though, but that is preference unrelated to battery life.

EDIT: What is showing up under your "Battery Use" when you check?

says: display 82%, cell standby 5% (time without signal 6%), browser 5%, android system 5%, android OD 2%

check ur running services under settings,apps,running services and see what all u have in there that can be turned off.

I have android system, com.samsung.internal, sns, voicemail, media hub, swype, mailservice, quick battery, juice defender, sense analog small clock

Program Manager widget, what is that?
How about games like Words With Friends? There is a polling on the notifications that if set to a short frequency could kill the battery. Do you have any apps like this with a pull type notification?

EDIT: Are you on 2.1 Eclair or 2.2 Froyo?

Program Manager widget is the little widget that tells you how many programs you have running and when you click on it, it tell you your active app....the bar changes colors from red to green to yellow, I guess depending on what is eating up your system resources/battery (did I call this the wrong thing? is this widget called something else? I dont know )

And as a matter of fact, I did download Words With Friends---but havent opened it/gotten a chance to play it, it's peculiar that you mention that------is that a battery hog? Also, what do you mean by "There is a polling on the notifications that if set to a short frequency"....what is a polling, forgive me, I am still new here and learning the "lingo"

And I am on stock 2.1 from Sprint/factory, I have not done any flash/ROM, etc....as I am a newbie and I have clue what I am doing and would not want to mess something up

I hope this answers all the questions to give you more insight on my phone setup, and to allow you guys to diagnose the problem better...thanks much for you help!!!! :-)

uhh im lazy and thats a lot to read but you should try what i do when im at work or in class i just turn the internet off i mean its not really needed if your not gonna be using it unless you have some important e mails coming and im not talking about wi fi or 4g i mean 3g turn it off completely it will take hours to get rid of 10% well for me at least

just a thought hop it helps

I read your post #11 and saw nothing out of ordinary. I don't use the Sense clock app, but currently using Beautiful Widget. Have you tried going back to running as-is with no ATK, no Startup Auditor and no Juice Defender? I'm one of those that do not believe in the need for ATK.

I recommend getting a larger battery, that is the only way your going to be able to enjoy this phone and live without any stress trying to force and tweak it all the time.

I know you're on 2.1, but if they ever re-release the 2.2 OTA, it installs an icon on the desktop called News & Weather. When touched, after thinking a few seconds, it displays very attractively pretty much all about the weather I want to know. If I want to know more, I open up the stock browser and press favorites for saved weather pages. To paraphrase Bob Dylan, you don't need a weather widget to tell you which way the wind blows...

And I personally think the diminutive stock clock is fine - in fact, I think the large clock widgets are sort of cartoonish and gauche.

i have the free juice defender on the original settings - i don't think i changed anything - and i never have a problem getting through the day. if fact, i wanted to see how long it would last so after a 100% charge my phone lasted almost 40 hrs before shut down. fyi, i just got my epic last weekend so i'm not rooted (this weekend) and full stock.

Turning off 3G when not needing it seems to help a lot. I believe you can customize JD to turn off 3g when screen is off. I am on 2.1 and can get through the whole day no problem. I don't have anything syncing though. Not really necessary for me. For example, if i am not going to use facebook for a day or so, why have it syncing all the time. As soon as I launch the app, it updates automatically. Same with email accounts. Works for me But I have never gotten 40 hours our of it.

I read your post #11 and saw nothing out of ordinary. I don't use the Sense clock app, but currently using Beautiful Widget. Have you tried going back to running as-is with no ATK, no Startup Auditor and no Juice Defender? I'm one of those that do not believe in the need for ATK.

I just deleted ATK and got a little more juice...but not much----do you not run any of those three apps/widgets? How much battery power are you getting throughout the day from a full charge?

i have the free juice defender on the original settings - i don't think i changed anything - and i never have a problem getting through the day. if fact, i wanted to see how long it would last so after a 100% charge my phone lasted almost 40 hrs before shut down. fyi, i just got my epic last weekend so i'm not rooted (this weekend) and full stock.

WOW!! Excuse my French, bt how in the hell do you get almost two full days out of your battery, when mine will barely last until lunchtime? What did you different...what did you not do?

Turning off 3G when not needing it seems to help a lot. I believe you can customize JD to turn off 3g when screen is off. I am on 2.1 and can get through the whole day no problem. I don't have anything syncing though. Not really necessary for me. For example, if i am not going to use facebook for a day or so, why have it syncing all the time. As soon as I launch the app, it updates automatically. Same with email accounts. Works for me But I have never gotten 40 hours our of it.

Wow, 40 hours.....how do you customize JD? I know it seems like a stupid question, but i just dont understand how to use that app...

Wow said:
When you launch JD, open the Status tab and you will see "Profile". Yours will probably be lit up for the default mode. Click on "Customize" and that will take you to many options to choose from. Just discovered it myself the other day.

When you launch JD, open the Status tab and you will see "Profile". Yours will probably be lit up for the default mode. Click on "Customize" and that will take you to many options to choose from. Just discovered it myself the other day.

I did that...and I didn't see any additional options

This is how I have my juice set up and I get about 2.5 days out of my battery with light use. 10 txts or so a day, light internet and facebook use, some videos sometimes. Hope this helps :cool:

Set the profile to Advanced to get the most settings to pop up.

go to the Controls tab, make sure prefur WiFi is on.

WiFi
"let juice automatically..." You can experiment here but i usually let it take over so that I dont have to toggle wifi off when im driving or anything.

AutoSync
set to ping

Keep enabled
data and wifi (so things like pandora work)
-------------------------------------------------------
===========
Schedules tab
===========
Frequency 15m

Duration
1m

Controls
[Custom] Autosync
----------------------------
Night
enabled
1:30am-8:30am

Options
Silent
Peak
Enabled
9am-10pm
==========
Triggers tab
==========
Battery
Enabled

Threshold 15%
-----------------
Screen
enabled

Options
After Unlock

Controls
[custom] AutoSync
------------------------
Traffic
Enabled

Threshold
Normal
------------------------
Apps
Enabled

Configure
-> Configure Apps -> This is where u pick what apps you want to be able to use data and wifi at <15%
(for me I only selected service on Gmail and Email. You can disable everything you dont want to use if u want to)

controls
[custom] Autosync

aannd thats everything. I also use startup auditor and i have almost all aps disabled on start up. Just make sure DRM is blocked completely and all the other sprint crap.

i usually charge mine while i sleep. when i would go to plug it in i would still be over 50% charged. so i just let it run until it died....40hrs later it did. i think i set juice def. to turn anything off after 5 min if i'm not using it.

This is how I have my juice set up and I get about 2.5 days out of my battery with light use. 10 txts or so a day, light internet and facebook use, some videos sometimes. Hope this helps :cool:

Set the profile to Advanced to get the most settings to pop up.

go to the Controls tab, make sure prefur WiFi is on.

WiFi
"let juice automatically..." You can experiment here but i usually let it take over so that I dont have to toggle wifi off when im driving or anything.

AutoSync
set to ping

Keep enabled
data and wifi (so things like pandora work)
-------------------------------------------------------
===========
Schedules tab
===========
Frequency 15m

Duration
1m

Controls
[Custom] Autosync
Night
enabled
1:30am-8:30am

Options
Silent
Peak
Enabled
9am-10pm
==========
Triggers tab
==========
Battery
Enabled

Threshold 15%
-----------------
Screen
enabled

Options
After Unlock

Controls
[custom] AutoSync
------------------------
Traffic
Enabled

Threshold
Normal
------------------------
Apps
Enabled

Configure
-> Configure Apps -> This is where u pick what apps you want to be able to use data and wifi at <15%
(for me I only selected service on Gmail and Email. You can disable everything you dont want to use if u want to)

controls
[custom] Autosync

aannd thats everything. I also use startup auditor and i have almost all aps disabled on start up. Just make sure DRM is blocked completely and all the other sprint crap.

OK, I finally got to that screen(s)...I had to re-install my JD....it may be me, but even though I was able to get to the customize screen, it still doesnt let me select those options; it's like whatever is selected is permanently selected in the app. This is weird. And I dont even see the "Duration" option on the schedules tab

i think i set juice def. to turn anything off after 5 min if i'm not using it.

Where is that option at, I dont even see anything on mine that resembles that :-(

You hit customize or Advanced and hit the confirm button

43hrs 49min uptime today and i have 12% left

49hrs @ 6% @9:31pm Central US

very weird... ever since saturday my battery life has changed.. usually i lose 3-4% per hour completely idle, which was fine for me.. however yesterday and today i dont even lose 1% now! it's been 3.5 hours granted my phones just been sitting there, i only made 1 call and its still 100%. I have no idea what changed, actually the only thing different is that JD isn't on anymore, hmm................

Back
Top Bottom