• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hey, remember me?

I hate the changes too, I'm the curmudgeon who just wants someone to pick a theme and LEAVE IT ALONE.

Not everything has to change all the time. I'd personally be happy in the 1950s. I certainly don't look forward to the future anymore since it's looking more like Oblivion or Black Mirror than the once nature-inspired utopia that the Frutiger Aero era led me to hope for.

Many have forgotten the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and instead are trying to fix it until it's broke. Once, the site was offline for anyone except those who relied on a 2010 browser to view it. Sorta ironic. Everyone forgot what happened to Oldsmobile when they tried to rebrand to fit a more 'younger' type, with the launch of the Achieva, Alero and so on, and it EOL'd them. Sometimes it's best to keep catering to those who got you to the top vs. catering to the lowest common denominator which only results in a homogenized world.

Yes, I think we were far better off when we had BlackBerry, WebOS, Meego, Maemo, Symbian, Android (2.x), iOS (6-and below), and others. Today it's literally Apple or Android, talk about 'the illusion of choice'. Both are pretty crap today, copypastas of each other. Competition breeds innovation, while homogenization breeds stagnation. Nothing has fundamentally changed since 2013, and now everything is just a solution in search of a problem instead of a real benefit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones