• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Home app "Force-close" loop, need a bit of help

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
Everyone gets to laugh at me on this one. :)

I somehow corrupted my Home app. The phone runs fine: answers calls, receives and replies to messages and e-mails........so long as it does not involve the launcher.

This means I cannot initiate a program of any kind unless it is swyping to receive a call or selecting it from a notification on the notification bar.

If I could somehow get Titanium Backup to run I could restore it from within the phone.

Since the device runs properly; I am thinking I can connect it to my PC and restore the Home app via ADB. Thoughts?

Questions:
1-Can one of my friends please walk me through the ADB commends required for restoring the stock Home app or Zeam Launcher?

2-Is there a way I can issue a command through ADB to launch Titanium on the phone?

1) adb install "c:\path\to\launcher\apk"
(I believe this works as long as USB debugging is enabled)

2) unfortunately, not.

1-Debugging is enabled. I can actually change that.....connecting to computer allows me to access that via the task bar.

2-Oh well. Worth asking. :)

I do not have a copy of home.apk available to me. I have access to me Titanium backups, but not sure how I would use them.

Do you have a copy of the stock launcher .apk you can send me?

I found a copy of Zeam online.
The problem is I get a "install-failed-already-exists" error when I try to install it.

I doubt that installing the standard Home app will work because I removed it with Titanium after installing Zeam launcher....and I set Zeam launcher as the default launcher. I am not sure the system will even try to use the stock launcher, if I install it, unless I can reset it as default launcher.

I think I need to find a way to replace the corrupted copy of Zeam with a good copy.

Any ideas?

BTW....thanks for your help!

I ran [adb install -r "zeam path"] and it successfully replaced Zeam....but rebooting showed the problem is still there.
I wonder if this is just corrupted Zeam app data? I don't know a way to fix that.

LOL
Yup......I figured that out and tried it just before you posted it.

Pretty funny how I am finding the next step to try just before I read your post. :)

What is the name of the Zeam app once it is installed?
I may try removing it and reinstalling.......but I just may brick it.

Can't uninstall it either....at least with my limited knowledge.
You know of a way to clear the data for the app? I am wondering if is just has corrupted data.....since I was able to "install -r" and that did not help.

Do you think if I found a copy of the original Home app and installed it I would get the option to set it to default so I coul ddelete Zeam and reinstall?

Or you could remove that data for zeam using adb...
( adb shell
su
rm -r /data/data/org.zeam)

You rock, man!

Clearing the data fixed it!
I owe you a big favor!

I rebooted to Zeam default settings and I now have a fully functional phone.

I cannot thank you enough for the help!
Anything I can do for you?

I believe that I corrupted the Zeam data in my Titanium backup as well. I will delete that backup and create a new one after I redo my settings.

Now the question is, How'd the /data portion get screwed up? (It might be helpful to send it to the zeam dev team, so they know about it as well...)

I was screwing around with changing it to a system app, and then back to a user app in Titanium. The next time I rebooted it went right into force-close.

Do you think they want to know about this?

I was screwing around with changing it to a system app, and then back to a user app in Titanium. The next time I rebooted it went right into force-close.

Do you think they want to know about this?

Nah, that's your own fault :P

For whatever reason, i've had issues with titanium changing apps system <==> user, so I just ignore that portion, and mainly use titanium for batch/scheduled backups...

LOL
Yup....I have done some stupid things....and will likely continue to do so. :)

I have not had a problem with converting other programs....but Zeam does not seem to get along with conversion.

I could not do a factory reset because I had no way to get to the phone menu. I am glad you stepped in!

Kinda makes me wish Titanium could be launched from the status bar; effectively making the status bar a secondary launcher.

Of course, this would rarely help most users.

Kinda makes me wish Titanium could be launched from the status bar; effectively making the status bar a secondary launcher.

Of course, this would rarely help most users.

Well, if you want to use that shortcut, run a scheduled operation, and when it's finished, that notification will allow you to open up titanium... you can just never clear your notification bar....

Good idea....if you find yourself doing something that might prove a little dangerous.

My type of danger doesn't involve notification bars (I'm about 75% of the way done on kernel building (right now I'm stuck on ramdisks, they are the thing that runs before Android does when booting) and when I'm done (and get my device from cbreze) I'll transition from my phone (Verizon Xperia Play) to commando)

Obviously, I am pretty ignorant of such things.
If you need anything to help with that project; please let me know.
I can pitch in on your expenses if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom