• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Home app "Force-close" loop, need a bit of help

Obviously, I am pretty ignorant of such things.
If you need anything to help with that project; please let me know.
I can pitch in on your expenses if it helps.

Wait until (if) I actually have something working for expenses. When I finally have something up, I'm going to try to build a faq/walkthrough, because as of right now there are about a million sources covering about 50% of what's needed to actually build a kernel, the other 50% I'm learning from other devs :p

I can appreciate that.

I have a lathe and mill in my garage. I do my own gunsmithing.
I allow friends to come over and work on their guns.....so long as: they don't expect me to do it all; they do not leave guns at my place overnight; they never pay me for it; they never attempt to make anything that cannot be purchased legally by them without special permitting. Part of the reason for my rules is the strict laws regarding firearms and the work on them......and part of it is that I don't want them turning my hobby into an obligation. :)

Outside of that; I enjoy it.

I can appreciate that.

I have a lathe and mill in my garage. I do my own gunsmithing.
I allow friends to come over and work on their guns.....so long as: they don't expect me to do it all; they do not leave guns at my place overnight; they never pay me for it; they never attempt to make anything that cannot be purchased legally by them without special permitting. Part of the reason for my rules is the strict laws regarding firearms and the work on them......and part of it is that I don't want them turning my hobby into an obligation. :)

Outside of that; I enjoy it.

Really?? (About to go way, off topic, but i'm ok with that if you are (Horray!! Guns!!)

So If i have a 1911 (Springfield Mil-spec) that is having feed errors, what's the best way to fix it (it'll randomly incorrectly feed the round into the chamber, but it seems to do it more often than not with the 2nd to last round, doesn't matter if it's lubed up/how many rounds have been fired through it/dirty or clean enough you could use it as a utensil for eating/what kind of magazine (i've used springfield and kimber) is used)

Also, how do you feel about piston driven ARs compared to classic Gas Impingement? My personal opinion is that it's about time we updated the AR, and i think Piston is the way to go (I might be biased, I just got done playing around with a gas system for the past 6 years :P (Marine Corps Reserves)

If you live in any State except Illinois/city of DC, (Stupid Illinois/DC) do you concealed carry? If so, what kind of gun is your carry piece, and what type of holster do you prefer (My experience with carrying is same 1911, before it ran into problems, small-o-back/pancake)

That's about all I have right now regarding guns (if you can't tell, I'm a *small* fan) but, hey, always good to meet someone on here with tastes for the finer stuff in life :P

I have never done more to a 1911 than shoot it.......but I have a buddy who is into them...can ask him. I would have suspected the magazine....until you said you tried different ones.

As to AR-15....
I am still running a gas tube. I like the concept of the piston, and if I were to get one I would certainly look hard at the Osprey system......can use regular handguards.
I got to check it out when it was introduced at the 2007 SHOT show in Las Vegas.

I have not moved to piston, partly becuase of expense, and partly because you still have to clean the gas-block/tube/and possibly the piston. It also adds complexity...something I like to reduce in something I might have to trust with my life. It doesn't get much simpler than a gas-tube and rings.....and if you think about it....the bolt IS a piston. Piston systems just relocate the piston. :)

I am in Virginia. I have had my permit to carry concealed for about 15 years. Easy to get in this state. I carry a Sig Sauer P250, compact, 9mm, 15 shot. It's a DAO so there is no safety. Many people hate this gun. I have enjoyed it for over 1400 rounds since I got it. I just tuck it into my waist at my belly.

I have rebarreled my Savage 308's a few times, and have shot them regularly at 1000 yards on steel targets and paper. I competed in the 2007 Winter ASC (Allegheney Sniper Challenge), but did not break any records. It was fun.

Never been in the Military. Dad was career Navy.... he flew E-2's, among other platforms.

Yeah.....I do enjoy my guns! I am one of those who believes we should get along with everyone, but if someone should decide that another persons life does not matter......we should be prepared to CRUSH them with superior force and training. :)

Thinking more on your 1911 feed problem:
Have you tried different weight loads in it to see if one cycles better?
The is a blowback-recoil weapon. This means that bullet-weight, charge, and recoil-spring pressure must all work together for a good outcome. Also, if a weak spring and stout load are creating a slide-velocity that is on the fast side.....it may require a stouter spring in the magazine to get the next cartridge in place before the slide starts forward.

Another thing that may be happening is, if this is a staggered magazine and not a single-stack, if the slide surface that contacts the next mag-round is not perpendicular to the direction of the magazine feed.......the cartridges on one side (1,3,5,7 or 2,4,6,8) may be having a tough time being driven into line with the bolt-face.

I would suggest, in this order:
1-Try different loads.
2-Consider a different recoil spring.
3-Consider a stiffer mag-spring

Like I said, I know little of 1911's, but I have done a fair amount of problem solving with a variety of weapons.

I have never done more to a 1911 than shoot it.......but I have a buddy who is into them...can ask him. I would have suspected the magazine....until you said you tried different ones.

As to AR-15....
I am still running a gas tube. I like the concept of the piston, and if I were to get one I would certainly look hard at the Osprey system......can use regular handguards.
I got to check it out when it was introduced at the 2007 SHOT show in Las Vegas.

I have not moved to piston, partly becuase of expense, and partly because you still have to clean the gas-block/tube/and possibly the piston. It also adds complexity...something I like to reduce in something I might have to trust with my life. It doesn't get much simpler than a gas-tube and rings.....and if you think about it....the bolt IS a piston. Piston systems just relocate the piston. :)
Believe it or not, it's alot easier to clean with a piston. A lot easier :p

I am in Virginia. I have had my permit to carry concealed for about 15 years. Easy to get in this state. I carry a Sig Sauer P250, compact, 9mm, 15 shot. It's a DAO so there is no safety. Many people hate this gun. I have enjoyed it for over 1400 rounds since I got it. I just tuck it into my waist at my belly.

I still need to get my Wisconsin CCL (I have a Minnesota one, from when I lived there, but it's no longer "valid"since my residence is WI)

DAO is nice, I have the xd, but nothing beats the damn near hair trigger on my 1911 (SAO)

In your waistband?, Well, if it works for you, go for it, just be careful. We had a cop out here in Wisconsin have his pistol fall down and out and accidentally discharge a round (Glock, I think.)

I have rebarreled my Savage 308's a few times, and have shot them regularly at 1000 yards on steel targets and paper. I competed in the 2007 Winter ASC (Allegheney Sniper Challenge), but did not break any records. It was fun.

Never been in the Military. Dad was career Navy.... he flew E-2's, among other platforms.

Yeah.....I do enjoy my guns! I am one of those who believes we should get along with everyone, but if someone should decide that another persons life does not matter......we should be prepared to CRUSH them with superior force and training. :)

Here, here.

Thinking more on your 1911 feed problem:
Have you tried different weight loads in it to see if one cycles better?
The is a blowback-recoil weapon. This means that bullet-weight, charge, and recoil-spring pressure must all work together for a good outcome. Also, if a weak spring and stout load are creating a slide-velocity that is on the fast side.....it may require a stouter spring in the magazine to get the next cartridge in place before the slide starts forward.

Another thing that may be happening is, if this is a staggered magazine and not a single-stack, if the slide surface that contacts the next mag-round is not perpendicular to the direction of the magazine feed.......the cartridges on one side (1,3,5,7 or 2,4,6,8) may be having a tough time being driven into line with the bolt-face.

I would suggest, in this order:
1-Try different loads.
2-Consider a different recoil spring.
3-Consider a stiffer mag-spring

Like I said, I know little of 1911's, but I have done a fair amount of problem solving with a variety of weapons.

It's a single stack magazine, and I need to check and see what loads I was using (I think 230 & 190grain loads)

Cool!

I did some light reading and it appears many 1911 people have reported 1911's being a bit picky in cycling unless you find the right load for it.

The DAO is pretty tough to pull by accident....that and the fact that I retrained myself not to get a finger in the guard until the weapon is pointed in a safe direction. I have a SERPA holster mounted in my vehicle, and another I can wear on a belt....both require the trigger finger to hit a button to release them. I believe it has helped teach me to have my trigger finger out straight when reaching for the weapon. I feel safer with this than both the Ruger SP101 revolver and Beretta; both of which used to be my "carry" weapons. I also feel more capable.

It's funny how different one can feel about each of the different weapons we have carried. I am MUCH more comfortable with this weapon than any "carry" gun I have ever used in this manner. Of course, over 1400 rounds without a single failure to feed, fire, or extract helps with comfort too. Those other two weapons had problem after problem.

The Ruger was the worst handgun I have owned.......constant problems from purchase until sale. It inspired zero-confidence. I hope it enjoys a long career in the movies.....it was a nice "looking" gun. :)

Didn't Plaxico Burris shoot himself chasing a semi-auto pistol down his pants-leg?
If he were sporting a DAO with a stiff trigger he would have saved himself a lot of pain and embarrassment. :)

Cool!

I did some light reading and it appears many 1911 people have reported 1911's being a bit picky in cycling unless you find the right load for it.

The DAO is pretty tough to pull by accident....that and the fact that I retrained myself not to get a finger in the guard until the weapon is pointed in a safe direction. I have a SERPA holster mounted in my vehicle, and another I can wear on a belt....both require the trigger finger to hit a button to release them. I believe it has helped teach me to have my trigger finger out straight when reaching for the weapon. I feel safer with this than both the Ruger SP101 revolver and Beretta; both of which used to be my "carry" weapons. I also feel more capable.

It's funny how different one can feel about each of the different weapons we have carried. I am MUCH more comfortable with this weapon than any "carry" gun I have ever used in this manner. Of course, over 1400 rounds without a single failure to feed, fire, or extract helps with comfort too. Those other two weapons had problem after problem.

The Ruger was the worst handgun I have owned.......constant problems from purchase until sale. It inspired zero-confidence. I hope it enjoys a long career in the movies.....it was a nice "looking" gun. :)

Hahahaha :P

I have a Ruger S&P 101 (357/2 3/4" barrel) and I love it... way to much power for that little thing (but it works with 38 +P so i save a little money :P) I haven't had a problem with it... ever... (then again, it's a revolver, so if you have a problem, its a BIG problem :P )

I have also had experience with both SERPA and the Beretta (92FS/M9)... Let's just say, i really don't like Beretta now. SERPA on the other hand I do love (I have a Glock 19 in a SERPA drop holster with 2 mags ... now if only everybody wouldn't be so freaked out by a it :P )

The only thing that I can say is better than keeping your finger straight and outta the trigger (well) is if you put it up on the slide above the trigger well. (In case, gut reaction is to pull your trigger finger, when you don't mean to, e.g. suprise, there is no chance of a AD (Accidental Discharge))

Unfortunately I'm not so rich (or I should say, I didn't spend my deployment money) on a Sig Sauer. I've only heard 1 bad thing about them (as opposed to pretty much every other weapons, with the exception of the S&W M&P.) They are nice guns, don't get me wrong, but a poor college student with a family unfortunately can't get everything he wants :P (Tax Return is already called for, so no more guns off that... dammit... :P)

The story about the WI cop is here: http://greendale.patch.com/articles/off-duty-cop-accidently-fires-gun-in-southridge-mall ... my guess is that he was a moron, and also might have had a hair trigger installed ... :P

So far (in response to earlier, i forgot to add this) I only have one pistol with a "safety" and that's the hammer lock on the 1911. (Glock has trigger safety, XD has grip/trigger saftey, Ruger has ... well... trigger... :P )

Yeah, my SP101 was also .357, but with the 3-1/16" bbl.
I replaced the stock grips with a one piece Hogue rubber grip. Huge improvement and no more sore middle finger. Man.....that trigger guard will beat your middle finger to death with the stock grips! Agree, way over powered for such a small pistol.

Mine had fitment issues that caused lots of problems with cycling, among other problems. It was just a lemon.

I don't have one of "those" sigs....even though I would love to own one.
My P250 was only $450.00 new. This is the inexpensive one. You probably have more money in your 1911. Money is tight for me as well.

Yeah, my SERPA forces my finger up a bit towards the lower receiver. I also like this because it leaves my finger just under the extractor......which sticks out just a bit when there is a round in the chamber. I leave mine ready to fire....but I also like that a quick swipe of my trigger finger, without having to take my eyes off a potential situation, verifies a round in the chamber so I don't end my life pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

Like I said....I am very connected with this weapon.

soooo back on topic, i had a similar problem switching the go launcher to a system app. I did the whole adb wait for device reboot recovery thing and went to a nand backup.

why wasn't this an option for you?

i'm no expert on adb. i just googled "adb wait for device"

you have to have your phone off, then in the adb shell you'd type something like "wait-for-device reboot recovery" and then plug your phone into the usb and it will power on, boot up, then reboot into recovery. at least that's what i remember.

I'm not remembering this correctly, and i'm too lazy to look it up lol. but anyway, as long as you have GNM's recovery installed, and you've created a nand backup, you would be able to do this and restore your phone to an earlier state. i make a backup about once a month. the first time i actually had to do this was when i switched the go launcher to a system app, and my nand backup was over two months old. i had like 20 apps that needed to be updated.

edit: sorry i didn't chime in sooner with this solution. probably would have saved some time.

i'm no expert on adb. i just googled "adb wait for device"

you have to have your phone off, then in the adb shell you'd type something like "wait-for-device reboot recovery" and then plug your phone into the usb and it will power on, boot up, then reboot into recovery. at least that's what i remember.

I'm not remembering this correctly, and i'm too lazy to look it up lol. but anyway, as long as you have GNM's recovery installed, and you've created a nand backup, you would be able to do this and restore your phone to an earlier state. i make a backup about once a month. the first time i actually had to do this was when i switched the go launcher to a system app, and my nand backup was over two months old. i had like 20 apps that needed to be updated.

edit: sorry i didn't chime in sooner with this solution. probably would have saved some time.

I don't think he has recovery installed...

Correct. I do not have it installed.
I am pretty ignorant on how to do it. The few times I sat down to try to understand it I got distracted away from it.....just never got comfortable with how to do it and what benefits it brings.

If an improved ROM or a way to go back to 2.1.1 ever appear I am sure I will make time to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom