• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Homescreen & com.motorola.blur.home eats battery since JB

FunkyJunk

Have only had this problem since the JB update, phone has been off the charger for 2 hours and is already at 40% battery (was 100% when taken off charger). When I go to see what has been running on the battery, com.motorola.blur.home has used 25% of the battery, Android OS 16% and Android System 7%. I can only assume the Homescreen is what is bleeding it dry as that is the only shared process that I can tell. Backup Assistant+ and Sync Service have both been disabled since the update, so I don't think it would be that. Any help is appreciated because a 60% battery drain after less than 2 hours is unacceptable.

Screenshot_2013-05-07-19-16-50.png

I ran it in safe mode all day (except for right now when I was using the stock browser, turned it to landscape mode, and the phone restarted). com.motorola.blur.home and Android OS still using a combined 38%.

Screenshot_2013-05-08-19-16-23.png

"Screen" I believe is not the home screen - it's the power used by the display when the device is turned on and the display is being shown. You can try turning off automatic brightness and turning brightness down a bit. Perhaps it's also possible that the screen is being turned on in your pocket or something?

com.motorola.blur.home - that's the homescreen. I've always thought that widget use was assigned to "Android system" or "Android OS" but perhaps it's now assigned to the homescreen process. If you have any widgets on the homescreen, try removing them for a day to see if there is a difference in power usage.

Of course, the factory data reset is a good idea, too...

"Screen" I believe is not the home screen - it's the power used by the display when the device is turned on and the display is being shown. You can try turning off automatic brightness and turning brightness down a bit. Perhaps it's also possible that the screen is being turned on in your pocket or something?

com.motorola.blur.home - that's the homescreen. I've always thought that widget use was assigned to "Android system" or "Android OS" but perhaps it's now assigned to the homescreen process. If you have any widgets on the homescreen, try removing them for a day to see if there is a difference in power usage.

Of course, the factory data reset is a good idea, too...

I know that "Screen" refers to the physical screen and not the homescreen, I mentioned the 60% drop in battery because that seemed a bit high for only being off a 100% charge for almost 2 hours. I know the screen was only that high because I was searching around on the phone trying to figure out what was eating the battery alive.

That's what I thought as well, but apparently it has it's own title now. If I clicked on the com.motorola.blur.home it listed both Homescreen and Backup Assistant+ under the included packages. I've never used Backup Assistant+, so I had ruled that out, but who knows. Widgets were turned off for the second screen shot, when I ran the whole day in safe mode, basically with the same result.

Perhaps you should post what you have tried so others won't waste their time posting a suggestion you may have already done...

I have also had this problem, but on the Droid Razr Maxx. I have a feeling that it might stem from the fact that I have Backup Asst + frozen via Titanium (as well as some of the associated elements of this 'virus'). I think that maybe something is still trying to run it and causing the com.motorola.blur.home process to hang and spin the CPU. I'll problem unfreeze everything and see if that fixes it. In the meantime, is there any way to disable Backup Asst without all these repercussions? OP, did you ever resolve this?

Just to follow up, I found a great fix for this problem. I replaced the Motoblur POS launcher with a third-party launcher (Nova Launcher). Then I went into Titanium and froze everything associated with motorola.home (Homescreen). Not only did this give me a greatly improved interface with way more options, it is *way* faster than the stock homescreen, and my battery life is much better. "Homescreen" was occasionally chewing up 50% of my CPU and draining the battery much faster than it should. I turned my Droid Razr Maxx on at 7:30 this morning, and now, just before 1pm, I have 97% of battery (granted, not using the phone much...). No more seeing "homescreen" as the biggest battery sucker. Should work just as well with your Bionics.

should a system update kill battery,:( necessitate having to eliminate widgets, and use a third party launcher???? i mean,,,,seriously. what kind of update is that

I think the person with the biggest problem had a root-ed Bionic and had frozen some apps with Titanium Backup (and might have introduced some problem inadvertently).

It is curious that no one mentioned trying to run in Safe Mode (disabling all added apps without uninstalling them). Perhaps there was an added app running in the background that was causing it.

I found with that release the GPS was being run by SOME app that I never identified. I turned GPS off unless I had a specific need for it and my battery drain stopped.

... Thom

I found with that release the GPS was being run by SOME app that I never identified. I turned GPS off unless I had a specific need for it and my battery drain stopped.

... Thom

no wifi, no 4g, gps only when i need it. i'm frugal. like, i have all the media stuff but i never use the, so after i reset i reassessed the apps i really use and those i don't, i left off.

still a battery drain

Back
Top Bottom