• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Honor 6X takes better photos than the iPhone 7 [GALLERY]

GamerCore

Android Enthusiast
Over the weekend, I decided to take a handful of photos comparing the camera quality of the Honor 6X against the iPhone 7. Can't say I was expecting much (we're talking about a mid-range $250 device vs a top-tier $650 one), but I was curious.

To my surprise, the Honor 6X actually beat the iPhone in terms of overall picture quality, detail, and dynamic range. Figured I'd post some photos for everyone to look over and judge for themselves.

Before we start, here are some quick camera specs (you'll notice the iPhone has almost every advantage with a larger aperture and OIS going for it):
  • Honor 6X: 12MP (main) f/2.2 | Sony IMX386 sensor | 1.25 µm pixels
  • iPhone 7: 12MP f/1.8 (OIS) | Sony Exmor RS sensor | 1.22 µm pixels
HONOR 6X (left) / iPhone 7 (right)

honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera test 2.jpg
honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera.jpg
honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera 5.jpg honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera 3.jpg honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera 2.jpg honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera 1.jpg

The first thing you're going to notice in all of these photos is how much brighter the iPhone photos look in comparison to the Honor 6X. It's really a matter of preference, but it completely blows out the brighter areas of the shot (look at the background of the guy and the car).

honor 6x vs iphone 7 camera 6.jpg

While the Honor 6X certainly gives the iPhone a run for its money during daytime shooting, it's in low light that Honor 6X completely falls apart. The Honor 6X just isn't as well equipped as the iPhone -- which features a larger aperture and OIS -- for shooting in low light. It still does a good job of exposing the image, but colors are dull, the image isn't sharp, and there's lots of noise. As long as you're aware of this limitation, you'll try and save most of your photo shooting for the outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom