• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Can I Stop an Android Installation in Progress?

A

Android Question

A couple of months ago I was forced by the service provider to download the latest version of Android Lollipop. Since then I get constantly a notification to update my phone, which I have always canceled. Today popped up this notification and I accidentally pressed the "I Agree" button. Then a message appeared which said "The device will now restart and the installation will continue". The phone was restarted and a black screen with the Android Robot in the middle appeared and underneath stated "System update in progress" plus the percentage of the progress. I immediately removed the battery as I had no other choice to shut the phone down. Every time I put the battery in and turn it on the same screen appears.

How can I cancel the installation? I really do not want to update to Android 5 Lollipop
sad.png

Phone Specification:

Samsung Galaxy Alpha - 4.4.4 KitKat

I don't know if there is a way to stop it at this point. Is there any particular reason you don't want it? It's probably just a minor security update.

You need to be REALLY CAREFUL about stopping updates in progress. You're lucky it picks up where it left off. You could leave your phone in an unrecoverable state. For example if you stopped the update while it was updating your bootloader, you'd be screwed.

^^^ +1,000!

Hopefully, the update was still in the verification phase before you did the battery pull...if you pulled it while it was already updating/upgrading/changing files, then you're going to experience some "interesting" side-effects...:(.

Interrupting (stopping) it would take some "low level" (technical) access for which I can't give details about since it's not a device I'm familiar with (basically, you'd have to find where the update.zip file is (and what it's actually called) and move/remove it--but that would probably take access to a custom recovery--you can't do that from the stock recovery.

^^^ Ah, brilliant in it's simplicity, @AZgl1500--thank you for that golden nugget! :)

Not sure that you'd actually have to wipe it 3 times though...there was (and probably still is) a crazy misconception for some root folks when flashing custom ROMs about wiping cache 3 times...if its gonna work at all, it should work on the first try ;) :).

Back