• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you do a soft reboot?

excelfan

Newbie
Verizon Nexus BTW...occasionally (once a day?) while I'm surfing on the browser, the 4G connection will get "stuck" during the loading of a page. I will lose the connection right in the middle of loading, and the loading progress bar would be stuck there. Sometimes it will reconnect after a couple seconds.

Sometimes I can get the connection back by simply shutting down the browser and reopening. Other times I'm just outta luck and retry later. However, shutting down the phone and rebooting works 99% of the time. But is there a way to do a "soft reboot" where I'm not totally shutting the phone down?
 
Not really. The only other thing you could try though, to see, would be to toggle Airplane mode on/off, to see if it refreshes your connection.
 
You can do some kind of soft-reboot using various reboot apps/widgets but I don't recommend it.

I get exactly the problem you describe, much less lately though. Sometimes turning data off for a few seconds, then back on (you want to wait until the data connection is truly gone --- I usually wait until the bars are grey, they'll usualy jump in number too, say from 3 to 2 bars once the data is really off). Or toggle airplane mode --- again waiting a few seconds for airplane mode to truly kick in... just toggling it on/off too quickly wont do much.

Then my data connection will be stronger and the webpages will load. Sometimes its faster to toggle airplane mode rather than wait for the phone itself to re-connect. I'm on 4.1.1 stock at the moment, but have always thought 4.0.4 had less issues like this...
 
Back
Top Bottom