• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you spend your new years?

Shinji01

Android Enthusiast
Just out this forum up because I thought it may be fun to find out what people are doing and how they rally feel about it.

As for me I will be working until nine on the 31st, go home, feed my dog and watch some movies I taped.
No special food, or party.

But ideally you should be eating noodles during countdown because it symbolizes long life and prosperity,

On the 1st I will go visit a Japanese shrine to wish for a healthy and safe year, and then visit my aunts house for some sake and sushi. ( sushi is often served on celebrations).

I am sure there will be some traditional new years food like rice cakes in soup, egg roles, sweet cooked beans, bamboo sprouts etc.

Then I will go home and go back to work on the 2nd.

However it is customary for us to have a holiday from the 28th until the 3rd in Japan.

Also all department store begin their new years sale on the 2nd so every lady wi ll be going crazy shopping.

So, how about you guys?

I enjoy seeing the new year in with a few beverages so I always stay home. I share my home with friends and family to see the new year in and I have an old 26" school bell mounted in the front yard that I always run out and ring at the stroke of midnight. New years day it's been a family tradition to consume black-eyed peas. I have no idea where that started but it's supposed to bring good fortune for the new year.

My wife insists on black eyed peas for good luck on New Year also! :)

We usually make a toast at midnight, thankful for the blessings we had this year and hoping for the best in the next.

On New Year's day, they often have marathons of tv series. I enjoy a relaxing day watching one of those.

Everything else we vary by spur of the moment each year. Easy to find a good, crazy party and just as easy to stay away and avoid crazy.

I celebrated new years when I was younger. Now I just don't care. It's just another day.
I'm not superstitious so I don't have any rituals, and I'm thankful for blessings everyday anyway.

I don't make resolutions because I'm the type of guy that makes any changes for the better whenever I feel I need them.

I'm squarely in the "eh, it's just another night" camp, and don't usually do anything, but I think I'll have some noodles at midnight like Shinji says I should. :) (Udon OK?)

I'm squarely in the "eh, it's just another night" camp, and don't usually do anything, but I think I'll have some noodles at midnight like Shinji says I should. :) (Udon OK?)

I'm the same way although I'll probably go to bed early. I'm exhausted in general and burned out.

Going to a friend's place. Lots of drinking, merriment and partying. At the stroke of midnight, a bottle of sparkles is opened and everyone is wished a Happy New Year. All of the couples kiss.

Chalk another tally on the "just another day... Nothing special" side of the board.

I'll be sleeping when the ball drops (assuming they haven't changed that).

Ugh, 3 years ago i would've been out getting hammered, pulling an all-nighter and going to work the next day with 3 monster energy drinks in hand (no seriously, work sucked:))

Tonight im drinking with the wife watching SUPERNATURAL while the twins are asleep and the 2-year -old watches Dora the Explorer. Such a sad life i lead ;)

Yeahhhhh, tally up another for it's just another day of the year. It was fun yrs back, but these days I don't feel any kind of importance to it anymore. I'm an early bird anyways, so I'm typically knocked out by like 10:30-11:00 PM.

Yeahhhhh, tally up another for it's just another day of the year. It was fun yrs back, but these days I don't feel any kind of importance to it anymore. I'm an early bird anyways, so I'm typically knocked out by like 10:30-11:00 PM.

You know you made the post at 1:30am? Lol I just got home from partying :D

I stayed sober so my wife could enjoy herself when we went to her friends house. Just a few of us couples hung out and played games. Kids ran around and played. Was nice to do something where it was kid friendly, still able to let loose a little (my wife not me).

Mimosas - breakfast of champions!! - while watching the Saints ahead at half.

Plus - last night I snagged the ban on our first spammer this year. BETWEEN party kisses.

Black eyed peas ftw!

Next year, I am going for the ramen!

at friend's house to start the fun.. drinking..
then to club to ring in the new year...
kiss from my date..
another friend started a fight..
so, we all left..
back to friends place for some Karaoke..

home at 4:30am..

I'd love to say recovering from some redeye, but instead I was recovering from some pinkeye...

I' m back from being sucked in to a little bit of the new years rituals in japan, and so happy to see all the replies here :)

it's already the 2nd in Tokyo right now, and after going to bed at 11:30on the 31st, I went to the Meiji Jingu Shrine to wish for a happy and safe year to the Japanese "kami" /gods.

Then went to my au nts house where she gave me otoshidama, a little paper envelope with money in it.
Usually you get them when your a little kid, but I still got mine despite inching in to my thirties...

We ate sushi and drank sake as predicted, and went home around nine.

Then I washed the dog, and went to bed.

Today the train I saw a whole lot of kids going to toy store to buy games etc with their otoshidama. While the moms will be running off to buy clothes in the new year bargain.

Oh, tons of girls walking around with "lucky bags" which is a huge shopping bag filled with random items from the store that costs about 300buck but you ony pay 50 bucks for them.
They say it's a great way to test your luck for the year, it I never buy them because you may end up with a bag full of crap.

As for the udon, apparently it has to be soba, but any type of noodle should be fine for long life and prosperty since its the shape that matters.

I can't wait until the tv goes back to its normal schedule!
Even cable tv channels are slacks off and just showing reruns of 24 from season one.

I' m back from being sucked in to a little bit of the new years rituals in japan, and so happy to see all the replies here :)

it's already the 2nd in Tokyo right now, and after going to bed at 11:30on the 31st, I went to the Meiji Jingu Shrine to wish for a happy and safe year to the Japanese "kami" /gods.

Then went to my au nts house where she gave me otoshidama, a little paper envelope with money in it.
Usually you get them when your a little kid, but I still got mine despite inching in to my thirties...

Today the train I saw a whole lot of kids going to toy store to buy games etc with their otoshidama. While the moms will be running off to buy clothes in the new year bargain.

Oh, tons of girls walking around with "lucky bags" which is a huge shopping bag filled with random items from the store that costs about 300buck but you ony pay 50 bucks for them.
They say it's a great way to test your luck for the year, it I never buy them because you may end up with a bag full of crap.

As for the udon, apparently it has to be soba, but any type of noodle should be fine for long life and prosperty since its the shape that matters.

Even cable tv channels are slacks off and just showing reruns of 24 from season one.

that would be a great here in usa...
i wonder if it will ever catch on here...

that would be a great here in usa...
i wonder if it will ever catch on here...

Maybe Not for the new years, but for your Xmas bargains and stuff would be a great idea.

We don't get sales and bargains around Xmas.
So buying gifts is sooooo expensive.

You know you made the post at 1:30am? Lol I just got home from partying :D

Yeah. I had company over my house, but I felt bad kicking them out. I just so happened to still be awake, which is an extremely rare occasion. I am very lucky to have never suffered from sleep deprivation.

I am almost jealous that you live in Japan. It's #1 to do (visit Japan) on my bucket list.

EDIT: What makes me sad the most is my extreme allergy to any/all kinds of seafood (with the weird exception of tuna) :(

Back
Top Bottom