• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you unroot a completely dead phone?

Lord Vader

Android Enthusiast
Earlier this week I picked up the EVO LTE for my father, who had the OG EVO. His new EVO LTE had a defect--there was no sound at all. I unrooted it and returned it for an exchange on Wednesday. Today he calls to tell me that his 2nd EVO LTE is now completely, absolutely dead. It won't turn on at all.

For some inexplicable reason, it rebooted itself several times this morning, then turned off. Since then, he has been totally unable to turn it back on. This worries me, because if I'm going to return it, how can I unroot it and apply the RUU to get rid of the "tampered" notice?
 
Have you tried plugging it up to a charger for a bit then powering it on? It's possible the battery is just completely dead.
 
My sister is bringing me the phone today to check out. My dad said the last charge before it went dead indicated 70%.
 
Well if it wont turn on they have no way of knowing its been "tampered".

Did you put a custom ROM on there?

I would NOT root his next phone when he gets it. Make sure its actually a good unit before rooting it.
 
My sister dropped the phone off about a half hour ago. I've had it connected, tried pressing the various keys to get it operating, etc. No luck.

Suddenly, 5 minutes ago, sitting on my desk unconnected to any charger, the phone turns on. I was able to unroot it and apply the RUU. Now it's off to the Sprint store for yet another exchange. BTW, the charge level read 67%.
 
A FWIW update...

I went back to the Sprint store (thank God it's a corporate store only 3.5 miles from me), and when I walked in, they literally asked, "Now what's wrong?" :p

They couldn't even turn it on, so they gave me the 3rd LTE EVO this week to give to my irritated father. The store manager said they've had only 3 LTE EVOs returned since they began selling them almost a month ago. Of these 3 returned, I've returned 2 of them.
 
Back
Top Bottom